Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 - Part 2  (Read 125450 times)

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Zoom F8 - Part 2
« Reply #360 on: July 09, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »
Not all the contacts are the same

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 06:06:59 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #361 on: July 09, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
Have you set the battery type to NiMH in the menu system?  You have a choice of alkaline, lithium or NiMH, if it is set to Li or alkaline the NiMH voltage may be too low for the machine to turn on.

Jeff

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #362 on: July 10, 2016, 12:08:14 AM »
Have you set the battery type to NiMH in the menu system?  You have a choice of alkaline, lithium or NiMH, if it is set to Li or alkaline the NiMH voltage may be too low for the machine to turn on.

Jeff

You're probably set on Lithium Dustin.  My charged NiMH batteries power it fine when the setting is either NiMH or Alkaline, but it won't power on from NiMH batteries when the unit is set at Lithium.

Offline sixnon

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #363 on: July 10, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »

3. In dual channel recording mode the pots no. 5-8 were still active. This should not be the case since the safety tracks should be set automatically to -12db in relation to the primary tracks.

Greyfoxx, Piero and Sixnon in the jwsoundgroup forum had similar issues with their F8's. So it's not an isolated case.

I just hope the problems are software-related and can be eliminated with a firmware update.

Is it the case that this "should" be the case? I thought that logically it should be so, but the manual suggests it is simply a separate recording i.e. suggesting the levels can be set independently. One can't use the trim link function to set a common -12db or the like, because when channels are trim linked they are linked with the same levels automatically.

It seems very counterintuitive in an other wise pretty decent machine.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #364 on: July 11, 2016, 05:59:25 PM »
I bet that is what it is.

It acted a little funny at the show this happened at. Several things were changed for the display and stuff. Was weird.

How hot are you guys running your f8's line in via 1/4"? I keep oushing it a little further each show. Still some headroom in there based on how much im still boosted levels in post

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #365 on: July 29, 2016, 06:28:32 PM »
I have ordered my F8 and now only need to sort out powering before it arrives.

Oddly the Zoom manual and spec sheet say no more about the DC input than it is 12V with centre positive. But what size is it?
5.5mm outer 2.5mm inner?
5.5mm outer 2.1mm inner?
Something else?
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #366 on: July 30, 2016, 10:07:10 PM »
are you planning to use dc input and hirose? that is what i do for festivals and such

i use internal AA's and the hirose for regular shows

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #367 on: July 30, 2016, 11:46:14 PM »
I believe its 5.5mm outer 2.1mm inner. I use it and the hirose port also.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #368 on: July 31, 2016, 12:28:19 PM »
My immediate time-frame is tight, so I may not have the luxury of making up Hirose connectors. In that case, I will use the DC in. Still looking for a definitive answer on the connector size so I order the right thing! (Got a couple PMs out.)

Will likely keep a set of AA in the unit as backup. I am doing field recording and don't need extraordinarily long run times.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #369 on: July 31, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »
whats your time frame? i have one ted made =me naztech > hirose and naztech dc in. i actually left my naztechs in chicago after phish at my buddies house and ive been using my tekkeon setup that i already had cables made for too

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #370 on: July 31, 2016, 01:20:08 PM »
i finally got the ballsw to really jam on the 3d printed knobs. love them now!

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #371 on: July 31, 2016, 01:23:54 PM »
whats your time frame? i have one ted made =me naztech > hirose and naztech dc in. i actually left my naztechs in chicago after phish at my buddies house and ive been using my tekkeon setup that i already had cables made for too

Well, I'm across the Atlantic and need them for Friday. But I have a PM into Ted for information. :-)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #372 on: July 31, 2016, 11:28:28 PM »
Do I understand correctly that with this: https://www.zoom-na.com/products/product-accessories/zoom-exh-6-dual-xrltrs-input-capsule-zoom-h5-and-h6

you can run 10 channels into the f8?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #373 on: August 01, 2016, 12:03:08 AM »
No.  It does 8 channels in (recording L/R mix for a total of 10).  When you use the "mic capsule" from the H6 or other Zoom mic attachments, directly or via the extension cable, it is assigned to tracks 1 and 2, and you can't use tracks 1 and 2 via XLRs.

Jeff

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #374 on: August 01, 2016, 06:06:29 AM »

Well, I'm across the Atlantic and need them for Friday. But I have a PM into Ted for information. :-)

hmm. well that is def a tight schedule to get em all the way there! id have sent u mine if it were possible. I wont be needing them until i retrieve my batteries from ~5hrs away on my next trip to the city.

its been years since ive shipped anything across. i have no idea how long it takes anymore

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.141 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com