Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)  (Read 127438 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »
Any update from anyone rockin' a R-07? How's it sound?

~Chris

From B&H: Expected availability: May 31, 2018

In Europe is avaliable since two weeks ago.

Nice machine. I owe one.

^Yes.  Have you used the R-07 to record a loud show running external mics yet?  That is what we're all curious about.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:59:42 PM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

obsidian

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2018, 07:22:12 PM »
It's taking a lot longer than I thought for the new units to actually have some "in concert" reviews with both internal and external Mic setups. Hopefully someone soon will help the rest of us in deciding whether to pull out the credit card or not.

:cheers:

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2018, 07:59:22 AM »

Just got this e-mail notice from B&H:

Now available for purchase online:  Roland R-07 Portable Audio Recorder -   BUY ONLINE 

B&H showed that they have Red & White R-07's are available.  The Black units had this note: More on the Way.  Expected availability: 7-10 business days.  Free Expedited Shipping

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2018, 06:16:14 PM »
bought one last night

plenty on ebay in all colors, $229 free ship

ebay has 10-25% sitewide coupons now and again, but i was impatient as im going to a show on friday
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »
bought one last night

ebay has 10-25% sitewide coupons now and again, but i was impatient as im going to a show on friday

^Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this machine!

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2018, 10:27:02 PM »
Pre-ordered one of these from B&H when they were first announced, and received mine, earlier today. Some observations (having recorded nothing more so far, than my own voice)...

Being a longtime fan of the R-09HR, which I've owned multiple units of, since they first came out in 2007... I could totally love this thing based on form factor alone! It's tiny (feels similar to the R-05 it replaces, which was smaller than the prior R-09HR model). It's sexy as hell, but I have a few major beefs with it, right out of the box...

Bluetooth connectivity (I own a Pixel XL) is crap. I've gotten the devices to pair once, which allowed me to to play around a bit with the downloaded app, which gave me a limited feel for the functionality of the app as a remote. The function I liked/hoped for, and wasn't sure would be present, was the ability to adjust gain from my phone. However, once the 2 devices were paired, whether I attempted to do so on the phone or the R-07 itself, an audible tick could be heard when moving in the range of 1-59 (the scale runs 0-100, unlike it's 2 predecessors, which ran 0-80). I've not been able to reconnect since, and this is with the units side-by-side (good luck, further apart)! Also, the omission of a dedicated line in, which all 3 of their prior portable models had, really makes me wonder what Roland was thinking...

I bought this recorder to use in 1 of 2 circumstances: >:D , or those situations where the sbd is not in an opportune spot, so that I could clamp/set up a stand more ideally, yet remotely start/stop a board patch, and adjust levels from a distance. The squirelly Bluetooth and the audible clicks are a no go for me. If a firmware update shores these up in the future, I can always repurchase, but for now, this sucker's likely goin back. I'll try to talk to some tech tomorrow, but not very optimistic, at the moment. Sorry for the ugly news...

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:12:52 PM by sos »
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2018, 02:15:17 AM »
'Zipper noise' when adjusting digital gain is a common problem - typically gain is being stepped not smoothly adjusted.  How noticable it is depends a lot on what you are recording.

Offline KenOrwell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2018, 07:19:50 AM »
Pre-ordered one of these from B&H when they were first announced, and received mine, earlier today. Some observations (having recorded nothing more so far, than my own voice)...

Being a longtime fan of the R-09HR, which I've owned multiple units of, since they first came out in 2007... I could totally love this thing on form factor alone! It's tiny (feels similar to the R-05 it replaces, which was smaller than the prior R-09HR model). It's sexy as hell, but I have a few major beefs with it, right out of the box...

Bluetooth connectivity (I own a Pixel XL) is crap. I've gotten the devices to pair once, which allowed me to to play around a bit with the downloaded app, which gave me a limited feel for the functionality of the app as a remote. The function I liked/hoped for, and wasn't sure would be present, was the ability to adjust gain from my phone. However, once the 2 devices were paired, whether I attempted to do so on the phone or the R-07 itself, an audible tick could be heard when moving in the range of 1-59 (the scale runs 0-100, unlike it's 2 predecessors, which ran 0-80). I've not been able to reconnect since, and this is with the units side-by-side (good luck, further apart)! Also, the omission of a dedicated line in, which all 3 of their prior portable models had, really makes me wonder what Roland was thinking...

I bought this recorder to use in 1 of 2 circumstances: >:D , or those situations where the sbd is not in an opportune spot, so that I could clamp/set up a stand more ideally, yet remotely start/stop a board patch, and adjust levels from a distance. The squirelly Bluetooth and the audible clicks are a no go for me. If a firmware update shores these up in the future, I can always repurchase, but for now, this sucker's likely goin back. I'll try to talk to some tech tomorrow, but not very optimistic, at the moment. Sorry for the ugly news...

Totally agree. Mine has same problems. I don't understand the zipping tick noise moving the input level. I write to Roland Tech about this.

This is the email:

Andrea.fortuna@roland.com

I'm thinking about returning it too. I don't know yet because I love the unit but the Bluetooth system (pairing, monitoring and you can not send files via Bluetooth, OMG) is really a crap and a lot of noise changing the input level.  Here in Europe, the unit cost 225€, I'm thinking to buy the Olympus LS-P4 then. Someone knows which recorder sound better (internal mics)?

Offline KenOrwell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2018, 07:25:16 AM »

Being a longtime fan of the R-09HR, which I've owned multiple units of, since they first came out in 2007... I could totally love this thing on form factor alone! It's tiny (feels similar to the R-05 it replaces, which was smaller than the prior R-09HR model). It's sexy as hell, but I have a few major beefs with it, right out of the box...

Please, quote me if you receive an answer of any tech.

Offline KenOrwell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2018, 07:38:30 AM »
Review from https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61074495

b&h sent me the email and i pounced on the red r-07 yesterday and i'm setting it up now. as i had read, many very nice features and smaller than even i could imagine--it's going to be a perfect pair for my tiny sony rx0.

i haven't even yet tried a test recording as i wanted to work through the advanced manual first, but i'm liking everything i see. the app is a little primitive--i sure was hoping you could use the r-07 menu system from the app, but it's not possible. i also need to test the bt monitoring and using it as a midi device. bt has aptx but not aptx-hd.

they've designed it to look like it's much smaller and has an aluminum cage like the ones for video cameras surrounding it, but it's all one piece. it does feel more plastic-y than my sony and some of the covers feel a little flimsy, but i'm careful with such things. the micro sd compartment is very badly designed as a hinged cover keep you from inserting and removing the card easily although you can utilized the cover to push down and lever out the card although i'm sure it wasn't what they had in mind. luckily, with bt i won't have to remove the card every time and there's always the usb at last resort--my mac's usb bus is a nightmare.

the power slider isn't as positive as i'd like and hard to tell if you're sliding it or not, but it is recessed so that it shouldn't come on accidently. but, imo, the worst control is the actual /record/ button which is a tiny dot recessed in the middle of a dpad. there are buttons like 20x larger and imo they could have left off all of them except the /menu/ button to give me a larger /record/ button.

ok, still setting up. more later. so far i'm a very happy camper as i wanted an ultra-portable with bt capability and roland delivered.
[ later note: there's an apple watch app, btw. you can control it from the watch once you've connected it to your iphone. ]

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2018, 08:43:28 AM »
It was the DR-60D from Tascam which suffered from zipper noise when changing levels.  According to the TS thread on that recorder, people were putting up videos on YouTube to complain about it.  Dunno whether they fixed it in firmware updates later.   Google for dr-60d zipper and you'll find references to it.  Perhaps it's inherent in digital pots.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2018, 05:58:35 PM »
bought one last night

^Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this machine!

it landed

unfortuantely im going straight to a show tonight

afraid to adjust levels based on what ive read

one upside- maybe the fact that gain acts differently from 0-59 than from 60-100 means that it does in fact discriminate between line and mic signals

planning on running 4V>nbobs>tinybox>r07 but its an open situation i might run a backup rig with some combo of CMRs

my tinybox has a headphone out so i may just run that to my oade mod pmd661

just getting back into taping after a few years, and was like - man i got a lot of shit!  :shrug:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:11:57 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2018, 06:37:31 AM »
impressed!

ran 4v>nbobs>tinybox>r07 it was flawless

bluetooth app worked great it was a real treat. can start/stop/drop marks and tracks/adjust level, but no monitoring

r07 in power save mode has no flashing lights or anything - with the phone app its super stealth  >:D

none of the buttons have backlighting but you literally only need the menu button and the 4-way joy pad. i feel confident i could operate in dark even  if i was less than sober.

I didnt mess with "dual low level backup recording" because that would have required me to RTFM

some cool extra features for musicians- has a built in metronome and tuner

opener+main act was over 2 hours - recorder is still showing battery as full on 2 alkalines  :cheers:

ran the tinybox on low gain R-07 input levels were around 35-40
at mid gain the input levels were ~10. mighta been better but i didnt want to overload it

i did half the opening band with 4vs+tinybox (first 16 min at midgain on TB, then dropped to low gain and increased input level on R-07), the other half with R07's internal mics, internal mics werent awful. chatty bar crowd hurt a little with the lack of directionality

opening band mk4v+tinybox
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dE2PWBVYxWlYFdJKMfcl4nMybsOYSYYh/view?usp=sharing

opening band w/ R-07 omnis
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XZqChhMVTmN_mjtGrl-PBvJhsNogKhXi/view?usp=sharing

heres the main act (Consider the Source) 4V>TB at low gain all the way

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XhZ-Xp5WqB_UNIOnZ2iqH2om-HLBh3uj/view?usp=sharing

**i did not hear any audible clicking with level adjustments. of course its stepped if you go too fast you will hear it. if you bump it up or down a notch at a time "on the one" it is fine.**
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:15:07 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2018, 08:52:20 AM »
^Thanks for your feedback!  Your observations sound much more positive than what was anticipated.  When is your next show with the R-07?

:cheers:

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2018, 09:53:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing the real world samples (and for recording CTS...great band!).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com