Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UPDATE: MBHO U.S. Retailer Success!  (Read 10874 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: UPDATE: MBHO U.S. Retailer Success!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 06:54:12 AM »
Do you have the 603's or the 603A's? You should ditch the 603's and try out the 604's or 604A's ;D 8) The 604's are TINY from the 1 or 2 pics ive seen of them. Im sure the 604A's would kick some major ass. Ive been wanting to get something new w/ out spending too much, and if I sell teh 603A bodies, I can get the 604A's without much hassle/struggle, and not to much more money probably :) I read a review of the 604+KA200N Card capsule and the reviewer LOVED the combo. Said the mics were still VERY detailed but not fatiguing at all, and the cards/subs/hypers dont have that high-end sharpness that often makes recordings fatiguing to listen to. And I couldnt agree anymore even w/ the 603A's and the cards/hypers. They DEF dont have the AKG 480 'bite' that I was used to, and I couldnt be happier about that. I bet teh 604/604A's have a SWEET lowend too. The 603A/KA500 combo NEVER gets too fatiguing. I sometimes have to add a little lowend but thats because the mix at the show. If there is ample lowend liek I like, then the 603A/KA500 combo picks it up in ALL its glory 8)

Wonder when the 604s will come out, they sound pretty good!  I love the size and modular system.  Hope they will be affordable.  8)

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_mbho_mbp_microphone/

edit: I just noticed that the review article I posted was dated 3/05, so I guess these mics have been out awhile already, but they are not listed on MBHO's homepage under 'product.'  Anyone know if these are still made/sold?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 02:46:50 PM by su6oxone »

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 11:42:30 PM »
Bean,

I have the 603's non-actives. I really like these mics! I think I'll be sticking with this combo for a while. That's why I invested in the subs. And I'm really diggin' the MBHO>702 combo a lot. I may try to get out this weekend and tape a local band just to try the subs. I'm really itching to try them out.

I emailed a thank you to Dan Ross at Dale Pro Audio and mentioned the 604's. Perhaps he'll send me some info which I'll share with the rest of y'all.

I know, I know....I've been looking at that figure 8 cap as well. I've been hearing some really good recordings with the Schoeps MK21/MK4 and the figure 8 cap. I'm liking it! I can't afford it now but some day I'll get me one. Not to say that I'm comparing the Schoeps with the MBHO line, just opens up the curiosity of the MBHO M/S possibility.

;D
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 03:45:28 AM »
Bean,

I have the 603's non-actives. I really like these mics! I think I'll be sticking with this combo for a while. That's why I invested in the subs. And I'm really diggin' the MBHO>702 combo a lot. I may try to get out this weekend and tape a local band just to try the subs. I'm really itching to try them out.

I emailed a thank you to Dan Ross at Dale Pro Audio and mentioned the 604's. Perhaps he'll send me some info which I'll share with the rest of y'all.

I know, I know....I've been looking at that figure 8 cap as well. I've been hearing some really good recordings with the Schoeps MK21/MK4 and the figure 8 cap. I'm liking it! I can't afford it now but some day I'll get me one. Not to say that I'm comparing the Schoeps with the MBHO line, just opens up the curiosity of the MBHO M/S possibility.

;D

Yes, please dont compare MBHO to Schoeps :P ;D

MBHO's are the way those other German mics SHOULD SOUND ;D The MBHO's dont have an overly bloated lowend, and you are ACTUALLY LISTENING to the detail of the live performance w/ the MBHO's, whereas w/ the Schoeps, youre listening to the characteristics of the Schoeps rather than the detail of the actual performance. *ducks*
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 05:53:17 AM »

MBHO's are the way those other German mics SHOULD SOUND ;D The MBHO's dont have an overly bloated lowend, and you are ACTUALLY LISTENING to the detail of the live performance w/ the MBHO's, whereas w/ the Schoeps, youre listening to the characteristics of the Schoeps rather than the detail of the actual performance. *ducks*

I like the way you put this.  I actually had a friend say this almost exact statement last week.   T+  Peace OOK
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 05:54:49 AM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 08:01:33 AM »
I used to feel the same way about schoeps.  didnt care for the coloration at all. 

but....
after many stereo upgrades, I now own them and do actually find them "all that", plus chips and a big ol' dill pickle.

That said, MBHOs do sound nice and smooth.  I went to SS to buy a pair of 184s once and Marc sold me on the 603a's after doing an hour or so of critical listening on his system. 
I should dig up my old HO' blumlein recordings and seed them again.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 09:11:08 AM »

Yep, don't compare them to Schoeps unless you have run them both extensively....because there is no comparison, period.  In any decent recording studio you are much more likely to find a pair of Schoeps than a pair of MBHOs.  You think Schoeps has been around this long for no reason?  You think that they can get away with their 'bloated' pricing for no reason?  Talk it up all you want because deep down, you all would trade your 603/KA200 for a pair of cmc64s in a heartbeat :P

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 09:24:37 AM »
I've run the HOs for about a year+, schoeps only two times ...until this past spring where I have run them maybe 6 times or so.  They are on a whole other level to my ear.  Air, detail, space...reality!

but thats just me.  YMMV.
I still think the LSD2 is one of the best concert taping mics out there, given its price vs. performance value.  Unless you've got a very resolving and dynamic playback rig, you are hard pressed to really do better.
but thats just me...again.

1/15th the price of schoeps rig to do the same types of recording.

any way, sorry for the hi-jack.
great score on the caps.  those should sound pretty bad-ass. 

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 07:01:18 PM »
Me too, it is more the other way around as I did a Fuji Rock run with 648/KA200s and I will admit that the MBHO is a good choice in a bass heavy PA enironment away from the stage.    I think MBHOs are defintely bright mics and a bit shy in the bass (that is why it pairs well for Bean and his 722).  603/KA200s remind me of Josephson C42s more than cmc64s.  Do Josephsons use MBHO diaphram assmeblies? 

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 11:38:05 PM »
Here's what I received from Dan Ross regarding the 604's...

"The MBP604n is a descendant of the MBP603. The MBP604n may be used with a variety of capsules from the MBHO line (KA100, 1000, 300 etc). They have a transformerless output with a compact design (only three inches)"

Only 3 inches long! Wow!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 01:22:42 AM »
 :-X
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 08:32:38 AM »
Here's what I received from Dan Ross regarding the 604's...

"The MBP604n is a descendant of the MBP603. The MBP604n may be used with a variety of capsules from the MBHO line (KA100, 1000, 300 etc). They have a transformerless output with a compact design (only three inches)"

Only 3 inches long! Wow!

Dan Ross cut and pasted that from the mixonline article I linked above:

The MBP 604 N is a descendant of MBHO's MBP 603. The MBP 604 N may be used with a variety of capsules from the MBHO line (purchased separately), including the KA 100 LK (linear omni), KA 300 NB (wide cardioid), KA 800 A (figure-8) and KA 1000 N (large-diaphragm cardioid). I reviewed a matched pair of MBP 604 Ns (available at no extra charge) fitted with KA 200 N cardioid capsules.

The MBP 604 N features transformerless output, compact design (only three inches long) and operates on phantom power ranging from 24 to 48 volts DC. Frequency response with the KA 200 N is stated as 40 to 20k Hz. Preamp and capsule housings are constructed from solid brass and are nicely finished in matte black. Capsules screw smoothly to the preamp tube, and once secured, appear to be made from one piece.

What's odd is that the 604n is not listed on mbho's homepage (mbho.de).  Sounds cool though. 

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 09:26:27 AM »
they don't list their hyper, or fig8 caps on the homepage either...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:28:04 AM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 11:20:59 AM »
I've found about what you guys have found on the 604's. I've also found that Oleg has posted in several forums about the 604's. I'm intrigued now and want to know more about these mics. I saw in another site that the mic and capsule is 8 cm long. Just over three inches! That's pretty amazing. And I also saw a pic of it in active form.

http://www.sounddog.co.kr/products/mbho/mini.htm

Figure 8 and hypers here:

http://www.atlasproaudio.com/mbho.html

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 11:31:43 AM »
right, but I was just surprised that they (hypers,fig8) weren't on MBHO's own website.  So i can't find plots for either of those caps.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline oleg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 10:42:41 AM »
can someone please post capsule pricing? thanks!

From Dale Pro Audio...$319 each, $638 for the pair, $12 shipping by UPS. I got them as a matched pair with sequential serial numbers.

even with shipping to usa we are cheaper :-)
by the way the 604 par for these who like 720 euro incl shipping to usa
really good mics , i use them regulary for sfx and dialog recording
best

oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com