Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Leaving mics outside over night?  (Read 8225 times)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Leaving mics outside over night?
« on: January 05, 2009, 12:59:07 PM »
I have to record some animal sounds, specifically geese in their pen at night. 

Would any of you guys leave your mics outside, but covered with a roof, but otherwise in an open pen overnight? 

Suggestions, thoughts?
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline bluelawn

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • tape with what you got
Re: Leaving mics outside over night?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 01:17:26 PM »
cheaper mics than you have listed in your sig - sure
ie: my at4041s,
geffels, dpa's & the like... nope
Milab VM-44 Links > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10
Audio-Technica 4041s > Sound Devices MixPre > Tascam DR-05

http://phishhook.com/lists/bluelawn

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=nochajski&sort=-date

Offline mr qpl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 02:20:43 PM »
first of all, where do you live and what night are you leaving them out? >:D

I think that if you keep them dry (roof) and then use the silica moisture absorbers for a night or so after, everything should be ok, however, all bets is off if you live near the ocean.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »
first of all, where do you live and what night are you leaving them out? >:D

I think that if you keep them dry (roof) and then use the silica moisture absorbers for a night or so after, everything should be ok, however, all bets is off if you live near the ocean.

I do live about 3 miles from the beach and about 500 yards from the intra-coastal waterway.  Good point about the beach though, hadn't thought of that.  Maybe I'll find some cheap mic to use instead.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »
Wasn't a DPA microphone left in a fisherman's tacklebox for a year only to operate to spec once removed ??  Also, doesn't DPA recommend cleaning their miniature mics with distilled water?  Now, salty humid air and distilled water are drastically different, but I can't imagine the mic (if housed in a windscreen and covered from rain) being damaged from this. 

Just be sure, 'dry' the microphone in the least humid area you find once it's all over.  I'm not even sure that's needed. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:28:20 PM by AudBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mr qpl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 04:22:49 PM »
spoken from experience. :'(

Never leave anything you value out in salt water, salt water spray, mist or whatever, it's really near acidic in its corrosive capabilities

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 05:39:22 PM »

Would any of you guys leave your mics outside, but covered with a roof, but otherwise in an open pen overnight? 

Suggestions, thoughts?

This is common in wildlife recording, but I would only do it with certain dynamics and Sennheiser MKH (RF condenser) microphones.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 06:22:52 PM »
^^^
Self-polarized 'back-electret' mics also generally fair far better than externally polarized (non-RF) condensers in humid conditions.  That's perhaps a factor for the DPAs surviving the fish box without ill effect.  I never heard that story before.  I've done this plenty of times with 4060s for frogs, sqeaking boats, etc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:50:26 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 06:37:37 PM »
I seem to recall reading the tacklebox story on this board some time ago, but did find some discussion here.  That's good to know about self-polarized mics.  I'll be sure to take my electrets next time when out in the field.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »

Suggestions, thoughts?

Mics - I bought a pair of behringer C-2 mics for such 'dangerous' missions -

Random eBay example for $59

They do actually sound good, only down side (IMO) is they have a little more self-noise than the more expensive equivalents (but also if there is background wind/rustling it won't be noticable). So depends on how hi-fi the recording has to be? I'd recommend the C-2's for people here wanting to record from the mosh-pit :)

Here is a similar example of a recording of ducks & geese from a C2 pair...

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=39712

and a pic of the recording in session...

Everyone should have a pair of these in their arsenal :)

Other points...overnight recordings can be very boring, been there done that on a number of occasions :) It helps alot if your recorder has an auto-split function so that you can specify 1 hour chunks or something.
I love the R09HR for this.

You can also wrap your mics in food grade cling-wrap (they are safe from moisture and condensation then), that will work very well, done that with my C2s and AT3032s, if you keep a tightly stretched film over the capsule then there is no noticeable effect on the sound.

You will notice I am using a tripod, I prefer to use one out in the field as it's light-weight & stable. The pan/tilt head allows you to level the mics when the ground isn't

BTW: where is your recorder going to be?

digifish
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:15:22 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 07:30:23 PM »
That is a great shot.

Wonder if that looks strange to a normal passerby ;D
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 08:31:20 PM »
..overnight recordings can be very boring, been there done that on a number of occasions :)

Oh so true!  Prepare for lots of FWD..FWD.....FWD......FWD........FWD or visual wave scanning in your editor looking find the 'good bits'.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 12:24:39 AM »
..overnight recordings can be very boring, been there done that on a number of occasions :)

...or visual wave scanning in your editor looking find the 'good bits'.

Which are usually so quiet they can't be seen :)
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 01:55:31 AM »
That is a great shot.

Wonder if that looks strange to a normal passerby ;D

I definitely worried a few people :)
- What's this knob do?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 11:53:58 AM »
...overnight recordings can be very boring, been there done that on a number of occasions :)

Not a dedicated wildlife recordist then.  ;D

The way to do it is to have a camper van - set out the mics in the evening, run the cable into the van and go to bed.

Set the alarm for 2AM (or whatever) and start the recording listening comfortably from your bed and going back to sleep again if you wish.  ;D

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 12:10:26 PM »
FWIW, I've just returned from a two-week photo/audio recording holiday on the French side of the English channel, mainly recording industrial noises in places like the Dunkirk harbour and along various canals in the region. Much of this happened just a few yards away from the North Sea.

Climatic conditions ranged from +10 deg c and rel. humidity so bad I had to stop taking photos because of condensation on the front lens to -4 deg c at force 6 winds and a constant fine salt spray gathering on the car's windscreen. All this for hours on end, mainly during nighttime.

I've been using two Rode NT2-A and two Behringer B2 Pro, always with foam windscreens and furs on top.  At times, the windscreens were so damp I could almost squeeze drops of water out of them. Never the slightest problem with any of those mics.

From my expericence, the enemy lurks in quite different corners where you wouldn't expect him, e.g. bits and pieces on the mic stands rattling in the wind and you don't notice this until back home, or a beautifully calm night atmosphere in the harbour of Boulogne-sur-Mer ruined by the endless barking of a pool full of seals at the nearby aquatic zoo.

In my experience, mics are a lot tougher than most people think.

Cheers,
Ralf
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 01:06:48 PM by fotoralf.be »
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 12:12:58 PM »
I seem to recall reading the tacklebox story on this board some time ago, but did find some discussion here.  That's good to know about self-polarized mics.  I'll be sure to take my electrets next time when out in the field.

DPA has an article which can be found by searching their site with "fishing."  To save you the trouble I have copied the pertinent paragraph:

"Environmental tests
When a new design has seen the light of day at DPA Microphones, it has to undergo numerous environmental tests to get approved as a new product. Some of the key points of DPA's standard environmental tests are listed below:

Among the more bizarre tests was two 4006 microphones put in the toolbox on a fishing boat and exposed to shocks, vibrations, oil and salt water. After one year in the toolbox, they still kept their specifications. Furthermore, the studio microphones were long-term tested in salt mist, to test their resistance towards corrosion. The influence of dust on the diaphragms was also tested by sprinkling talcum powder directly on the diaphragms of the pressure microphones. The difference in frequency response could not be measured. This effect is due to the tight diaphragms of these microphones, where additional weight has less influence on the performance. The soft diaphragms of the pressure gradient microphones are more sensitive to additional weight (dust), so a net is placed directly behind the protection grid and the back port to keep dust away from the diaphragm."

Don't try this at home, kids.     8)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:27:54 AM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »
Seems like a reasonable viking test proceedure.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 07:02:12 PM »
FWIW, I've just returned from a two-week photo/audio recording holiday on the French side of the English channel, mainly recording industrial noises in places like the Dunkirk harbour and along various canals in the region. Much of this happened just a few yards away from the North Sea.

Climatic conditions ranged from +10 deg c and rel. humidity so bad I had to stop taking photos because of condensation on the front lens to -4 deg c at force 6 winds and a constant fine salt spray gathering on the car's windscreen. All this for hours on end, mainly during nighttime.

I've been using two Rode NT2-A and two Behringer B2 Pro, always with foam windscreens and furs on top.  At times, the windscreens were so damp I could almost squeeze drops of water out of them. Never the slightest problem with any of those mics.

From my expericence, the enemy lurks in quite different corners where you wouldn't expect him, e.g. bits and pieces on the mic stands rattling in the wind and you don't notice this until back home, or a beautifully calm night atmosphere in the harbour of Boulogne-sur-Mer ruined by the endless barking of a pool full of seals at the nearby aquatic zoo.

In my experience, mics are a lot tougher than most people think.

Cheers,
Ralf

Sounds like my kind of holiday Ralf :)

I am excited to hear about some large diaphragm condensers out in the field. You mention the unexpected sounds ruining a recording, I can agree with that, lately however I have been trying to take it as it comes, that is accept what I get as the recording, rather than what I thought it should be.

Are you a member of www.freesound.org BTW? I'd love to hear some of your captures...here's me.

There is a guy in the Netherlands (not far from you) uploading a few harbor sounds at freesound...

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=57913

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=20988

digifish
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:24:49 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »
Checking in as I intend to do a bit more wildlife recording over time.  Did some frogs last spring and it turned out allright.  I've done lake superior, as well, but will do that one again to get a much better recording than last time.  Some of you d00ds pulling some amazing sounding work here.  Well done!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 10:30:23 PM »
...Did some frogs last spring and it turned out allright..

My wildlife recording goal is to capture a really good Southern frog chorus.  I've moved around quite a bit in the US, but I've only heard it in FL/GA/SC.  The kind where the only sound is summer night, low level bug din, until the king fog of the pond lets out a massive wallop of a croak, followed by the croaks of his largest 6 henchmen, then all the midsized court royals join in, then the smaller guys, each addition growing in speed of croakage, the overall level getting louder and louder, still more little tiny guys chime in going full throttle, all building to a massive cacophony until the king lets out another giant bellow silencing everyone until he's ready to rip again.

Incredibly musical and dynamic, great counterpoint and swell.  I haven't found a good one since I got back into recording.

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 11:45:40 PM »
...Did some frogs last spring and it turned out allright..

My wildlife recording goal is to capture a really good Southern frog chorus.  I've moved around quite a bit in the US, but I've only heard it in FL/GA/SC.  The kind where the only sound is summer night, low level bug din, until the king fog of the pond lets out a massive wallop of a croak, followed by the croaks of his largest 6 henchmen, then all the midsized court royals join in, then the smaller guys, each addition growing in speed of croakage, the overall level getting louder and louder, still more little tiny guys chime in going full throttle, all building to a massive cacophony until the king lets out another giant bellow silencing everyone until he's ready to rip again.

Incredibly musical and dynamic, great counterpoint and swell.  I haven't found a good one since I got back into recording.

That's what I got last spring, but need to find a pond not so close to the road.  I picked up more damn highway noise than I'd have ever imagined.  There's another nice pond at this space, too (MN Landscape Arboretum), but wouldn't you know they built a fountain right next to it.  Louder than the damn highway!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

Offline beanstalk

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
I guy I know who used to have his own studio here in Tampa was telling me he was going a similar thing just recording some outdoor sounds at a local park. He set up under a shelter (it basicly a wood covering with picnic benches which they have here in florida at most parks) with his mic (AT825 mic I think) with a dead rat wind screen. A crow I guess had a nest up in the shelter and attacked the mic while recording. Knocked it off the stand and tried to rip apart the screen.
"I don't believe in a lot of things, but i do believe in duct tape."

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 10:33:01 AM »
I guy I know who used to have his own studio here in Tampa was telling me he was going a similar thing just recording some outdoor sounds at a local park. He set up under a shelter (it basicly a wood covering with picnic benches which they have here in florida at most parks) with his mic (AT825 mic I think) with a dead rat wind screen. A crow I guess had a nest up in the shelter and attacked the mic while recording. Knocked it off the stand and tried to rip apart the screen.

How brutal! I bet the recording was very interesting though!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 10:39:20 AM »

Suggestions, thoughts?

You can also wrap your mics in food grade cling-wrap (they are safe from moisture and condensation then), that will work very well, done that with my C2s and AT3032s, if you keep a tightly stretched film over the capsule then there is no noticeable effect on the sound.
digifish

Hey
I'm glad you mentioned plastic wrap!

one time at a Grateful Dead Show at Autzen Stadium, in like 94 - we were running my Toa-K1's spaced, and decided to use some plastic bags over the mic taped tight, and all connections taped tight with duct tape - sounded normal
I also think that plastic over the mics hardly colors the  normal sound( though it may be slightly different) I think it is a better option than an umbrella over the mics in the rain, as the rain just bounces off the umbrella, which of course is picked up by the mics - but hell if it's raining that hard the mic will pick up the raindrops anyway...

peace -- Ian
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:42:04 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 06:43:58 PM »
...I think it is a better option than an umbrella over the mics in the rain, as the rain just bounces off the umbrella, which of course is picked up by the mics - but hell if it's raining that hard the mic will pick up the raindrops anyway...

peace -- Ian

Ideally an umbrella with something thick and soft (clipped on with bulldog clips) works well since it absorbs the impact of the rain without making noise, like this...

Towels lose their sound absorbing properties when saturated and start splatting.

While I would be happy to have a mic wrapped in plastic wrap in the direct rain I would imagine the impact of drops on the cap would be quite loud? Light rain would be OK tho.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

stevetoney

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 05:07:26 AM »

Dude...this is definitely Mission Impossible material!

On a more serious note, I remember a year or so ago someone on this list proposed that people using umbrellas in the rain were stupid because mics could dry out and but umbrella, god forbid, would ruin the recording!  In the ensuing conversation it WAS pointed out the some mics can take the water, but the point is, I think that person had their priorities a little skewed.  Personally, I'm saving my gear before Im saving the recording...plus there are of course ways to dampen the sound of the thumping on the umbrella.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 06:55:53 PM »

Suggestions, thoughts?

Tell me what mics you are using, and where you live.  I may need some new mics.    ;o)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 04:00:10 PM »
I used to record thunderstorms. They are plentiful, here in Colorado, in the summer.
I've also recorded mountain streams and "night noises" like crickets when I lived back east.

The first think I ever recorded was a rain storm when I was a tween. My father had an eight-track recorder with a microphone. The kind of eight track that had those big tapes you'd play in your car. In the 1970's, the highways in NY were littered with that eight track tape. That eight track tape was prone to get jammed in the player fairly regularly. In those days, guys use to just chuck the tape box out the window after the player ate the tape.

Anyway, If it wasn't for me trying nature recording, I probably would not be recording live music. I guess you could say it was a stepping stone...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 01:25:52 PM »
I used to record thunderstorms. They are plentiful, here in Colorado, in the summer.

Did you just record from inside the house through an open window?

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 02:53:33 PM »
Yeah, or the covered porch.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.317 seconds with 57 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com