Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio Pulsars...  (Read 10903 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
M-Audio Pulsars...
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:02:42 AM »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:08:19 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Nick's Picks

Re: M-Audio Pulsars...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 01:55:29 PM »
I've been listening to this all day.
the mics sound true to form.  Not "splashy" , which is what I expected them to sound like.  Bass response is impressive. 
I might have to start my own team!

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:04:53 PM »
I haven't used these or actual seen a pair live, but they look very similar to MXL's 603 or 991 series, which is a good thing. All these mics are made in China using the classic Schoeps TL topology, albeit, with lower grade resistor, caps, diodes, etc. They are easily modified and all cheap components can be replaced with higher grade ones.

I basically rebuilt 2 991's and 990's. The 990 is a side address sdc, or a 991 in a differant body. I replaced 12 components in each mic, removed redundant screens and modified the cap, which in your case it looks as though M-audio did not go down the road MXL did with the body, therefore the diaphram is fairly close to the end of the cap. Not so, with the MXL, which I machined down.

Take them apart and see what type of components were used. Modifying your mic might make a good mic a truly great mic.

BTW, I bet the MXL omni caps would fit them and can be had on e-bay for $38 a pair. I would suggest that you machine the lip down as to improve the sound on them, though.

Ray
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:15:29 PM by raymonda »

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:24:02 AM »
sounds really nice Nick, thanks for sharing! 

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:55:04 AM »
I haven't used these or actual seen a pair live, but they look very similar to MXL's 603 or 991 series, which is a good thing. All these mics are made in China using the classic Schoeps TL topology, albeit, with lower grade resistor, caps, diodes, etc. They are easily modified and all cheap components can be replaced with higher grade ones.

I have a pair of the MXL 603s (which I didn't much care for), is it really worth the mod? I also have a pair of Joe Meek JM27s, which I read were the same mic but they sure don't appear to be the same to me. Do you think upgrading their electronic components would help them?
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:52:41 PM »
As I stated, the topology is based on classic Schoeps TL (which folks pay very good money for) and the cap are really pretty nice after the physical mod. According to the designer he based them off of the KM84's. If you are good with an iron you should go for it. If not, send them off to Oktavamod and Mike Jolly can do some of the mods I've discussed, albeit, it would come with a price of around $400 a pair. Do it yourself and the cost is around $20.00.

Again, many of these mics are limited by the components used or the implementation not the design.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 03:38:45 PM »
Physical mod? As opposed to the electrical mod or are we talking about the same thing? I have a certificate in electronics which means I know just enough to be dangerous but can swap components as long as they aren't surface mount. I think I'll go for it after a little planning and research. They aren't doing me much good otherwise.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 04:35:04 PM »
Electrical mod is the components the physical mod is to the cap body. Take it a part and you'll see that this is as easy as it gets to mod, however, you have to be good with an iron.

As I mentioned, visit Oktava Mod for what Mike does and you decide if you can do it or if you think it is worth the price. In my case it cost me $20.00, so it was well worth the price.

ray

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 05:26:29 PM »

I have a pair of the MXL 603s (which I didn't much care for), is it really worth the mod? I also have a pair of Joe Meek JM27s, which I read were the same mic but they sure don't appear to be the same to me. Do you think upgrading their electronic components would help them?
[/quote]

Do you want to sell your 603's?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 05:56:45 PM »
I've read a bunch on this "mod" on gearslutz.
supposed to be pretty sweet.  I'll see if I can find a link

Offline Nick's Picks

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 06:49:36 PM »
That's what I'm talking about. I basically upped Mike J. by replacing more components. Like I said it cost me around $20.00 for 2 990 and 2 991, which are basically the same as the 603. So, for 4 nice mics it cost me $100.00, including the mics, add another $40 for 2 omni caps for a total of $140.00. I'll be using these for a multi-track of Frank Vignola and Bucky Pizzarelli next week. The 990's in Omni for aud, and the 991's over the violin and on the mando. I'll also be using 2 Oktava 319, highly modified, on the guitars, and a stereo pair of Schoeps CCM 4's.

BTW, for lovers of jazz check out Felipe Salles, "Timeline" release. I was the recording engineer for this project. I think you'll really like the recording.

Offline salmonite

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 07:55:27 PM »
Nice recording Nick. i am pretty impressed w/the bass response on these.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 08:37:36 PM »
Raymonda do you have any documentation (or a link) on what components you replaced in your mics? I'm starting to get sucked in after reading the GearSlutz thread...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »
I could put one together and post it later.

Ray

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com