Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic upgrade need advise  (Read 7982 times)

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
Re: Mic upgrade need advise
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 11:44:04 AM »
I used AT853 hypers for a Depeche Mode-concert a few months ago: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=288552

I thought it came out great, if a bit bassy.
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »
I have nothing add, although I would like to comment on the statement you made earlier in this thread that you've had your equipment confiscated once.  I realize that things are different here in the US than in Europe, but I've recorded plenty of shows in Europe too.  While I'm no expert on laws and such, I would say that even if I were caught trying to stealth a show in Europe, only in the extremest situation would I ever allow anyone to touch my gear.  I suppose if it's a police officer that's taking my gear from me, I wouldn't have too much to say about it.  However, if it's someone at the front door of a venue, there's simply no way they're getting my gear.  If I have to leave quickly, then I'll leave. 

I know that situations can escalate and that there's times when giving up your gear might seem like the only option.  I'm just suggesting that, before it gets to that point, I would calmly (using non-confrontational verbal and body language) explain to the people you're dealing with that you'll cooperate, but NO they will not be touching my gear.  Do this as you're walking towards to exit, so hopefully you'll be near or in your car by the time any situation might escalate.

Question:  In Europe, since many venue's also say 'no pictures', do they have a right to confiscate your picture phone if someone decides to shoot a picture against the rules?  I know Europe, and I also know that everyone has a cell phone and that everyone uses them multiple times daily!!!!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:58:53 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 01:38:07 PM »
I have been gone for a few days..thanks for all the responses so far.

after recording of 40 shows I consider myself still a newbie ....I have done video and audio and I think I have a feeling for sweet spots in the venue by now...nevertheless I hope to improve the gear....But I dont know if It makes sense to spend the money if the upgrade it not significant ....I will listen to samples for the M1280 caps..but I think they are not real stealthy...

1. So does it make sense to buy hyper cardoid caps....for larger venues?

Not really.. Unless you can keep you're head perfectly still :)
2. Are the CA 14 larger then the audio technica caps from SP?

Yes they are larger. But you know what they say about size lol....

3. Are the CA 14 a lateral move to the SP-CMC-4U.

Not in the opinion of many of my customers.

It was mentioned before that the SP-CMC-4U will be an improvement to the SP-CMC-8 !!!

Yes I personally feel that they are because I find the 8 to have less low frequency response then the 4's this is due to diaphragm size more then anything.
SFT
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 03:58:37 PM »
Not to muddy the waters too much here, but did mterry make those pulls with the CAPS alone or with the 1280s with bodies?

I only have the 1280c caps and the Church cables.  They do a good job for what they are though the sound IMHO is way more "colored" than with some mics.  The bass response is definitely not what it is on the U853s; that can be a good or bad thing depending what you like/don't like about those mics. 

Anyway, I am just wondering whether Audix 1280 sound the same when they are run with bodies and 48v phantom power vs. the chopped-down Church setup.

I've also never heard a stealth tape with the omnis... I would be curious to do so, if anyone has links...

The audix are not real stealthy...Aren't they....1290hc means Hyper Caps?  Are there any Clips available for those caps...?

The Audix 1280/1290 caps are the same size as the Church Audio CA-11 caps, and if you get the aforementioned cables/bodies that Chris Church makes for them, they should be perfect for ste@lthing.  I think that might be the best way to go because you can use the Audix omni, cardioid, and hypercardioid caps with that setup, it's easily ste@lthable, and should sound great.  A TSer (mterry I think) has made some great Phish tapes with the 1290hc caps, I would try to check them out (etree).  For clips, you can use those small clips that Sound Pro sells or you could probably ask Chris to attach some alligator clips to the bodies.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 12:16:49 AM »
Just want to let you know that I am back from my trip and will respond to all the posts asap.

Swordfish

BTW:  I received the the SP 4 U mics which I traded for my SP ...8 .....and was kinda shocked about the size and cables(my fault since i didn't have asked the right question and expected it being the same seize as the SP...8)...dunno if thats stealthy at all...maybe stealthy for a theater...with only one neighbor left and right ...but not for small venues or clubs with waiters and lots of people moving around...where to mount it with the huge clips.....Just my 2 Cents

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 12:21:55 PM »
Just want to let you know that I am back from my trip and will respond to all the posts asap.

Swordfish

BTW:  I received the the SP 4 U mics which I traded for my SP ...8 .....and was kinda shocked about the size and cables(my fault since i didn't have asked the right question and expected it being the same seize as the SP...8)...dunno if thats stealthy at all...maybe stealthy for a theater...with only one neighbor left and right ...but not for small venues or clubs with waiters and lots of people moving around...where to mount it with the huge clips.....Just my 2 Cents
I have a mod for these mics that cuts down the size quite a bit and I can recable them with small cable if you are interested send me a pm.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 02:50:09 PM »
I have nothing add, although I would like to comment on the statement you made earlier in this thread that you've had your equipment confiscated once.  I realize that things are different here in the US than in Europe, but I've recorded plenty of shows in Europe too.  While I'm no expert on laws and such, I would say that even if I were caught trying to stealth a show in Europe, only in the extremest situation would I ever allow anyone to touch my gear.  I suppose if it's a police officer that's taking my gear from me, I wouldn't have too much to say about it.  However, if it's someone at the front door of a venue, there's simply no way they're getting my gear.  If I have to leave quickly, then I'll leave. 

I know that situations can escalate and that there's times when giving up your gear might seem like the only option.  I'm just suggesting that, before it gets to that point, I would calmly (using non-confrontational verbal and body language) explain to the people you're dealing with that you'll cooperate, but NO they will not be touching my gear.  Do this as you're walking towards to exit, so hopefully you'll be near or in your car by the time any situation might escalate.

Question:  In Europe, since many venue's also say 'no pictures', do they have a right to confiscate your picture phone if someone decides to shoot a picture against the rules?  I know Europe, and I also know that everyone has a cell phone and that everyone uses them multiple times daily!!!!

Now I have some time to get back to this subject.  The equipment was placed in a carry on backpack...Pro's at the entrance since a previous prime minister of the Republic was attending the concert and ended up sitting two rows in front of me.

Very professional security.....confisicated meant in my case...they told me to place my backback with gear in the a special storage compartment...and gave it back after the show...

I attended a Tom Waits show in Edinburgh in 2008 and the ushers were very straight if somebody wanted to use his Cell to make any pictures or movies...You will find  only snippets of these shows on you Tube.  Other then that there are always signs at the entrance of the venues not to use the cell/cameres but people still use their cells and cameras.  Which his hard to control in larger venues IMO.  Don't know if they have a legal right to take away the cell or camera.

Swordfish

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 02:59:39 PM »
Not to muddy the waters too much here, but did mterry make those pulls with the CAPS alone or with the 1280s with bodies?

I only have the 1280c caps and the Church cables.  They do a good job for what they are though the sound IMHO is way more "colored" than with some mics.  The bass response is definitely not what it is on the U853s; that can be a good or bad thing depending what you like/don't like about those mics. 

Anyway, I am just wondering whether Audix 1280 sound the same when they are run with bodies and 48v phantom power vs. the chopped-down Church setup.

I've also never heard a stealth tape with the omnis... I would be curious to do so, if anyone has links...

The audix are not real stealthy...Aren't they....1290hc means Hyper Caps?  Are there any Clips available for those caps...?

The Audix 1280/1290 caps are the same size as the Church Audio CA-11 caps, and if you get the aforementioned cables/bodies that Chris Church makes for them, they should be perfect for ste@lthing.  I think that might be the best way to go because you can use the Audix omni, cardioid, and hypercardioid caps with that setup, it's easily ste@lthable, and should sound great.  A TSer (mterry I think) has made some great Phish tapes with the 1290hc caps, I would try to check them out (etree).  For clips, you can use those small clips that Sound Pro sells or you could probably ask Chris to attach some alligator clips to the bodies.

Are you able to explain your statement  'colored sound of the Audix' caps'....in comparism to the DPA 4061 or the SP 4 U?

Still haven't found a source to buy the 1290 HC or C caps.

Thanks for sharing your ideas,

Swordfish

Offline MJ

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »

Are you able to explain your statement  'colored sound of the Audix' caps'....in comparism to the DPA 4061 or the SP 4 U?

Swordfish

Hi Swordfish
Mid high and high is more prominent and incredibly clear and detailed while the low end is neither lacking nor muddy but kind of needs to be warmer.  Keep those in mind and listen to those samples below, you will know the difference between audix micro and DPA or AT853
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MUYBIP40
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C7J33Z19

I have run M1280 along with FR-2LE for ste##th recording and really love the sound of it but was kind of disappointed with Audix micro caps and CA-11 cable combo.  I wish I could use Church Audio special cable for Audio micro caps to make the real comparison but…. I have yet to receive his cables from Chris after I made the payment for them in January….
Koichi
<Main Rigs>
Schoeps MK4s>(Nbox Active cables)>Nbox+ or Nbox Platinum>Izzy (Split) Cables>Sony PCM-M10 or Sony PCM-D100

<Sub Rigs>
(1)DPA4061s>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)>Church Audio Pre>(3.5 stereo mini+Canare cable + 3.5 stereo mini)>Sony PCM-M10
(2)DSM-6S/L>(terminated with 3.5 stereo mini)> Sony PCM-M10

<IEM>
(1)scanner
 DJ-X2000
 IC-RX7
(2)receiver
Shure P10R
Sennheiser ek2000
(3)recorders
Marntz PMD706

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 04:39:12 PM »

Swordfish
It's been mentioned in several threads that you can get the Audix caps from Full Compass. I also found another source in Northern Sound and Light:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=124072.msg1744011#msg1744011

EDIT to add: though in re-reading thread I am reminded that you are in Europe, so this information may not help you.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:44:04 PM by jefflester »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 08:24:19 PM »
Here is a mic made by my company since 1986, and not yet mentioned here working directly into MOD-4 www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.htm#mod4 upgraded R-09HR deck, and is smallest system available.  Suggest DSM-6S/L mic model for general pop/rock interests.

Recording samples using this mic model + deck configuration (~identical 09HR & other models of deck) in retail section thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=83254.0;all

Also many recordings using same mic in different system configurations on site page: www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm#performance

Tech review of R-09HR at: www.sonicstudios.com/r09hrrev.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.171 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com