Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microphone newbie setup  (Read 2144 times)

Offline yano729

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Microphone newbie setup
« on: November 11, 2011, 10:53:24 AM »
Hey whats up everyone, just joined the site on a recommendation from a friend. Hope the weather is a nice around you guys as it is around me. Anyways, I am looking to invest into a somewhat decent microphone to record my guitar and vocals. I would need a mic, and stand, a filter (?) and some sort of connectivity to my computer. I would use it for just using my acoustic with no amp and signing and also for recording my electric, so that why I guess I would need the filter so I can press it up against the amp. Anyways was just curious if you guys had any thoughts before I start venturing out to places and asking random questions. I guess my price range would be around 100-250. I have a macbook if that matters. Thanks guys!

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Microphone newbie setup
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:40:47 AM »
welcome
by filter do you mean a windscreen?? It goes over the mic and typically looks like a sponge
if this is for recording at home, i don't think you need that

would you be singing and playing at the same time? you might want 2 mics, one for the vocals and one for the guitar

stands you could get a cheap mic stand (or 2) from anywhere like guitar center for example http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musician-s-Gear-MS-220-Tripod-Mic-Stand-with-Fixed-Boom-107218844-i1326041.gc
you would hook the mic clip/shock the the stand and adjust it to your chair/guitar

depending on your software and what your end goal is on the mac you may be better off recording into a small handheld and transferring after the fact
on the other hand (i have not used them for something like this) garage band and audacity will record "in" and you should have/are free
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 07:52:59 AM »
..... Get a Shure SM57 mic to record the guitar(s.) I think they run about $80 new, but I'm sure you can find a (gently) used one for about 1/2 that. If you're really tight on $, you can probably get away with using the SM57 to record vocals as well - assuming you're not trying to record both the guitar and vox at the same time.

If you've got some money left over after buying your guitar mic, you might consider the Shure SM58 for a vocal mic. While not as common as the SM57, with a little hunting on the web you'll be able to find a used SM58 for around $70.

As far as a filter, I'm not sure what you are referring to, but you don't need anything between the mic and your guitar amp, except for a few inches of space. :-)   For vocals, you might want to consider using a "pop" screen. In a pinch you can create a homeade popscreen by putting a thin windscreen or a piece of thin fabric over the mic. Just make sure it's think enough so you don't muffle all the high end in the vocals.

Have fun!

Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »
Welcome to TapersSection, yano.  You're sure to get good suggestions here but you should also check out GearSlutz (http://www.gearslutz.com/).  Whereas TS is focused more on recording in the field and concerts, GS deals with home and studio recording.  Not quite as newbie-friendly as TS, in my opinion, but there's some excellent information to be had there.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »
..... Get a Shure SM57 mic to record the guitar(s.) I think they run about $80 new, but I'm sure you can find a (gently) used one for about 1/2 that. If you're really tight on $, you can probably get away with using the SM57 to record vocals as well - assuming you're not trying to record both the guitar and vox at the same time.

If you've got some money left over after buying your guitar mic, you might consider the Shure SM58 for a vocal mic. While not as common as the SM57, with a little hunting on the web you'll be able to find a used SM58 for around $70.

As far as a filter, I'm not sure what you are referring to, but you don't need anything between the mic and your guitar amp, except for a few inches of space. :-)   For vocals, you might want to consider using a "pop" screen. In a pinch you can create a homeade popscreen by putting a thin windscreen or a piece of thin fabric over the mic. Just make sure it's think enough so you don't muffle all the high end in the vocals.

Have fun!

Watch out for cheap Shure mics online. The SM57 and SM58 are some of the most faked microphones on the market. Buying new from a reputable dealer isn't that much more expensive.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com