Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Field Audio Analyzer  (Read 9635 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Field Audio Analyzer
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »
I use the iPhone 4S with the micW i436 measurement mic.

The App on the iPhone is "Analyser" that can incorporate a frequency compensation for the iPhone's response - these are an in-app purchase and are available for several different mics.

Looking at the mic specs it is not completely linear.  It has a bump in the top end..  Does that bump give a misrepresentation of what you are hearing in terms of the graph.  I guess it is all relative.  It is probably the best option right now for the money.  From 2khz down to 20hz it is flat.

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline myke2241

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Herron Sound
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 01:04:46 AM »

The App on the iPhone is "Analyser" that can incorporate a frequency compensation for the iPhone's response - these are an in-app purchase and are available for several different mics.

Looking at the mic specs it is not completely linear.  It has a bump in the top end..  Does that bump give a misrepresentation of what you are hearing in terms of the graph.  I guess it is all relative.  It is probably the best option right now for the money.  From 2khz down to 20hz it is flat.

Peace OOK

If you know the mic's curve you accommodate for the difference. That is the difference between a user and a engineer. make the best with the tools you have. they are not garbage by any means.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:24:27 PM by myke2241 »
Sound Devices 788, Sony PCM-M10
MKH 416, MKH 70, MKH 80, MKH 8040, MKH 8090, Schoeps CCM 41, CCM 8, Sonic Studios DSM-6SL, Fostex M22RP MS, Soundfield ST450

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 03:38:12 AM »
I have a pile of free audio analyzers on my Android LG Lucid and they are interesting but so far haven't been particularly useful. Mostly just eye candy. I haven't found an external mic for it that looks like it is made for measurement.

The micW i436 is a class 2 measurement mic.  The app I suggested is not a free one and the in-app purchase is also not free.  The app and in-app purchase were about £12 together if I remember correctly.  Not a toy.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 03:42:20 AM »

Peace OOK

The in-app purchase in the Analyzer software takes all this into account so the software knows exactly what mic. is being used and takes everything into account - as I said in the post above, it's a class-2 measurement mic.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »
Here's a link to the micW i436 FAQ that might answer some questions.
http://mic-w-usa.appspot.com/i436FAQ

In the field, usually there is little we can do about the sound delivered to us as tapers other than find the sweet spot and adjust our mic configurations so its still mainly eye candy in that situation. Nice to know what the sound is doing though, at least roughly.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 02:30:20 PM »
I am still more interested with something that could accommodate line in.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.152 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com