Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Japanese microphone manufacturers?  (Read 11640 times)

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
Japanese microphone manufacturers?
« on: September 15, 2014, 03:08:14 PM »
I'm trying to compile a list of Japanese microphone manufacturers. Specifically I'm trying to figure out if any Japanese companies other than Audio-Technica produce(d) a hypercard. Does anyone have any to add that I might be missing? Weird request, I know...

Akai
Aiwa
Audio-Technica
Primo/Nakamichi
Sanken
Sony
Tascam/TEAC
TOA
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:50:38 PM by ashevillain »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: Japanese microphone manufacturers?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:02:04 PM »
Naks were rebadged Primo Microphones.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:44:01 PM »
Sanken has a short shotgun.  I've used only their omnis (COS 11 and CO 100K), which are fine mics though not my favorites.

Jeff

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:03:18 PM »
Sanken has a short shotgun.  I've used only their omnis (COS 11 and CO 100K), which are fine mics though not my favorites.

Jeff

Interesting, I had no idea that they're Japanese. 
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »

Did they ever make a hypercard?

Jeff

Thanks for the suggestion. Those look interesting...but way too expensive.

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 07:20:20 AM »
My hyper uses a variant of a Primo bidirectional capsule that has about -3dB 180 deg free-field response, but mounted in my case generates a more typical hyper response; -6dB at 1kHz.  Overall average 90 deg is about -9dB.

Are your mics made in Japan?

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
Primo capsules are, yes.

I already understood that the capsules are made in Japan.

I'm guessing the entire microphone is not made in Japan since you did not state such.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »

Did they ever make a hypercard?

Not that I am aware of and none are listed in the 1980 catalog I found online as a pdf so I'm going to guess the answer is "no".

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »
OK, this thread is taking a turn towards the bizarre

I'll admit compared to most activity on this site, this thread started out as bizarre. ;)

For the purposes of this thread I was only interested in mics that are manufactured in Japan by a Japanese company. I'm not trying to make a statement about where mics should be produced or say country X produces better mics than country Y. I'm definitely not asking you to change your personal business practices. I'm strictly seeking information on what has been produced both historically and currently. No more, no less. Apologies if that was not clear.

Edit: I'll add that it seems like the vast majority of microphones talked about and used on this site are European. Info on Japanese mics (with the exception of Audio Technica and Nakamichi) is not as readily available here. I'm just trying to find more info.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:29:49 PM by ashevillain »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 09:13:01 PM »
Sanken and Sony have produced world-class condenser microphones, and in fact still do (although Sony has been backing out of the pro audio business for a long time now, and only has two studio microphone models left--but there are vintage Sony condensers that sound wonderful; they've been at this for decades and it's a shame what has happened to them). Some rather high-quality ribbon microphones have also been made in Japan over the years. Some names you might know (Fostex, for example); others, you might not.

But when it comes to hypercardioid microphones (or microphones that are called "hypercardioid" even though they don't have that specific pickup pattern), you are mainly talking about microphones designed for speech pickup with maximum intelligibility, for newsgathering, communications, film and video sound, voiceover work, etc.--in other words, microphones with rolled-off low-frequency response and elevated and/or peaky treble response. Probably 9 out of 10 "hypercardioid" condenser microphones fit that description, and for "hypercardioid" condenser microphones made in Asia, I'd have to say that it's closer to 10 out of 10.

There is no geographical or (God forbid) racial reason for this; it's just market economics. High-volume producers must aim for the largest possible markets. There is no other way they can stay in business. As a result, the highly directional (super- or hypercardioid or even shotgun) microphones that are generally found suitable for high-quality music recording come from the few companies that pursue this market specifically. That brings you back to the names you know already--and most of them aren't in Japan or anywhere else in Asia.

Sanken has some technically advanced shotgun microphones, including stereo models. Audio-Technica, you seem to know about already. Both companies would have the full technical ability to create good-sounding, highly directional microphones for music recording--but the question is, where do they perceive the market to be? Because that's who they're building microphones for--and that in turn determines the characteristics of the microphones they build. Judging by their products, I'd say they're aiming mainly at newsgathering, sound for film and video, and similar applications.

So even these highly respected companies may not offer anything that you or I would really want--not because they can't, but because there aren't enough of us compared to the other kinds of customers they serve.

--best regards

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:21:08 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 05:52:52 AM »
Primo makes a short shotgun still....

But you will have to purchase in Japan I guess...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 10:34:47 PM »
I was looking around various Primo Mic sites and ran across the following which may be of interest to a few of you - http://www.primo.com.sg/indonesia-mirophones (yes, microphones is misspelled but that is the correct url) - also check the Japan Microphones link at the bottom of the page. I did notice a great difference in the appearance depending on which browser I was using so if it fails to show anything or doesn't totally load try a different browser.

Sorry, no hypers listed.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:38:21 PM by flipp »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.192 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com