Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stereo microphones....  (Read 11723 times)

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:stereo microphones....
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2004, 09:04:15 PM »
you and me both :-)

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2004, 01:14:49 AM »
   I have an old school Realistic stereo mic. It has a Wide/Norm/Off switch on it, with 2, 1/4" mono plugs coming off it. It actually does'nt sound half bad either.
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

Offline tadjblack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2004, 10:38:32 PM »
Team Bama Alumni

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2004, 12:53:41 AM »
just my $.02:

Royer SF-12 - Too fragile, you'll not only need to remember your batteries for your gear but also Xanax just to make it through a show with drunks running in to your fragile $2k+ mic.

SP LSD-2 - Very close to the ADK in sound, probably uses the same chinese made capsule as the ADK 51s and the MXL mics so if you like the ADK sound and want a stereo mic this would be a good choice.

USM69 or SM69 - Great mic, great freq. response geared toward far field recording, downside is like most LD condensers rear rejection is not as smooth or complete as SD mics.

AKG C426 - Same as above except mostly flat freq response, AKG vs. Neumann sound

Soundfield - Good if close, not so good if stuck in the TS.

Rode stereo mic - terrible for taping, has HF roll off comeing on above 3 khz, sounds really dull unless you are micing the horns on a stack, prolly great as a drum overhead but thats not what we do.

Sony mics - hit or miss, I've heard some great recordings from these but also some really shitty ones, I'd reccommend a ECM-999PR if you can find one it's the best sony one point for taping.

AKG C33/C34 - of course I'm biased  ;D but I think this is gonna be a great mic, SD condenser stereo mic, mine is away in cali being modded with a custom frequency response desigined with only PA taping in mind.  the diaphgrams are being lightened to bring true clarity to the diffuse signal reaching the mics they are literally going to be thinner than the royers ribbons (stock AKG 3 microns, Royer 1.8 microns, new diaphgrams 1 micron; so the transient response will be great).

The Shure is a ENG mic and the frequency response is not what you want for taping.

like I said it's jut my $.02 YMMV

peace, chris
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 12:59:53 AM by VA_TAPER »
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

jpschust

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2004, 12:58:52 AM »
so here we are a few days later and the sp rep for dc hasnt gotten back to me, so time to call the main office again on monday

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2004, 01:34:34 AM »
get on their ass jonny....i wanna here what this badboy sounds like :)  

chris the akg stereo mics are the ones i've been wanting to check out, but can't find them on ebay very often.  if u run across another one let me know!
save

jpschust

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2004, 10:17:23 AM »
ill be on it, if i can get one for wilco i think i might run both a stereo mic as well as the dpas if i can get a second pre/ad to use- ill just run dat with the stereo mic and lappy with the dpas

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2004, 01:48:57 PM »
just my $.02:

Royer SF-12 - Too fragile, you'll not only need to remember your batteries for your gear but also Xanax just to make it through a show with drunks running in to your fragile $2k+ mic.

SP LSD-2 - Very close to the ADK in sound, probably uses the same chinese made capsule as the ADK 51s and the MXL mics so if you like the ADK sound and want a stereo mic this would be a good choice.

USM69 or SM69 - Great mic, great freq. response geared toward far field recording, downside is like most LD condensers rear rejection is not as smooth or complete as SD mics.

AKG C426 - Same as above except mostly flat freq response, AKG vs. Neumann sound

Soundfield - Good if close, not so good if stuck in the TS.

Rode stereo mic - terrible for taping, has HF roll off comeing on above 3 khz, sounds really dull unless you are micing the horns on a stack, prolly great as a drum overhead but thats not what we do.

Sony mics - hit or miss, I've heard some great recordings from these but also some really shitty ones, I'd reccommend a ECM-999PR if you can find one it's the best sony one point for taping.

AKG C33/C34 - of course I'm biased  ;D but I think this is gonna be a great mic, SD condenser stereo mic, mine is away in cali being modded with a custom frequency response desigined with only PA taping in mind.  the diaphgrams are being lightened to bring true clarity to the diffuse signal reaching the mics they are literally going to be thinner than the royers ribbons (stock AKG 3 microns, Royer 1.8 microns, new diaphgrams 1 micron; so the transient response will be great).

The Shure is a ENG mic and the frequency response is not what you want for taping.

like I said it's jut my $.02 YMMV

peace, chris

good stuff here, thanks Chris!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2004, 02:55:54 PM »

Agree.  It sounds dull unless it is a very, very nearfield recording.

I have used it as a drum overhead many times- it is good for that!
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Jimi1976

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2004, 03:00:33 PM »
FWIW....the Rode NT4 is a decent mic.  It can get a little boomy.....but it can be avoided.  

jpschust

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2004, 03:02:45 PM »
yah but the thinness cannot be avoided :-)

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: stereo microphones....
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2004, 08:32:03 PM »
Any luck on the LSD2 yet Jpschust?  Just curious, I'm dying to hear how this thing sounds...

thanks man.

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2004, 08:35:30 PM »
been wondering too....any luck getting a demo to try out?
save

jpschust

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2004, 10:18:34 PM »
i called again last week, still no return call.  i need to call studio projects themselves.  i'm extremely busy right now so its fallen way down on my list to be honest

Offline tadjblack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2004, 11:18:59 PM »
Team Bama Alumni

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com