Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Holy Crap! (Kimock content)  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Holy Crap! (Kimock content)
« on: May 14, 2004, 01:30:34 PM »
Holy crap, Kimock was good last night!  Just kidding, Kimock is just Bay Area Heroin Rock.  Heh, heh.  ;)

No really, holy crap! -- split omnis.

After having Tim talk up the idea, I ran split omnis for Steve Kimock last night at the Fox in Boulder.  We ran up at the front drink rail, FOB, about 18-20 feet back from the stage.  First time using my new AKG ck62 caps.  Exact source was:  AKG 482 (split about 40")> Lunatec V3.

For those who don't know, the Fox has incredible sound, probably the best I've heard in a club anywhere I've been, save maybe the 9:30 Club in DC (very similar types of clubs, philosophies, etc, actually).

With a fairly sparse and respectful Kimock crowd and the ok to have 2 stands on the front rail, I thought I'd go for it.

Downside is that during the quiet parts, it is a bit chatty--not overly so, no worse than running in the typical section behind the board there, just not as good as it usually is in that regards up on the drink rail.

But the overall sound--wow!  Just a huge, full presentation--very natural.  Really very enjoyable soundstaging too (though doesn't compare to stage taping, but what are you going to do.)

I don't know how often we can pull off split omnis at the Fox on the drink rail (they typical don't go for a full on section there, though you can usually get away with a single low-pro stand), but when the opportunity arises and conditions are right, I'll definitely be doing some more of this pattern.  Would love to get a chance to try it for Mule someday.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:Holy Crap! (Kimock content)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 01:32:31 PM »
we'll start teaming up on this Todd.... it's my preffered way to run in there for sure.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Charlies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 01:52:07 PM »
Nice work Todd...was wondering when we'd hear a report on the 62s (any chance for a grovel for that recording?).  -Charlies
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 02:05:08 PM »
omnis are just so natural sounding...can't wait to run them this summer. heck i might even do it tonight for umphrey's in st. louis.....FOB....front drink rail. hopefully it will come out nice!

i'd really like to hear some of these split omni indoor tapes you guys are maing out there.  

Offline Todd R

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 02:05:17 PM »
Nice work Todd...was wondering when we'd hear a report on the 62s (any chance for a grovel for that recording?).  -Charlies

No problem, Charlie, I'll spin you a copy when I get it transferred.

Thanks much for the ck62 disks you got me, too.  Finally got around to listening to the moe. 9:30 club show.  Very nice--same comments above apply.  Though, damn, I don't think we really needed to make those beer bottles getting tossed into the trash can sound anymore realistic.   :o  Definitely one of the downsides to taping in that club.

Haven't gotten to the other one yet.  Don't even recall what it was--Garaj Mahal maybe?
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 02:30:30 PM »
todd...with the omni ck62 caps, is it necessary to have them pointed toward the sound source, like the cards or hypers? i was thinking it wouldnt matter much...but what do i know.

i'm contemplating getting a set of ck62's, but probably not for a while. there is a venue i attend frequently here in philly that i would like to use omni's.

i am actually going there tonight to see ddbb. i borrowed a pair of dpa 4061's for the occasion. it is at the northstar, and i will be hanging them about 8ft apart from the balcony, which is only about 5feet or so from the lip of the stage.

oh yeah....skb smokes

« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 02:38:43 PM by Chris K »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Todd R

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 03:03:45 PM »
It depends on the omni cap, but most get directional at high frequencies.  For the ck62, they are noticably directional at 16k Hz and somewhat directional (sort of like a subcard response in the front hemisphere) at 8k hz, which are all high frequencies.  At 4k hz and below, they are perfect omnis.  

So, theoretically, it shouldn't matter where you point omnis, but since they exhibit less than true omni response at high frequencies, I try to point them at the stacks.  It's the spacing, however, that gives you the stereo imaging.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 03:06:39 PM »
todd-
did you run HPF?  Sometime the fox subs can get quite powerfull.  The way omni's pick up the bass can sometimes be overwhelming.  Dont know if it is the case for SKB.
Omni's inside definitely work.  Bloodkin was a good time since it was empty.
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Todd R

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 03:38:44 PM »
Nope, didn't run the HPF and it came out great.  I was thinking in the first set I'd like to run the HPF for the second set for comparison sake.  Middle of the second set and I realized I forgot to try.

Tapes came out great, very nice balance to them.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 04:00:36 PM »
right on right on!
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2004, 04:07:36 PM »

Don't even recall what it was--Garaj Mahal maybe?

Garaj it is.  I love the first song on CD1, whatever it is called.  At least give that track a listen.  Have a good weekend all! I'm out.
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline Todd R

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 07:43:09 PM »
If people with high-speed want to check this out, I've got a torrent going over at www.COtapers.org

Offline ToddL

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I feel more like I did a while ago than I do now.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2004, 09:22:42 PM »
Todd - It would be nice to set up two stands in there and run an AKG, ADK and U89 Omni comparison for the next semi quiet, not too crowded, good sounding show in there.  I ran cards up there 2 nights ago for Garaj and it sounded unreal, minus the bass being overdriven a little (from the PA/Stage I think)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com