Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Umbrellas covering mics?  (Read 8047 times)

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Umbrellas covering mics?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 10:57:51 AM »
wal-mart has umbrellas that are made for those folding chairs that work great for covering mics.

they can be found in the sporting goods section for about 5 dollars

put seam sealer on the seams if you are using it for rainy conditions... those fuckers leak.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 01:54:08 PM »
I've never come close to needing an umbrela for anything other than blazing sun. I can't imagine how freaked out I'd be if it rained. I'd be begging for copies, because my gear woud be in the hotel, safe and dry
(HOTEL, not tent,... You know, those things with showers, toilets, battery chargers, maid service, mini bars, restaraunts, bars,..... )
Y'alll that tape in the rain are either crazy or superheroes, and I prefer to think of you as superheroes.

agreed...taping in the rain is not something I have any interest in doing

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 02:02:42 PM »
That's wierd.  I've never stayed in a tent that didn't have a mini-bar. ;-)

Has anyone found a 12" - 14" umbrella.  Still no luck here.  I want something that just covers the actives in the ORTF mount.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 02:04:50 PM »
That's wierd. I've never stayed in a tent that didn't have a mini-bar. ;-)

Has anyone found a 12" - 14" umbrella. Still no luck here. I want something that just covers the actives in the ORTF mount.

the umbrella I bought from babies r us...it is a stroller umbrella is around 12''...maybe a little bigger, but not much

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 02:10:25 PM »
Thanks, I'll try there again.  The last few times I have tried I've met with increasingly wierd looks and still no umbrella.   Maybe it's a seasonal thing.

yeah, haha.   I googled for small | child | tiny | etc ubbrella and came up with all kinds of wierd crap.

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 02:11:12 PM »
I've never come close to needing an umbrela for anything other than blazing sun. I can't imagine how freaked out I'd be if it rained. I'd be begging for copies, because my gear woud be in the hotel, safe and dry
(HOTEL, not tent,... You know, those things with showers, toilets, battery chargers, maid service, mini bars, restaraunts, bars,..... )
Y'alll that tape in the rain are either crazy or superheroes, and I prefer to think of you as superheroes.
Moke you should of been with us last saturday when it dumped on us.
My gear bag was physically in a stream of water 2" deep and just flowing around the bag.
The umbrella did it's job keeping the mics dry and the bag did it's job keeping everything dry inside.
The bottom was a bit damp but nothing major really. All gear stayed dry. Kudos to the nova magnum all weather series bag.
My friend rolled by and found a 4x4 for me to set my bag on top of.
At least than my bag was no longer acting like a diverter for the river flowing.
I am glad he found it because it kept that up for a bit... Tapinfool can testify to it all, he almost
threw the towel in for the night.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2005, 02:11:35 PM »
Thanks, I'll try there again. The last few times I have tried I've met with increasingly wierd looks and still no umbrella. Maybe it's a seasonal thing.

yeah, haha. I googled for small | child | tiny | etc ubbrella and came up with all kinds of wierd crap.

it was in the section with all the strollers, and on an accessory rack...just ask for a stroller umbrella and they should point you to the right place

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2005, 02:13:14 PM »
got one of these at the cabela's superstore in hamburg...they have them online as well. on sale for $8

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0034130517100a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=umbrella&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.22&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=umbrella&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

sorry...here is a tiny url for the above:

http://tinyurl.com/dg23o

identical design to the stroller umbrella, clamp and arm look identical...stroller definitely has a smaller footprint when opened though

Offline Chris K

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2005, 02:18:04 PM »
yeah, i checked the stroller umbrealla at babiesRus and it is similar, the babiesRus oine has a quick disconnect, the cablella's version ddoesnt have this. itherwise it looks the same. not sure about size when opened

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2005, 02:25:54 PM »
yeah, i checked the stroller umbrealla at babiesRus and it is similar, the babiesRus oine has a quick disconnect, the cablella's version ddoesnt have this. itherwise it looks the same. not sure about size when opened

yeah, the quick disconnect is nice, you can throw it up quickly if needed

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2005, 02:35:20 PM »

yeah, the quick disconnect is nice, you can throw it up quickly if needed

How does that quick disconnect hold up in the wind?

Whatever I get, I'm ripping off the handle and using the LPClaw to mount the umbrella to my stand.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2005, 02:40:09 PM »
I have only used it once to date and teh quick discounnect isnt coming undone....now the umbrella acting as a sail is a different conversation

Offline Chris K

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2005, 02:42:49 PM »
hey man...where'd you get that claw?   ;)

-Elvis Presley

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2005, 02:43:06 PM »
now the umbrella acting as a sail is a different conversation

Thats why I want the small one, and also to not block as many people behind me.

When I'm on the lawn (not often anymore) I use tent stakes and bungie cords so that the umbrella doesn't pull the stand over.  Once I had the umbrella rip apart but the stand was solid.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com