Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4090/4091 still the best stealth mics out there?  (Read 7973 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: DPA 4090/4091 still the best stealth mics out there?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 10:52:49 AM »
I don't think the 'hum' is from the 406x's.   Teddy is correct that the noise specs of the 4061 are inferior to the 4011 (and I assume other high quality SD mics)... They're still very quiet.

It is a problem because of the size of the capsule. Typically, the smaller the capsule, the greater the self noise. SDC are more detailed and true to the source typically, but the tradeoff is higher noise spec..

"hum" definitely doesnt sound like the 406XX, what im talking about is a higher noise floor. with the 4061s, It was easily heard. (and measured)

Offline twoheadedboy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 02:55:00 AM »
Yeah, I can't believe Leonard "let you out the door" without a battery box. Gotta have one for any sort of amplified music, true of any mics of this sort. My suggestion would be PA-6LC3 (not the B version unless you really need a super-high level of bass roll-off). I run Sonics myself and the difference in cost between them and the mics 2x the cost are not worth it to me, YMMV.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 11:13:30 AM »
Keep in mind the signifigant difference in sensitivity between the DPA 4060's (20mV/Pa) & the 4061's (6mV/Pa) and the smaller but still signifigant difference in self noise & S/N.  FWIW, I haven't found the 4060's to be overly noisy even when recording quiet ambient stuff like humming birds and creeks in the mountains & Indian classical flute w/ tablas this last weekend...   Recorded nicely 8 rows back - quiet show, respectful audience, no low level noise issues.  I will say I do notice the frequency hump though it's not objectionable, haven't tried them without the short boost grids other than at home around the yard.  Sounded flatter in the 10 khz region as expected, but also less extended above that so I left the short grids on for the Indian music.

From the DPA site:

Equivalent noise level A-weighted: Typ. 23 dB(A) re. 20 µPa (max. 26 dB(A))
Dynamic Range: Typ. 100 dB
S/N ratio, re. 1 kHz at 1 Pa (94 dB SPL): 71 dB(A)
Sensitivity, nominal, ±3 dB: 20 mV/Pa; -34 dB re. 1 V/Pa

Equivalent noise level A-weighted: Typ. 26 dB(A) re. 20 µPa (max. 28 dB(A))
Dynamic Range: Typ. 97 dB
S/N ratio, re. 1 kHz at 1 Pa (94 dB SPL): 68 dB(A)
Sensitivity, nominal, ±3 dB: 6 mV/Pa; -44.5 dB re. 1 V/Pa
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RebelRebel

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 11:30:46 AM »
if you want absolute flatness....take the covering off the diaphragm completely.
Keep in mind the signifigant difference in sensitivity between the DPA 4060's (20mV/Pa) & the 4061's (6mV/Pa) and the smaller but still signifigant difference in self noise & S/N.  FWIW, I haven't found the 4060's to be overly noisy even when recording quiet ambient stuff like humming birds and creeks in the mountains & Indian classical flute w/ tablas this last weekend...   Recorded nicely 8 rows back - quiet show, respectful audience, no low level noise issues.  I will say I do notice the frequency hump though it's not objectionable, haven't tried them without the short boost grids other than at home around the yard.  Sounded flatter in the 10 khz region as expected, but also less extended above that so I left the short grids on for the Indian music.

From the DPA site:

Equivalent noise level A-weighted: Typ. 23 dB(A) re. 20 µPa (max. 26 dB(A))
Dynamic Range: Typ. 100 dB
S/N ratio, re. 1 kHz at 1 Pa (94 dB SPL): 71 dB(A)
Sensitivity, nominal, ±3 dB: 20 mV/Pa; -34 dB re. 1 V/Pa

Equivalent noise level A-weighted: Typ. 26 dB(A) re. 20 µPa (max. 28 dB(A))
Dynamic Range: Typ. 97 dB
S/N ratio, re. 1 kHz at 1 Pa (94 dB SPL): 68 dB(A)
Sensitivity, nominal, ±3 dB: 6 mV/Pa; -44.5 dB re. 1 V/Pa

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 12:37:04 PM »
if you want absolute flatness....take the covering off the diaphragm completely.

If you mean completely remove the grids (short & long), that's what I did around the yard and infront of the stereo.  Seems to mostly expose the capsule but some if it is still beneath the lip of the housing.  You'd have to modify the mic to expose it any more than that.  I was considering using the mics 'gridless' in the DPA boundry mounts, as those mounts also contribute to a bump in the HF response around the same freq.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com