Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mount for Church Audio Cardoids  (Read 7993 times)

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mount for Church Audio Cardoids
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 09:16:10 AM »
i agree that a centimeter here or there is not much. russ was talking about a 24" bar though. 18cm and 24" would be a different soundstage to listen too.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 01:18:07 PM »
Agreed.  You just never know who technical some people want to get.  I try to see things from all sides.

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 10:18:13 AM »
So is there an ideal distance, as far as the CA cards go, or is it the same for all mics? I'll be using the CA cards if that helps. Thanks, rWc3523
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 10:41:56 AM »
There are numerous configurations.  Spacing and positioning depends on the type of mic used and the recording technique.  Brand of the mics doesn't matter.  You can experiement with any style you want.  The main thing is to get the mics pointed at the source and make sure they stay there.  I'm of the belief that 9 out of 10 people won't hear the difference between mics spaced 2' apart or 2" apart.  As long as you are close enough to your source to pick up clear sounds and have good quality mics I honestly don't believe spacing matters that much.  Audiophiles sometimes get caught up in the minute details.  The whole point of recording is to capture a moment and enjoy it.

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 11:30:20 AM »
Cool. As soon as I get the mics I'll be able to do that. In the meantime, I'll be playing with the R-09 and its internal mics. :D For a loud rock band (one you really can't talk over), how close is "close". I would think too close would create some distortion, but I haven't tried it so I really don't know. Is it all tied to the recording levels? rWc3523
Edirol UA-5

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 11:30:50 AM »
Spacing will matter more to you if you listen to the recording through headphones.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 11:48:05 AM »
Cool. As soon as I get the mics I'll be able to do that. In the meantime, I'll be playing with the R-09 and its internal mics. :D For a loud rock band (one you really can't talk over), how close is "close". I would think too close would create some distortion, but I haven't tried it so I really don't know. Is it all tied to the recording levels? rWc3523
I'm sure there's some "ideal" distance but I don't know it.  On most occasions the soundboard will be set pretty much dead center and at a distance that everything can be heard clearly and the mix can be judged correctly.  So most times if you can get directly in front of the board this is best.  You'll often see the acronym FOB used when discussing a recording.  It stands for Front Of Board.  If you can get in front of the soundboard and get the mics elevated over peoples' heads you'll pull a good recording most times.

If you are off center then I've seen it recommended a few times to try and get directly in line with the speakers on that side and point directly at that stack. 

In either of those cases you should pull a good recording as long as the venue acoustics are decent.

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 12:23:49 PM »
Yeah, well, I will probably have some interesting results here locally since I don't know if there's a venue here with decent acoustics! ::) ;D In many cases, I will NOT be able to get dead center just because of the layout of the venues. We have some rather creative set ups here. One has an elevated stage so that one will be tricky and I wouldn't set up mics in the center because of the dancers! Most likely I will be off center. Like I said, there will definitely be a period of experimentation! Thanks for the advice, rWc3523 8)
Edirol UA-5

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 01:08:19 PM »
As long as you can keep the mics aimed at the actual source you should be alright.  If you're off center get to one side and aim at that speaker stack.  Be creative and have fun.  If you happen to know any owners or workers at a local bar or club see if you can attach a permanent mount somewhere good.  I know one user here did that.  He got permission and put a T bar on the ceiling of a couple different places.  That way you never have to worry about placement or people getting in your way.  If you don't know anyone simply ask to speak to the manager and be very nice no matter what reaction you get.  Make sure you tell them you'd be recording bands that don't mind you taping them and offer copies of what you record.  Another idea is to use clamps or other means to attach to a support pole if the building has any.  I'd say pick a couple venues and check them out beforehand if you are able. 

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 02:19:17 PM »
Thanks. Luckily I know most of the local bands (I've written about them for the local newspaper) and some of the venue owners. I've contacted a few bands already and they're all cool with recording. Some of the older musicians here I doubt would allow it, but that's a generational thing. Thanks, russ c
Edirol UA-5

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 11:33:11 PM »
My CA mics have the clips, for use in stealth situations. Could you still use them w/ a stand, or would you have to rig something up made of PVC to allow space for the clips?

That make any sense? ;)
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 01:41:44 PM »
That's probably what I'll have to do since I ordered mine with the clips. Seems like you could cut a notch for the clips to slide through into the pvc. I have ideas, but carrying them out is another thing! ;D russ3523
Edirol UA-5

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 03:22:54 PM »
I'm working on DIY plans to build a mount similar to the Neumann DA-AK, but designed to have one mic and mount on a t-bar of some sort.   ;D

That should let me use my CA cards (w/ clips) and the DIY dead rats that I made with little or no trouble.

I might build one specifically for XY/90, too.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline greatape

• Taperssection Regular
    • www.youtube.com/GreatTapes
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 08:04:30 PM »
My CA mics have the clips, for use in stealth situations. Could you still use them w/ a stand, or would you have to rig something up made of PVC to allow space for the clips?

That make any sense? ;)

Sound Professionals has this mount that accommodates Church Audio mics with alligator clips:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GNA-2

I think I'm going to buy it.
My Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/GreatTapes

Audio:
Church Audio STC11 Cardioids>ST9000>Tascam Dr2d

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2007, 08:14:28 PM »
Looks nice, but $25/clip? :P
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com