Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps advice needed what model to go for?  (Read 8168 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps advice needed what model to go for?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 09:15:36 PM »
> please correct me if I am wrong ...

Well, not knowing the Nbox's circuitry, my only quibble would be that this isn't a phantom powering arrangement of any kind. The 60 Volts is the capsule's polarization voltage. It is simply sent along on a wire all its own in the cable, without going through the whole Wheatstone Bridge rigamarole.

It's almost like with tube microphones, where the plate voltage was sent from the power supply to the microphone along one wire in the cable, the filament voltage on another, and the audio came back along totally separate leads with no DC on them. Generally the capsule's polarization voltage (which requires almost no current once the initial charge is established) was taken from the plate voltage, except in microphones with remote-controlled directional patterns.

The only differences here are that (a) there's no vacuum tube (that I'm aware of) in a Colette cable or an Nbox; (b) the two DC voltages are for the capsule and the FET in the head end of the Colette cable; and (c) the audio signal is unbalanced, so it flows in only one conductor and is measured relative to the shield/ground.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 12:27:58 PM »

scott at redding told me that they are currently $499 each and are only going up to $529

if they do perform at close to or as well as a cmc6, thats a HUGE value considering how flexible they would be with the low power requirement. I def. will be a/b ing them with my 4v's.

4v's+cmr in kangol>small pre>recorder = uber stealth

Doesn't appear to me to be "uber stealth" as say the Nbox, Lemosax, etc setups. It appears the CMR will only power one capsule per unit, therefore requiring 2 CMR's to get a stereo pair?
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 12:43:08 PM »
I figured I was missing something.  ;D
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 12:56:15 PM »
are there any unmodified preamps that can power the CMR? Jerryfreak mentioned sending in the mic2496 and a custom CA preamp, but I'm wondering if there are any of the self products that we typically use that would be applicable.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 05:45:58 AM »
none that i'm aware of (yet), though a simple battery box may be able to work. i've been communicating with schoeps all week, they havent gotten either pre to work to their satisfaction, but are begrudgingly sticking with it if i can get schematics/more info on the pres. Bernhard is the man, he is currently soothing the agro engineers who spent two days on this already! I've learned a lot about what the CMR's want in terms of power, if this first incarnation doesnt work, we'll get it soon. Chris is interested in making it happen....

are there any unmodified preamps that can power the CMR? Jerryfreak mentioned sending in the mic2496 and a custom CA preamp, but I'm wondering if there are any of the self products that we typically use that would be applicable.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 10:36:04 AM »
thanks for the info jerryfreak. +t

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 03:12:33 PM »
update: neither len nor chris will provide schoeps with schematics of their preamps, so were kind of done with any support from schoeps :(

I'm not sure i want to spend $1000 on the CMRs and then risk damaging the CMR's and 4Vs by experimenting
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 05:46:05 PM »
for a minute i thought you were talking about the DMT series mics which are popular on bisco tour

Seems like it should be easy to adapt an existing battery box design to the characteristics of the CMR.

Edit: corrected CMT to CMR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com