Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Rig decision.......(I Think)  (Read 2145 times)

Offline cavernut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
New Rig decision.......(I Think)
« on: December 26, 2008, 12:35:51 PM »
First of all I would like to say Merry Christmas to all my new friends..

Second I would like to say a heart felt thank you to everyone who went out of their way to help me figure out what i really wanted and needed.
I know that the final list is not going to be what everyone recommended, but all in all I'm sure there is something here that everyone will agree on.

MOGAMI GOLD-STUDIO-3 Mic Cable XLR-XLR Quad

AKG C480B with the CK61/62/63 capsules

Grace Design Lunatec V3 12v

M-Audio Microtrack II

Bogen / Manfroto 9' pole Model # not sure yet (Any suggestions?)

I have had the MTII since January of 08' and i have an APC four AAA USB backup for it as well.
However i would love to find a mini USB 90 degree plug where it goes into the MTII, but for that matter I'm probably going to need a 90 degree RCA for the S/PDIF in as well. (Any recommendations for the S/PDIF cable?)

I also plan to buy a standard 12v Gel Cell and build a custom cable for it to power the V3 (Any Comments?)

As soon as its built i will be using this in the studio and out at gigs, I cant wait.

Once again Thank You All,

Michael Foy

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Rig decision.......(I Think)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 08:43:50 PM »
Michael, for ordinary 3- or 6-foot S/P-DIF connections at ordinary sampling frequencies, no special kind of cable is required; ordinary audio cable will do fine. A cable shorter than about 1/8 of an electrical wavelength has no meaningful "characteristic impedance" so that whole issue is completely meaningless.

If you're going to use long cables or high sampling rates, look for 75-Ohm video cable with RCA connectors on it. Again, nothing expensive or exotic is required--just a Sony RCA-to-RCA video cable for $6 or whatever.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 08:56:37 PM »
I also plan to buy a standard 12v Gel Cell and build a custom cable for it to power the V3 (Any Comments?)

Consider this for power. Small, light weight, built-in charging (AC wall wort or cig-lighter DC) and power metering.  I use two of the older 5400mah versions to run the V3 all day and usually just need one.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 10:39:40 AM »
I like SLA batteries and I think they are under appreciated.  They are very dependable, inexpensive, easy to charge, love to be stored fully charged, and have a low self discharge rate.  Their biggest drawback is their weight.

The Grace has only one power input so if you build a power cable, use a locking connector like the Switchcraft S760K.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com