Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First time DSLR purchase  (Read 7940 times)

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
First time DSLR purchase
« on: June 03, 2019, 12:26:10 AM »
My partner wants to start taking photos with something real, not just her phone camera. I have been tasked with finding her something to work with. Craigslist has a number of options at a range of prices. I want folks’ input as to what sort of budget is needed to get something worthwhile, as well as what sort of considerations should be taken into account.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: First time DSLR purchase
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 01:48:57 AM »
My partner wants to start taking photos with something real, not just her phone camera. I have been tasked with finding her something to work with. Craigslist has a number of options at a range of prices. I want folks’ input as to what sort of budget is needed to get something worthwhile, as well as what sort of considerations should be taken into account.

im not the biggest camera guy but the $300ish 2016ish eos rebel i bought use is still a screamin deal imo
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 07:23:20 AM »
You also need to consider the cost of the lens and what focal range you’ll need.

The body is much less important than the lens similar to how the mics for recording are more important than the deck.

If lowlight is part of your requirements than you’ll need a fast lens which cost money.

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 09:09:39 AM »
You also need to consider the cost of the lens and what focal range you’ll need.

The body is much less important than the lens similar to how the mics for recording are more important than the deck.

If lowlight is part of your requirements than you’ll need a fast lens which cost money.

That is what I have been reading too.  I'm still looking for the perfect lens.  When you say "fast lens" is that the smaller F value?

I like that you can get image stabilization on the lens instead of the camera.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:42:41 AM by JimmieC »
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 06:58:45 PM »
it also came with multiple lenses for that price. camera aficionados are jsut like us - always blowing out perfectly good modern gear for the sake of the latest and greatest

you buying a new top of the line camera to start would be like a noob buying a SD scorpio out of the gate

im not the biggest camera guy but the $300ish 2016ish eos rebel i bought use is still a screamin deal imo
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 10:55:00 PM »
I think the analogy is apt.

Buy the best lens you can afford.

What’s the subject of the pictures?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 01:12:56 PM »
Subjects would be mostly nature pictures. We live in California, where there are countless vista points with stunning views, which makes me think a wide-angle lens might be a good way to go.

If it wasn’t abundantly clear, I’m a total photography noob.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 01:26:09 PM »
If you can push the budget to it, try and go for a camera with a full size sensor rather than one of the cheaper APS size ones. I promise you'll thank me in a year or so.

https://lenspire.zeiss.com/photo/en/article/making-sense-of-sensors-full-frame-vs-aps-c/
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 03:25:22 PM »
I bought a Canon EOS M50 a year or so ago and wish I would have gotten a camera with a plethora of used lenses available. The camera is nice and takes good photos, but I'm a gear slut and these lenses aren't cheap. Sure you can buy adapters but that's just another thing to keep track of.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 10:13:14 AM »
My suggestion is to buy on eBay a Canon eos 5d 12.8

That’s the original version 5d it’s full frame and takes gorgeous photos.

Should be able to get one for around $250

Or get a Canon 40d it’s a crop sensor but is built like a tank.

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 08:23:13 PM »
Photography is my day job, which makes this one of the rare topics I'm actually qualified to give any advice.

For used cameras/lenses a budget of $250 - $500 will get you a decent entry level camera. For new, I'd double that.

Don't get hung up on sensor size. Your partner would do just as well with an APS-C or m4/3 camera as a "full frame". I shoot professionally for corporate clients (portraits, lifestyle and events); my cameras have APS-C sensors; no client has ever questioned or complained about image quality. I shot with a full frame system before switching to the smaller cameras so I know what I'm "missing". (And I cut my teeth shooting 4"x5", so I really know what I'm missing.)

A Canon 5D (original version) with a 50mm f1.8 lens would be a fair option, but more for its well thought out user interface and decent viewfinder rather than its sensor size. It's a beast though; at a recent corporate event my second shooter's 5d Mk3 and 70-200 lens weighed more than my entire system.

My suggestion would be to look at the newer crop of mirrorless cameras. I'm smitten by my Fuji cameras and find many of the Panasonic and Olympus m4/3 cameras interesting. In particular, look at a used Fuji X-T1 with the 18-55 f2.8-4.0 kit zoom or 35mm f2 normal lens. I think it's several steps above the entry level DSLRs from Canon or Nikon in terms of usability (control interface and viewfinder); I'd expect them to be more responsive than an original Canon 5D with better image quality. It's a nice little camera.
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 12:03:45 AM »

Not anything real special but I wanted to start shooting at some shows so I bought a nearly new Nikon 3200 kit at the local camera shop for 40% off new price and it had maybe 1000 snaps on it. Picked up a decent 50mm f1.8 for $200 at B&H and I was good. The camera has a bunch of settings for noobs or people too lazy to deal with the menus and they work just fine or you can shoot in full manual mode with access to all the settings. I also chose it because it shoots decent video and has a mic input so I can shoot some video from my recording position and take a camera output from my recording deck.

Getting a fixed focal length lens gets you much better glass for your money but they are kind of mission specific. I got my 50mm because it's a good for shooting people on stage from the front of the stage.

A zoom lens can be much more adaptable depending on the situation but is typically more expensive.

Not recommending this camera specifically but rather the approach - buy a kit with a decent body that someone traded into the shop for an upgrade and get a good lens new later.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 07:04:52 PM »
Subjects would be mostly nature pictures. We live in California, where there are countless vista points with stunning views, which makes me think a wide-angle lens might be a good way to go.

If it wasn’t abundantly clear, I’m a total photography noob.

For landscape shots, a good wide angle lens on a full frame will serve you well. You'll also want a good tripod. I'm a Canon guy, so I would suggest getting a used 5D mkII or mkIII and a 17-35 L.

The newer expensive bodies and lenses give you more versatility to shoot in more challenging conditions. So if you think you will be at all interested in portraits, night-photography, sports, birding, concerts, etc., my recommendation would be different. Or you could buy a starter set now, get used to the settings then upgrade the body and lenses when you need the capability.
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline johnny9fingers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2022, 05:02:29 PM »
A fine, but often overlooked camera.  The Pentax KP.  The web address below provides some info on the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORqzQce9wto

It’s discontinued, but used cameras can be found from time to time.

John

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2022, 10:23:56 PM »
I recently bought a Sony ZV-E10.

It's a new, smaller-body (they removed the viewfinder to make it more compact) version of the venerable Sony a6400, but with updated color tech inside, no video time limits on 4k/30, and USB-C with great features for streaming, USB-C charging, etc.

That means that it takes great pictures like an A6400, takes fantastic unlimited 4k video with really good autofocus that is better than anything else in the same price bracket, it can use the same Anker USB-C batteries you use for your mixpre's and stuff which makes it great for open taping, and it's really easy to also use it for zoom and stuff. It's also tiny and lightweight.

If you don't need a viewfinder (or don't mind plugging a little external one into the very fancy hotshoe it has when you do need one), I think this camera is ideal for most of this crowd.

If you're sharing it with your girl, you may also note that this camera and the very similar a6400, a6100 are used by the youtube beauty community a lot for filming youtube videos, as they make people look nice (unlike my older compact sony digital cameras, which for some reason always made people's faces look worse than in real life)
waves -> bits

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com