Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Will these set off a wand/metal detector?  (Read 12492 times)

Offline im hungover

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Will these set off a wand/metal detector?
« on: October 04, 2019, 01:35:28 PM »
Planning on taping a band at a fest and haven’t stealthEd anything I like ten years!

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach
Mics: Oktava MK-012, ADK S51, AT853 (cards)

Decks: Fostex FR2-LE & Tascam DR40

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Will these set off a wand/metal detector?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 01:43:17 PM »
Probably not, but it all depends on how they have things set up at the door.  You just have to try it and find out.

Remember that a lot of Kevin Mitnick's "hacking" wasn't done in front of a computer screen, it was done by talking to people.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline im hungover

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
I figured I’ll leave my keys and a bunch of change in my pockets and have a decent amount of stuff in my backpack as a distraction

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 03:32:46 PM »
I would say almost definitely yes

Offline faninor

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 03:59:49 PM »
Until recently I was using that same Tascam recorder and similar sized mics, and I set off every single walk-through metal detector and at least 95% of the wands that I encountered in the past several years.

Offline im hungover

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 05:18:07 PM »
Until recently I was using that same Tascam recorder and similar sized mics, and I set off every single walk-through metal detector and at least 95% of the wands that I encountered in the past several years.
I was afraid of this. Especially the xlrs

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 05:19:20 PM »
I would guess the 2 things working against you are the XLR connectors and the batteries.

9V batteries in my stealth rig set them off.

Use your imagination and Jedi training to figure out how to get around it.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline faninor

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 05:56:18 PM »
Agreed about the batteries and the XLR connectors. My batteries typically did not go through the metal detectors -- minimize what stays on your person as much as possible and always be prepared in case you set them off anyway.

Offline im hungover

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 06:26:51 PM »
I have an aux battery that will be in my bag and wil most likely do this in two trips since will be camping and have in
And out access. Will take bats out of the recorder

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »
Probably best to discuss privately.  Wouldn't put that through the metal detectors.  Other ways.

Offline Galen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Collective Unconscious.org
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 06:57:02 PM »
Over the past 20 years I have been busted taping as in kicked-out/caught/walked-out a total of three times. Never, have I been unable to get my gear in through the door. I've taped thousand/s of concerts. And I have brought a LOT of gear inside in my day. The most was a Tool show in 2007 where I pulled 7 sources but that's a different story. You figure out a method that works for you and you exert confidence that you are there to enjoy the concert, meaning, you are honest in your demeanor. Someone has a question? Already have a response in your mind. There are always people behind you in line.

Sony PCM-M1 
Sony TCD-100
Sony TCD-D8
Nakamichi CM-300
DPA 4061
Wires & Waves
Invested Enigmatic Matriculation

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 11:16:59 AM »
Over the past 20 years I have been busted taping as in kicked-out/caught/walked-out a total of three times. Never, have I been unable to get my gear in through the door. I've taped thousand/s of concerts. And I have brought a LOT of gear inside in my day. The most was a Tool show in 2007 where I pulled 7 sources but that's a different story. You figure out a method that works for you and you exert confidence that you are there to enjoy the concert, meaning, you are honest in your demeanor. Someone has a question? Already have a response in your mind. There are always people behind you in line.

Sure. LOL. This is a different world we live in. A lot different than 2007. No offense, but your story and 50 cents wouldn't even buy you a cup of coffee these days. I've actually been taping longer than that and I have only been caught once and never caught while already inside. My comment above is more than accurate for today's social climate. The insurance and liability for concerts has increased to outrageous proportions and no club/venue wants to be the next on the evening news. That's why security is a LOT tighter these days. If you don't think so, that's cool ... but that just means you'll be caught soon.

Ooo a taper dick measuring contest!

I recently took 5 IEM packs + Zoom F8 + Battery Pack + Headphones + Cords through walk-thrus metal detectors and wands in Vegas. Two shows back to back! That's a nice girthy package.

But in all seriousness, I can vouch for Galen and he knows what he's doing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:03:58 PM by hoserama »
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Galen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Collective Unconscious.org
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 07:46:52 PM »
Holding your keys in your hand with your gear was never, ever an idea that would work across all spheres of taping variables.

I agree that venue security is a bit more heightened what with mass shootings and whatnot, however PiedPiper, there are always people behind you. I'm sure you've pulled some sweet recordings with your Zoom F1 and SPSC but, uh, I'd dig seeing your list of accomplishments since you seem like you really know your stuff and come across as an exceptionally well-informed taper. If you relied on 'tricks' like leaving your keys in your hand then, well, of course you got busted at the door. All I'm saying is there are ways one can get into any venue with what you need. Myself, at minimum for two sources: 2 x M1 or D100 DAT, 2 x wires, 2 x headphones, 1 x scanner, 2 or 3 x boxes and maybe an extra hard disk to pull an easy AUD if I feel so inclined. That's a considerable amount of material. All that said, yeah, security is tougher now than it was, say, ~1999 but it also tightened up after the Dimebag Darrell shooting in the mid 2000's. And that was at a small club in Ohio.

There is a big difference between caught at the door and being caught inside. Caught at the door, you just walk away. Inside, if you do not know your rights, you could very well be caught up with security. I am not concerned about getting caught at the door but, again, never not been allowed inside even with crazy amounts of equipment on me.

Hoserama understands the longitude and latitude of taping. Dude is a Jedi.

Sure. LOL. This is a different world we live in. A lot different than 2007. No offense, but your story and 50 cents wouldn't even buy you a cup of coffee these days. I've actually been taping longer than that and I have only been caught once and never caught while already inside. My comment above is more than accurate for today's social climate. The insurance and liability for concerts has increased to outrageous proportions and no club/venue wants to be the next on the evening news. That's why security is a LOT tighter these days. If you don't think so, that's cool ... but that just means you'll be caught soon.
Sony PCM-M1 
Sony TCD-100
Sony TCD-D8
Nakamichi CM-300
DPA 4061
Wires & Waves
Invested Enigmatic Matriculation

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 10:36:37 PM »
Serious question, asking in such a way as to hopefully not risk revealing any Jedi secrets: Have other people here had security actually stop them from bringing in small recorders? Maybe it's the kind of shows I go to or I've just been lucky, but I have yet to run into any guards who care about any contraband that isn't weapons or alcohol.

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 10:45:14 AM »
... I'm sure you've pulled some sweet recordings with your Zoom F1 and SPSC but, uh, I'd dig seeing your list of accomplishments since you seem like you really know your stuff and come across as an exceptionally well-informed taper.

I catch your sarcasm.  If you think that the Zoom is the only recorder I have used for the last 30 years (especially since it's only been in production for a year or so) you're sadly mistaken. You also assume that I only use the one source, but I usually carry three sources and have for the majority of the last 15-20 years.  The point I was making (before you and your buddy tried to make this about "measuring dicks", to use his term) was that security is an issue more now than ever. It takes more than just simple tricks like "keys and loose change in your pockets" and stuff that the original poster was claiming he would do. I have my own methods and it's worked just fine for me. So you can put away your measuring stick.

You basically said Galen didn't know what he was talking about. He knows enough to do well for himself. As do most people on this thread. I think everybody is aware of the obvious point that security in 2019 is more of a challenge than 10+ years ago. Unfortunately I know too many tapers that are throwing in the towel because they're scared of the security challenge, which is their choice. So if you've got a method that works for you, great and godspeed.

Plus I already know my package is bigger than yours  :lol:
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com