Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mac/PC External HD Compatability?  (Read 1824 times)

Offline ijwthstd

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Mac/PC External HD Compatability?
« on: June 22, 2011, 11:21:56 AM »
My friend uses some sort of Mac and has been importing all his recordings to an external hard drive. The past few years he has been burning me DVD's with AIFF files which I then convert to wav with Sound Forge before editing.

He has been doing a lot more transfers recently.   

I just have a regular HP PC. If I have a hard drive sent directly to him will I be able to easily access the material? I am thinking of just grabbing one of the Western Digital Refurbished 320GB for $39.99 the next time they are on sale and have him fill it up with whatever.
"Never have I seen such a derisive comment by an uploader here about the music he is uploading." - TexasSkeptic

"is this a bad recording, or was that just a joke?" - monogwai

2012 Live Music Recap:

http://www.freewebs.com/ijwthstd/apps/blog/show/12314294-2012

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: Mac/PC External HD Compatability?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »
Yeah, getting the internal drive and an external enclosure is a good idea but he will need to format the drive to either FAT32 or NTFS so your system can read it. I would recommend the ntfs since this is the more modern file format on windows.

If he is no longer using the external drive that you speak of, maybe he can open it up and take out the HDD and replace it with the one you provide him.

The real issue here is the file systems and how the OS' will read/write to it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:43:50 AM »
Depends on how it is formatted. If it is formatted for NTFS he will have to install something like NTFS3G to be able write to an NTFS drive. If it is FAT32 and there aren't any files over 4GB then you should be fine. I doubt if it is formatted for Mac OS but if it is, he'll be able to write files to the drive but you won't be able to read from it.

EDIT: I would recommend against NTFS because even with NTFS3G installed the mac will be slow writing to it.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »
Alternately since there is an issue with 'MS-DOS File System'. It cannot write files over 4 GB. If you are working with files over 4 GB, you may need to purchase a program like MACDRIVE

MACDRIVE is installed on a Windows based computer and will allow you to read and write to a MAC formatted drive.

You can learn more about MACDRIVE here...
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Erick del Valle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • what about this pair of stealthy mics?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »
Alternately since there is an issue with 'MS-DOS File System'. It cannot write files over 4 GB. If you are working with files over 4 GB, you may need to purchase a program like MACDRIVE

MACDRIVE is installed on a Windows based computer and will allow you to read and write to a MAC formatted drive.

You can learn more about MACDRIVE here...
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

YUP! MACDRIVE saved my life!

Saludos!
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com