Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows 8 Consumer Preview...  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Windows 8 Consumer Preview...
« on: March 05, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »
Anyone else install this? I have it on my laptop, which is a secondary machine for me. I really only use it for internet use (Facebook, TS.com, watching videos).

So far I like it. I know for a fact that Microsoft is going to get crushed worse than ever with complaints by your standard computer illiterate fool. Too many changes which require a little bit of effort to figure out.

Very clever on the standard desktop. I felt like an idiot when I was thinking...why do they have a fish on the desktop? ...and then figured out what kind of fish it was.

Oh...highly recommend a FRESH INSTALL vs. Upgrading. Tried to upgrade at first. Got nothing but problems. Couldn't even really get to the desktop before it shut off due to an error.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 01:15:37 PM »
Downloaded it this morning but will wait til next week to install it (since the Developer's Preview I've been using for the last three months or so expires). I'll do a fresh install on a small hard-drive and hope it recognizes all the data I've dumped on a different drive while using the DP.

Initial reactions to the DP were loathing of the Metro interface but that was easily disabled since I don't have a touch screen and therefore the Metro is of no interest to me. Once I got it to a semblance of a recognizable desktop (I'm still using XP when I boot into Windows which is usually only for audio work) it quickly grew on me. Several new items on the Start menu and a LOT more customization available, again comparing to XP. I suspect users of W7 won't find as drastic differences as I did.

While there are one or two bugs features I don't care for and haven't figured out how to fix or disable, I must say for this MS hater to admit he actually likes this latest release is quite an accomplishment on MS's part. I'm looking to see what has changed since the DP and hope it isn't a step backward.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 01:52:56 PM »
I love windows 7 and have no use (or desire) for Metro (unless I had a tablet running it).  so I don't really see any reason to change from 7.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 04:01:43 PM »
I love windows 7 and have no use (or desire) for Metro (unless I had a tablet running it).  so I don't really see any reason to change from 7.

Hell, I have Windows 7 on a laptop, but still greatly prefer XP.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »

Agreed.  Metro appears to be designed for kindergartners.  The first time I looked at it, was the first time I ever entertained getting a Mac.  Looks like a wild desperate act to maintain its dominance.  Windows 8 says, "all chips are in."  It defeated Linux and Lion, but MS miscalculated Android and iOS' impact.  If it fails, it will be the slippery slope to oblivion.........

"I'm spyder9 and I'm a PC"

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »
When iOS and Mac OS merge and become BSD Unix Lynx Kitten we'll all regret ever having learned any Windoze at all.        :P
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 05:45:56 PM »
I've always thought the Start Menu was a mess...or at least it's hard to not turn it into a mess.

Metro (IMO) it's much easier to have your go to apps well organized (or in my case my secondary apps since I put my main apps in the toolbar).

That being said...I prefer Ubuntu at this point. Only time I fire up Windows is for the occasional task I can't do in Linux (which is pretty much limited to audio editing and watching Netflix).

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:43:56 PM »
I thought my Developers Preview was set to expire yesterday. It worked yesterday and this morning. Curious, I ran winver and now see that it expires 2013-01-15 so I won't be upgrading anytime soon unless I find an unfixable bug. I did a few searches and found that one of the MS updates extended the expiration date. I also found a few places that have some nice tips and tutorials; perhaps the best one is http://www.eightforums.com/. If you have a problem with either the DP or CP, check that link for help.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=v4boTbv9_nU
How Real People Will Use Windows 8

That is awesome.

I'll have to try that with my Mom. Might give it a go with my Dad too, but he was an electrical engineer...so I'm willing to bet he can figure it out...eventually.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 02:27:43 PM »
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »
Went to Best Buy to check out Windows 8 on devices designed for it....WHOA! Big changes vs. what I installed on my laptop earlier this year.

Tried out the Lenovo Yoga 13. Very very nice. Super easy to use with the touch screen.

Might have to go down to the Microsoft Store this week to get a better rundown of everything from someone that isn't an idiot (ie Best Buy employees).

I showed my Dad (electrical engineer) Windows 8 on my old laptop and had him try to log in and then shut off the computer. It took him a LONG time to figure out how to do either. The touchscreen along with a little training should make it easy for the dumbest of the dumb to run this thing.

If Windows 8 with a touchscreen catches on, I predict good things for MS. Before I tried it with hardware designed for it I predicted Microsoft's demise. 180 degree difference with the right hardware.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »
I've always thought the Start Menu was a mess...or at least it's hard to not turn it into a mess.

Metro (IMO) it's much easier to have your go to apps well organized (or in my case my secondary apps since I put my main apps in the toolbar).

That being said...I prefer Ubuntu at this point. Only time I fire up Windows is for the occasional task I can't do in Linux (which is pretty much limited to audio editing and watching Netflix).

^This, except I'm running Mint Cinnamon and I do my audio editing in Linux.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 04:37:07 AM »
Still running the DP on my other box. Tried the CP and a few other incremental releases but always returned to the DP as more and more functions got deleted or were no longer user customizable. I have yet to try W8 on hardware designed for it; I'll probably hit one of the local stores during this coming week to get a look at the new OS on new hardware. Not in the market to replace either desktop any time soon but thought I should at least give W8 a good workout to see if it'll be on the list when it is time to replace the current setups. In the meantime I'm happy with the various Linux distros I use for my everyday needs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com