Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Win2000 Newbie  (Read 1541 times)

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
Win2000 Newbie
« on: April 15, 2004, 08:46:29 AM »
Hey folks,

I have a couple of questions re: my recent OS upgrade.

First, I have been using Win98SE for a long time.  It was just too stable for my apps to switch.  Well, now I got the f410 and M-Audio says it won't interface with anything other 2000 or XP, so I tried to upgrade 98SE to 2000.  My installation was 'looping' and wouldn't do anything other than restart over and over again.  In fact, b/c it was looping it wouldn't even let me back in to 98SE again.  I got so frustrated I just did fdisk and then formatted C: thinking that a fresh install would be best.  (FYI, back up your emails, etc. before trying this at home kids)

It turned out that I followed some googled advice, partitioned my 10gb HD to 2gb and 8gb, set it active, removed the EZ-Bios for my secondary ide which is an 80gb HD and the W2k install took.  

Here is my first question.  With that partitioning of the 10gb HD, my OS installed to the 2GB partition.  Well, now the 8GB partition is unavailable.  I am sure that it has something to do with the file system (FAT32 vs. NTFS), but is there anyway to recover it without re-formatting and losing the OS?  It took me two fulls evenings of tweeking this to get the friggin thing to install.  I'd like to prevent a couple more wasted evenings.  

FWIW, I used a Win 98 boot disk to use fdisk and partition, and then loaded on Win2k.  Is there a fdisk that is for Win2k that I should have used?  Also, when I installed Win2K I chose to leave the file system 'as is' instead of converting everything to NTFS.  Did I goof?  

Any help is appreciated.

...Kk
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:03:44 PM by DarkStarJedi »

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Win2000 Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 09:34:06 AM »
kk;

NTFS is better, especially for larger .wav files.  i'd advise converting all your drives to NTFS.

for partition issues:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tool > Computer Management > Storage/Disc Management.

you should see all your physical drives and your partition.  find your 8gb partition and format it.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Win2000 Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 09:04:49 PM »
2 GB is also really small for a Win2k boot partition. You should have at least 4 GB on that partition, in fact, I'd use that entire 10 GB drive for Win2k and use your 80 for data.
Out of the game … for now?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com