Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: win98 hangs on sata install  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
win98 hangs on sata install
« on: October 31, 2004, 01:08:01 AM »
I finally got my dual boot linux/win98 machine configured today and I transfered a few samples from DAT to HD in the win98 DAW.  But I have one last problem before I button this up.

When I boot win98 off it's ide drive with no sata drive installed in the system, the win98 OS comes up and there is no trouble with any application.

When I boot the windows 98 as the primary drive or when I boot win98 via grub and I have the SATA drive plugged in, win98 hangs during the "found new hardware" operation when it is trying to identify the correct driver for "new ide controller". 

At this point my solution is to power off, unplug the sata, and power on the win98 DAW.  Not the choice result I was hoping for.

Any one have any ideas?  I googled for SATA win98 issues for about 2 hours and never found a solution.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: win98 hangs on sata install
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 12:00:03 PM »
i would have to say win98 and sata controllers don't get along.
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 04:46:39 PM »
I also don't think they are meant to work together. SATA is a new technology and they were not worried about Win98 users wanting this capability. Time for an OS upgrade anyway.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 04:07:23 PM »
I'll third it.  Bump up to Win2k Pro.  Just nuke and reformat your WIN98 partition.  You can keep your FAT32 file system if that is your choice.  (I do) 

Too many hardware manufacturers are not making items that will support a WIN98 OS these days. 

Also, with respect to making a dual boot machine, you typically need to install the oldest OS first.  Excuse my Linux-ignorance, but maybe install the WIN98 partition forst and then install the Linux part.  (?)

I'd also suggest surfing the knowledgebase over at Microslut.com.  I am sure Bill Gates' drones have an answer posted over there.  I think that instead of surfing for info on your SATA-related issues you should check some Linux sites and find out how to properly make a WINDOWS/LINUX dual boot work.  Does SATA even PnP with WIN98?

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 04:28:43 PM »
Win98 should handle SATA drives no problem.

Cancel the Found New Hardware detection and manually install the drivers via Device Manager and make sure that you are using the latest drivers from the drive manufacturer, etc. I just had a SATA drive crap out with bad sectors (my archive drive, 150 shows) and lost everything. You should note that they are not as easy to troubleshoot as IDE drives are  if they start acting up. They are only a tad bit faster transferring data and save you from having to mess with jumpers. Not a real benefit. I only got mine because I got it dirt cheap. I just bought another 250gig ATA133 drive that is just about as fast. I am going to put the SATA back in when I get my new one back, but will be alot more reserved when it comes to storing archived shows. However, YMMV. Good Luck!
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 11:47:07 PM »
for the price of ide/sata drives please buy two and RAID1 them (software or hardware)  HD's fail, especially in the dusty hot smokey environments of home computers.  they all have decent waranty's so when one fails you get a new one and can re-build your mirror. 

I no longer use ide/sata drives and only use scsi but i always have raid5 or raid1 for redundancy.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 11:49:50 PM »
for the price of ide/sata drives please buy two and RAID1 them (software or hardware)  HD's fail, especially in the dusty hot smokey environments of home computers.  they all have decent waranty's so when one fails you get a new one and can re-build your mirror. 

I no longer use ide/sata drives and only use scsi but i always have raid5 or raid1 for redundancy.

very nice, i also fell victim to a 200gb hd failing which was full of moe. shows.  I'm still pretty bummed about it cause i have not tried to get those shows back. :(
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 12:19:05 PM »
I'll try the manual driver installation again.  I guess it's possible I did something wrong.

I will not be updating to a newer windows.  I am actually trying to eliminate windows all together but the hang up is with my sound card.  I have an audiophile 2496 that I have not been able to get audacity on linux to take the feed from the envy24 drivers.  I've run alsa and jack and I can see the digital signal levels on the mixer panel but I can't get the signal routed to anywhere properly.  I've tried audactiy, qarecord, a few others.

So the only reason I use a windows boot drive at all is for doing DAT>HD transfers, then I boot linux and work from there.  If I could get the m-audio card talking to the recorder, that windows drive would be going away.

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 10:39:47 PM »
Just hit me like a ton of bricks...does the sound card support WIN98 at all?  I switched to WIN2K simply for the reason that my F410 wasn't supported under WIN98.  Maybe it is your attempt to run the driver on WIN98 that is causing the SATA hangs.

Hell, just rambling out loud here...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 09:13:16 AM »
The Audiophile 2496 works like a champ under W98.  The motherboard came with W98 drivers for all of the onboard peripherals.

I originally installed the base system before adding the sound card drivers.  The SATA problem was there in the base system.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com