Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: WiFi (not recording related)  (Read 4518 times)

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
WiFi (not recording related)
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:55:31 AM »
Any WiFi experts out there? I just moved the location of my desktop computer to an area that does not have cable access, and therfor can't put the cable modem there. I've placed the modem and a router next to my TV (TiVo is using a wired connection). I tested the new spot with my wireless laptop and got a very strong signal. However, after installing the card in the desktop I am getting a Low to Very Low signal and even dropping the signal at times. Has anyone used any of the "upgrade" attennas? Would you suggest just upgrading the desktop, just the router, or upgrading both? Thanks.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
Re: WiFi (not recording related)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 10:42:55 AM »
try higher gain antennas on both the router and desktop.  i wouldn't get a new desktop just because it can't see the router
we all live downstream.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 10:53:58 AM »
try higher gain antennas on both the router and desktop.  i wouldn't get a new desktop just because it can't see the router

No thoughts on getting a new desktop, that's for darn sure. And it's seeing the router, just not getting a strong signal. I'll try the antennas and hopefully that will work.

My second thought was that I was crossing signals with another router in the area.....

"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 10:56:09 AM »
I put an anntena on my router and the singal is so much stronger.  

http://www.hawkingtech.com

I have this one  http://www.hawkingtech.com/prodSpec.php?ProdID=143
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 11:01:44 AM »
I put an anntena on my router and the singal is so much stronger. 

http://www.hawkingtech.com

I have this one  http://www.hawkingtech.com/prodSpec.php?ProdID=143

So you only put it on the router? And if I read correctly, it doesn't matter what brand router I have?

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 11:05:38 AM »
yep just on the router, my router now is so much better with it on.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 03:06:03 PM »
OK, question. I've got a linksys router and card in the desktop. According to the Linksys site, the card comes with a 5dBi card (can't find the specs on the router). The antenna posted above from Hawkins only jumps it up to 6dBi. Will that make much difference? I found another Hawkins antenna that will jump it to 15dBi...will that work, or is that taking it too far?

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 03:52:40 PM »
that would work

jon

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 11:41:07 AM »
OK, so I got a high gain antenna, and IT DOESN"T SEE MY NETWORK! I can connect to two others in the neighborhood (low signal strength), but it doesn't see mine. I've got the WEP Key setup on my router, and can connect witht he laptop no problem, just not the desktop. Ideas?

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 03:39:18 PM »
I just set up a wireless network with the anntenas from radio shack and they didnt do shit. I think I am going to order this and see how it works

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 03:40:37 PM »
Get this, now the desktop works fine, but the lappie is having issues. Even with the ethernet plugged in. I throw my hands in the air to modern technology!

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 03:48:09 PM »
Just when I thought I had it all set. Had both the lappie and desktop connected last night. At some point my internet/FTP, etc stops working. Wierd, the little wifi icon is there, says I'm connected. I take a look at the status, and the IP address on both is way out of range for the router. I try to disconnect and reconnect, it connects, but again the IP Address is way out of range (not the 192.168.1.xxx that it should be). Any thoughts?

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 10:38:02 PM »
Any WiFi experts out there? I just moved the location of my desktop computer to an area that does not have cable access, and therfor can't put the cable modem there. I've placed the modem and a router next to my TV (TiVo is using a wired connection). I tested the new spot with my wireless laptop and got a very strong signal. However, after installing the card in the desktop I am getting a Low to Very Low signal and even dropping the signal at times. Has anyone used any of the "upgrade" attennas? Would you suggest just upgrading the desktop, just the router, or upgrading both? Thanks.

The upgrade antennas from Radio shack work very well I use one in my house. They cost about $30 in Canada in the US i am sure they are cheaper. Remember with wifi or anything around the 2.4 ghz a metal computer case backed up agenst a concrete wall is not your friend.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 12:08:52 AM »
The new high gain antennas are usually marketing pieces of crap and usually distort the readings on ACTUAL signal strength.

What Linksys router do you have?

I run a WRT54G.  Its pretty a standard wireless router and can be had cheap from Best Buy or similar.  Here at my Best Buy and CompUSA's they have palattes of them all the time.

Anyways, the best method I have found to increase gain in my wireless netwrk was to use 3rd party firmware and changing the dBi.  The different firmware is a Linux kernal.  It allows me to change the amount of power my router will emit.  They call it Xmit Power.  The default for the Linksys is 28 but you can go up to 84.  I keep mine around 40. No new antennas and other b.s.

Try this site:  http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/3/1/

The link is to the freeware version of their Alchemy firmware.  I have installed in on a couple of friends routers with great success.  I still have an older version Satori-4.0 v2.07.1.7sv on mine.

The firmware upgrade is super easy and any beginner or n00b can do it.  There is actually an upgrade firware tab on your router.  You just upgrade it with this firmware.  The firmware menus look just the same as the Linksys just with tons of added features and security measures.

Give it a try and let me know how its worked for ya!

NOTE: This is for certain Linksys routers so read the FAQ before you install!

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 12:20:22 AM »
Here is a direct link to the free firmware upgrade:   http://firmware.carlsonwebdesigns.com/Sveasoft/Alchemy_V1.0.zip

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com