Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who's using DDS for transfers?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline rustoleum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
Who's using DDS for transfers?
« on: August 30, 2005, 12:08:51 PM »
After buying a Audio-capcable DDS drive from another ts'er about a month ago I finally got the damn thing working.  There's just something difficult about getting 10+ year old technology to work in a relatively new computer system.  Finally after trying a couple different scsi cards, a firmware flash and several OS installations I was able to transfer about 5 minutes of audio using Dat2Wav. 

Now I'm sitting at work looking forward to dropping some ancient Phish into the drive and trying a full show when I get home and decided I'd see who else is using it.    What software are you using?  Any Pros or Cons vs using the tried and true DAT ->Digicard methods?  I was transferring via a Zoltrix Nightingale for years but this deal popping up in the Yard Sale combined with my only remaining DAT deck on it's last legs (I'm a lappy taper these days) made it tough to say no.  How's the error correction on your DDS drive?  Better than DAT?  Worse?  I'd love to hear some stories to make the afternoon go by quicker so I can get home and play with the new toys.
later
Rusty

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Who's using DDS for transfers?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 12:17:32 PM »
when i was still mastering onto DAT, i was using a dds drive.  i still have it in the machine, but it's not getting any play now that 24-bit USB 2.0 transfers are all the rage in my life!  :-)

i use(d) dat2wav, and it met my needs.  only thing i could never really get working that i wanted to was exporting error logs to a text file.  i've seen such a text file in a FLAC set somewhere, so i know it must be possible, i could just never grok how to get it going.

drag and drop via USB or firewire sure is sexier, though...

Offline rustoleum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
Re: Who's using DDS for transfers?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 12:24:47 PM »
I definately agree with the drag and drop comment and that works great for my recent masters, but I've got about 400 DATs that need to get into a new digital format... some of these tapes are 10+ years old and the sooner I get them onto DVDR the better! 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com