Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with "Compression" Gain (or any safe gain)  (Read 2697 times)

Offline mfisch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Help with "Compression" Gain (or any safe gain)
« on: August 26, 2005, 10:37:54 PM »
So I'm trying to run gain on some of my recordings for CD (they were recorded at very safe levels).

First I try just putting a 2-4dB master gain on the tracks.
This of course results in a very hot output (my DA limits it), I'm sure this is no good for a cd master.

The next obvious step was to run with a limiter. However, when I run the gain high enough to be the level I want I get fairly constant software limiting. This results in the same ugly scratchy sounds I get when the DA limits (even worse however).

My next step was to run a compression filter (with limiter). I've tried playing with all the knobs on this thing, but to get any sort of useful gain without constant clipping from the limiter I end up with an output where it sounds like someone is smothering the vocal artist with a pillow every time the drummer's stick comes down on the snare or the bass drum takes a whack.

I feel like I really need an EQ-sensitive compressor -- but I dont know where to find one.

Anyone have some good rule of thumb tips for this situation? Whats a good balance between too quiet and too weird sounding?
I'm running Steinberg Cubase SE and use an EDIROL FA-101 AD/DA on Mac, I could edit these things in different software/platform -- but I really want to do it all in Cubase if possible (more plugins?).
SP C4's > FA-101 > MacMini
whats wrong with lead?

Offline NewHomebrew

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Help with "Compression" Gain (or any safe gain)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 04:08:02 AM »
I didn't quite understand everything from your message.

You're working with an audio file that you've transferred to your computer and the levels are too low, correct?  What's the peak level, and are you interested in changing the dynamics or just the overall gain?

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 04:33:15 PM »
how about a small sample of the master recording. Just to see what were working with here.
Nick
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline momule

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 12:27:46 PM »
It may also help to know what application you're using...

he posted he is using Cubase SE. Which Im no pro with by anymeans But he can use other plugins, so "we" may be able to help him out with it.
But with the Comment of "very safe" levels Im wondering if its even do-able.

Nick

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 03:34:41 PM »
Yeah, looking to change the dynamics. I'll post some samples when I get home tonight, but just to summarize for now.

I've got a slew of recordings that sound too quiet on CD, but when I boost the gain more than 2 dB the "hot spots" clip right off the scale. A limiter can fix this but sounds sorta crappy (the wave form is truncated instead of running hot).

I'd also like to run compression to bring the quiet sections of the recording (solos, intros, etc) up to the average volume of the rest of the song.

When I run compression it manages to "Reduce Gain" in advance of any hot spots, but because of this the vocals (and quieter instruments) take a nose dive in volume to make room for a bass/snare hit or waa pedal sound.

It seems to me an EQ-aware compressor could take care of all of this by reducing the gain of just the greedy freqs. Maybe theres a way to run my dynamic filter against specific frequency ranges in Cubase?
whats wrong with lead?

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 09:26:18 PM »
what ratio are you compressing at?  sounds to me like you really squashing things... try a much lower ratio and see how you like it. 

I feel like I really need an EQ-sensitive compressor -- but I dont know where to find one.

look for a multiband compressor.  not the easiest processor to master the use of, but allows for processing o specific bands as opposed to the whole range.   
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 10:12:01 PM »
what ratio are you compressing at?  sounds to me like you really squashing things... try a much lower ratio and see how you like it. 

look for a multiband compressor.  not the easiest processor to master the use of, but allows for processing o specific bands as opposed to the whole range.   

I've tried anywhere between 1.5:1 and 4:1, the former being too little, the latter too much. There really doesnt seem to be a good balance. I think the recordings just really hop around alot.

A multiband compressor would be perfect, can you make any recommendations? If I could run the compression/gain above and below 500khz seperately I think all my problems would be gone.
whats wrong with lead?

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 10:48:00 PM »

I've tried anywhere between 1.5:1 and 4:1, the former being too little, the latter too much. There really doesnt seem to be a good balance. I think the recordings just really hop around alot.

A multiband compressor would be perfect, can you make any recommendations? If I could run the compression/gain above and below 500khz seperately I think all my problems would be gone.

Aha! Free VST plugin that does 3-band Multiband Compression. Not gonna compete with those fancy 5-band compressors but I like the price. Will report back after I try it out.

http://www.apulsoft.ch/freeports/index.php

ps, who knows the best places to get free VST plugins? (mac preferred, but I have pc's too). Maybe I'll repost that one into a new thread (depending on how this compressor works).
whats wrong with lead?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com