Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who makes the best external drive( most reliable )?  (Read 6044 times)

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
Who makes the best external drive( most reliable )?
« on: November 22, 2005, 07:04:54 PM »
ssia
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

RebelRebel

Re: Who makes the best external drive( most reliable )?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 07:41:22 PM »
smartdisk/crossfire

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 08:47:47 PM »
any one own a LaCie?

RebelRebel

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 03:43:03 AM »
I dont own them, but they were selling them at the PX for about a month and not a one of them sold, even though they were cheaper than anything else there.

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 07:19:35 AM »
any one own a LaCie?

laCie has always Been about three steps ahead in the external drive market.
I believe they are also one of the only companies making a External drive that has the speed of Firewire 800 . (hell Im pretty happy with the firewire 400., I could only Imagine 800) 

but honestly For speed, price and warranty I would have to suggest picking up a Seagate drive and buying your own enclosure .
Gonna be hard to find another drive that carries a 5 year warranty, And Seagates are almost twice as quiet as most other drives.
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 09:00:56 AM »
Don't settle for anything less than a 3 year warranty.  Most retail drives only have 1 year warranties.  OEM are 3.  You may have to assemble your own drive and enclosure.

I only buy external enclosures with fans.  Drive temp is very important to reliability.

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 11:01:07 AM »
any one own a LaCie?

I have the LaCie Porsche designed silver one...250gb.  Haven't had any problem w/ it so far.
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 11:57:06 AM »
any one own a LaCie?

I have the LaCie Porsche designed silver one...250gb.  Haven't had any problem w/ it so far.

I have one of these too -- winxp reports that the hard drive inside is a Maxtor. 

Thus far I've had equal luck with maxtor, seagate and westernd digital hard drives. 

Personally, I agree with the recommendation to pick up an internal drive (look for cheapest b&m prices via www.salescircular.com) and an external enclosure and build your own.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 12:11:28 PM »
FWIW, I will no longer buy segate.  They didn't have an advance replacement warranty a few years back and more than a couple early drive failures. Not sure if they've since caught up. I've had good luck with WD and their warranty replacements have always gone smooth. I have over 2TB of WD drives and won't buy anything else right now.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 07:05:12 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. +T for everyone

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 09:46:41 AM »
LaCie and Glyph are probably the best overall external HD setups...Glyph is specially made for external audio capture

the water's clean and innocent

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 11:48:33 PM »
external RAID drives have long been conspiciously lacking in the consumer market ... until now

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/data_sheets/onetouch_iii_turbo_datasheet.pdf

That'd be the one Id get, if you have the cash. No availability for another two weeks though, this is a new product!
SP C4's > FA-101 > MacMini
whats wrong with lead?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 12:28:17 AM »
any one own a LaCie?

laCie has always Been about three steps ahead in the external drive market.
I believe they are also one of the only companies making a External drive that has the speed of Firewire 800 . (hell Im pretty happy with the firewire 400., I could only Imagine 800) 

but honestly For speed, price and warranty I would have to suggest picking up a Seagate drive and buying your own enclosure .
Gonna be hard to find another drive that carries a 5 year warranty, And Seagates are almost twice as quiet as most other drives.

If you have the cash I recommend buying the retail product, either WD or Maxtor.  Look for closeout sales on older models.  I've used several of the Maxtor drives and found their enclosures to be better (quieter, better cooling, and better looking) than the after market ones.  If I were doing a huge number of drives I might standardize on one enclosure, but tracking down good quality ones is a challenge, especially if you want specific things, like both Firewire and USB.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 12:49:11 AM »
external RAID drives have long been conspiciously lacking in the consumer market ... until now

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/data_sheets/onetouch_iii_turbo_datasheet.pdf

That'd be the one Id get, if you have the cash. No availability for another two weeks though, this is a new product!

I didn't check out the Maxtor above, but IME many of the firewire/USB external RAID setups are s/w controlled RAID v. h/w controlled RAID.  You're better off with h/w controlled RAID.  Most of the h/w controlled external RAID options are SATA at the moment.  A quick PC Guide write-up on h/w v. s/w RAID.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 09:31:49 AM »
like i've said before, we use nothing but Quantegy drives for our archival audio work.  Thus far, I've filled about 2-300 200gig firewire drives with no failures.  They are fantastic.

h
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 09:29:58 PM »

I didn't check out the Maxtor above, but IME many of the firewire/USB external RAID setups are s/w controlled RAID v. h/w controlled RAID.  You're better off with h/w controlled RAID.  Most of the h/w controlled external RAID options are SATA at the moment.  A quick PC Guide write-up on h/w v. s/w RAID.

Thats why the maxtor onetouch III is so exciting. Other than spending thousands on equipment, or building your own hardware from scratch, its the FIRST external USB/1394 product with integrated _hardware_ RAID. Take a look at the specshttp://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/data_sheets/onetouch_iii_turbo_datasheet.pdf.
whats wrong with lead?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 10:58:50 PM »
Thats why the maxtor onetouch III is so exciting. Other than spending thousands on equipment, or building your own hardware from scratch, its the FIRST external USB/1394 product with integrated _hardware_ RAID. Take a look at the specshttp://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/data_sheets/onetouch_iii_turbo_datasheet.pdf.

Ah, yes, that IS exciting.  I only glanced at the specsheet, namely the "includes" section and didn't see reference to a dedicated h/w controller.  I missed the reference to the Oxford 924 chipset (and actually had to go look it up since I wasn't familiar with it).  External h/w RAID over USB/1394 - very cool!  And about time, I say.
Roland R-05

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 11:06:40 PM »

Ah, yes, that IS exciting.  I only glanced at the specsheet, namely the "includes" section and didn't see reference to a dedicated h/w controller.  I missed the reference to the Oxford 924 chipset (and actually had to go look it up since I wasn't familiar with it).  External h/w RAID over USB/1394 - very cool!  And about time, I say.

Yeah, but what you want is RAID5 (redundancy built in) not RAID0 (just stripping).  Anyway, software RAID is not bad, especially if you do just RAID0.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 11:15:55 PM »
Yeah, but what you want is RAID5 (redundancy built in) not RAID0 (just stripping).  Anyway, software RAID is not bad, especially if you do just RAID0.

The OneTouch - and a whole slew of other internal and external solutions, though most are SATA-based - supports RAID1 (mirroring = redundancy).
Roland R-05

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 12:27:43 AM »

The OneTouch - and a whole slew of other internal and external solutions, though most are SATA-based - supports RAID1 (mirroring = redundancy).

OK, there are many different types of RAID.

RAID0: This stores data over 2 or more drives: more storage, faster speed, but less reliable as more drives added.

RAID1: Store same data over 2 (or more?) drives: more reliable, but needs a second drive.

RAID5: Store data over 3 or more drives, with 1 (or more) drive having parity information.  (Actually, the parity information is not stored on a single drive, but distributed across all of them.)  You can recover from failure of a single drive and the array will still work.  This has the speed/storage advantages of RAID0, but with more reliability.  The disadvantage is that it requires a lot of CPU power to do all the number crunching.  This is where you want an hardware controller, either on a PC card or built into the box of disks.

A typical setup for RAID5 would be: four 300G drives, one for redundancy, giving 3*300G=900G of storage.  Or eight 300G drives, one redundant, giving 2100G of storage.

Richard

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 12:55:40 AM »
OK, there are many different types of RAID.

Good summary, Richard, for those unfamiliar with RAID.  More RAID info for those interested.

Straight RAID1 and RAID5 both will provide redundancy for a single HD failure within the array, but not multiple concurrent failures.  If both HDs fail in RAID1, you're hosed.  Likewise, if two or more drives fail concurrently in RAID5, you're still hosed.  For the same level of redundancy, albeit with a slight performance hit, RAID1 is less expensive and I suspect suitable for most TS users' needs.  As always, just make sure you have ample backups off-HD!
Roland R-05

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 04:45:45 PM »

Richard

The unit above does RAID 0 (striping) or RAID 1 (mirrored set). The former buying you read/write speed and space, the latter buying you redundancy and read speed.

Some okay easy to understand RAID information is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks

Also, Ive been working with RAID 1 and 5 for about 5 years on mid-range attached storage arrays (not to be confused with high end gear like an EMC clariion that might have hundreds of disks, or a SAN) ... and Ive slowly come around to the point that RAID 5 is a waste of money, or at the very least a misuse of money.
See http://www.baarf.com/ for a rant on why. Although RAID 5 is often pitched into the mid-range server market, seasoned pro's avoid it like the plague.

Consider RAID 0 for speed/space, RAID 1 for redundancy of a single disk, and RAID10 when you need redundancy, speed, and extra space.
whats wrong with lead?

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 04:51:29 PM »

If you really can't wait, there's also this: http://www.cooldrives.com/ufsatofibrbo.html
I considered picking one up a few months ago but the cost of all the parts alone is way more than the maxtor solution. I'm just counting the days until that thing launches.

ps.
Dont buy that interface unless you are really hardcore, it probably requires custom programming to be loaded onto the onboard ROM to function in a raid set. There might be reference software available from oxford, but "reference kits" arent exactly consumer friendly either.
whats wrong with lead?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com