Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Patching a 24bit show with a 16bit source?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Patching a 24bit show with a 16bit source?
« on: November 26, 2005, 09:42:50 PM »
The other night i recorded a show with 461>V2 rca out> microtrack 1/4" in at 24/48. it ran to the 2gb limit (about 1hr 56min) at which time the MT stopped/wrote the file. i missed a little bit of the show (about 15minutes) before i noticed and restarted a second file. i was running a backup:  461>V2 XLR out >mod_sbm1>jb3 at 16/44.1.

I would like to have a complete 24bit source to post to the archive. is there anything i can do with the 16/44.1 source to patch into the 24/48 source? can this be done, and if so... how.  upsample the 16/44.1 to 24/48?

any help would be appreciated, and please be KIND as i am a 24bit newb.  i used the search function to no avail.

thanks

chris k
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
Re: Patching a 24bit show with a 16bit source?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 10:09:53 PM »
The other night i recorded a show with 461>V2 rca out> microtrack 1/4" in at 24/48. it ran to the 2gb limit (about 1hr 56min) at which time the MT stopped/wrote the file. i missed a little bit of the show (about 15minutes) before i noticed and restarted a second file. i was running a backup:  461>V2 XLR out >mod_sbm1>jb3 at 16/44.1.

I would like to have a complete 24bit source to post to the archive. is there anything i can do with the 16/44.1 source to patch into the 24/48 source? can this be done, and if so... how.  upsample the 16/44.1 to 24/48?

any help would be appreciated, and please be KIND as i am a 24bit newb.  i used the search function to no avail.

thanks

chris k

All you need to do is upsample the 16/44.1 source to 48khz and up the bit depth to 24-bit.  You should be able to so this in Soundforge or Wavelab.   Just make sure when you put the two pieces together that you have a matching point so there is no artifact in the transition.

Good luck!
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 10:36:10 PM »
All you need to do is upsample the 16/44.1 source to 48khz and up the bit depth to 24-bit.  You should be able to so this in Soundforge or Wavelab.   Just make sure when you put the two pieces together that you have a matching point so there is no artifact in the transition.

I'd recommend applying a crossfade to smooth the transition from one source to the next.  And you probably don't even need to convert the bitdepth.  Just <1> SRC the patch source from 44.1kHz to 48kHz, <2> add the files to your multitrack editor, <3> align them, <4> apply crossfades, and <5> when generating the mixdown file, simply specify the proper output bit-depth (24) and sample rate (48k).  The multitrack editor should simply pad the 16-bit source with zeroes for the least significant 8 bits.

The final file would like like this (since I can't resist ASCII):

24A = the first 24-bit file
PS = the patch source
24B = the second 24-bit file
Green = the audible portions of each file
Maroon = muted portions of the patch source

[----------24A----------]
[---------------------------PS---------------------------]
                                 [----------24B----------]

« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 10:38:03 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Chris K

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 08:52:20 AM »
great advice. thanks.

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 09:50:22 AM »
I've done it before using the "montage" feature of WL5.  I also recommend playing with crossfades (and possibly gain) to make the transitions as smooth as possible.  I resampled and changed the bit depth on the 16bit source before loading into the multi-track montage.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Chris K

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 12:56:21 PM »
I've done it before using the "montage" feature of WL5.  I also recommend playing with crossfades (and possibly gain) to make the transitions as smooth as possible.  I resampled and changed the bit depth on the 16bit source before loading into the multi-track montage.

thanks. i was going to try in wl5 montage mode. i think i will convert the 16bit file to 24/48 first as you suggest, and then follow brians advice with the aligning and muting.

-Elvis Presley

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »
I don't know that I would do this at all.  Just seed it as is and note the flaw in the file.  Upload the complete 16 bit file too though, so folks who aren't as critical can have the whole show.  I personally would rather have just the 24 bit segments even if flawed, than a patched version that's sonically complete but not fully 24 bit in places...

Just my opinion of course.  If you're hell-bent on making a "complete 24 bit file" though, all of the above suggestions are good ones.
Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 01:53:03 PM »
I don't know that I would do this at all.  Just seed it as is and note the flaw in the file.  Upload the complete 16 bit file too though, so folks who aren't as critical can have the whole show.  I personally would rather have just the 24 bit segments even if flawed, than a patched version that's sonically complete but not fully 24 bit in places...

I'd much rather have a brief section at 16bit rather than a gap or skip.  Anyone else prefer the gaps?..... anyone?....  ???  ;)
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Chris K

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 02:20:55 PM »
for the show in question (lotus 11-23-2005) i have already seeded the 16bit version on LAMA. i am experimenting with the 24bit, and would like to give a 24bit copy of the show to a good friend who sucks at disc golf, but likes lotus   ;D

-Elvis Presley

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 03:32:11 PM »

I'd much rather have a brief section at 16bit rather than a gap or skip.  Anyone else prefer the gaps?..... anyone?....  ???  ;)

Maybe a 15 second segment I suppose, but not a 15 minute segment.  To me that doesn't qualify as a "brief section".  As always, YMMV...
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 03:36:06 PM »
Maybe a 15 second segment I suppose, but not a 15 minute segment.  To me that doesn't qualify as a "brief section".  As always, YMMV...

Yup, YMMV.  I'd much rather have the complete source - if patched reasonably well - than a 15-min cut.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com