Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows 64 bit question...  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Windows 64 bit question...
« on: August 07, 2006, 06:31:57 PM »
Hello. Like I've said a thousand times before, I am by no means compitent to own a computer! haha. Anyway, I bought a lap top a few months ago, it came with XP Media Center. One of the first things I did was install XP Pro (regular old xp pro, NOT the 64x edition). The processor is an AMD Turion64. It doesn't run very well for being a 2ghz processor with a gig of ram. What Im wondering is if regular windows xp pro can run the 64 bit processor? Should I put Media Center back on? Im just wondering because this computer runs pretty slow, and Im not talking about recording or anything. Just doing regular things (like having a few internet windows open, a word processor, listening to music and having torrents running) it sometimes runs like a Commodore 64 ;) Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 06:34:26 PM by Swampy »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Windows 64 bit question...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 07:31:59 PM »
Windows Media Center Edition (MCE) is very similar to XP Pro. You shouldn't see much of a difference in performance. If you're not going to use the MCE part (recording TV) then it's kind of pointless to have it. From what I understand MCE is just XP Pro with a few minor features removed from Pro and the TV recording (etc) features added.

A 2Ghz proc with 1GB of ram should not run slowly at all, unless you're doing some serious video editting or other similar process. There may be something else wrong if that is the case. I run a 1.8 Ghz proc with 1GB of RAM and I'm using MCE. Runs like a champ (for windoze).

When you installed XP Pro did you do a FRESH install or install XP Pro OVER MCE? I would suggest the FRESH install (including formating the HD) if you didn't do that.

Also there is a particular order to install everything (the OS, Drivers, Programs etc). I don't recall exactly what order to do everything in detail. I'm pretty sure if you did a Google search on installing windows you could come up with something. I would also suggest checking out MaximumPC.com and read some of their archives. I remember reading about the order you should install everything in one of their issues. Maybe they have the article on their site now.

Hopefully that helps a little bit. Maybe someone could chime in with some other suggestions.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 07:53:02 PM »
XP pro has a lot of background services etc that run that are unnecessary for non-networking purposes that can hog a lot of resources. there is a link somewhere (ill see if I can find it) that talks about how to turn them off and speed XP Pro up.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Swampy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 07:57:31 PM »
Thanks guys. I did a fresh install when I installed it. I figured XP pro would be better than MC, but I guess maybe not... Maybe I should send it back to Gateway to have them look at it...

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 08:15:13 PM »
a number of computers have pc-specific drivers that need to be installed along with a windoze install.  You might want to check out gateway's site and confirm that you have the proper drivers/etc. installed for your particular pc.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 08:17:00 PM »
Also might add that you can turn off a lot of crap to help Windows run faster. If you can live without all the animation and pretty colors read this:

http://www.musicxp.net/
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 08:25:14 PM »
Also might add that you can turn off a lot of crap to help Windows run faster. If you can live without all the animation and pretty colors read this:

http://www.musicxp.net/

thats the link I believe I was thinking of
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 07:30:53 AM »
Buy a Mac  >:D

slayerrocker

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 08:41:57 PM »
You probably should have left the default install given the 64 bit architecture and that it is a Gateway box.  I suspect it is that you are missing the correct drivers. The Gateway site is what you need to review in order to figure out all the correct drivers and I would reinstall the MCE edition.

BTW, you can purchase a 64bit XP Pro edition that will take better advantage of the 64 bit architecture you purchased, from an OS perspective. But what apps are you running that need 64 bit? Also, Windows Vista 64 bit editions (e.g., Ultimate) will be able to leverage your architecture better than any other OS available.

Corey Gouker [MSFT] (Expert):
Q: What do you mean by windows xp 64 bit? What is the relation between 64 Bit OS and 64 bit processor? What do i need to run 64 bit OS? will 64 bit OS run my 32 bitapplications???? please xplain me everything related to this...also give me someinformativelink
A: Windows XP 64-bit will only run on a AMD or Intel 64-bit processor. So you'll need that and will need a copy of Windows XP 64-bit. You'll also need 64-bit drivers for your devices as well. Your 32-bit applications will still run on XP 64. For more information please see: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_x64faq.mspx

Offline Swampy

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 10:12:30 PM »
You probably should have left the default install given the 64 bit architecture and that it is a Gateway box.  I suspect it is that you are missing the correct drivers. The Gateway site is what you need to review in order to figure out all the correct drivers and I would reinstall the MCE edition.

BTW, you can purchase a 64bit XP Pro edition that will take better advantage of the 64 bit architecture you purchased, from an OS perspective. But what apps are you running that need 64 bit? Also, Windows Vista 64 bit editions (e.g., Ultimate) will be able to leverage your architecture better than any other OS available.

Corey Gouker [MSFT] (Expert):
Q: What do you mean by windows xp 64 bit? What is the relation between 64 Bit OS and 64 bit processor? What do i need to run 64 bit OS? will 64 bit OS run my 32 bitapplications???? please xplain me everything related to this...also give me someinformativelink
A: Windows XP 64-bit will only run on a AMD or Intel 64-bit processor. So you'll need that and will need a copy of Windows XP 64-bit. You'll also need 64-bit drivers for your devices as well. Your 32-bit applications will still run on XP 64. For more information please see: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_x64faq.mspx

Got all the drivers, installed them from the Gateway System disc...

slayerrocker

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 12:02:02 PM »
Are the drivers for XP or for MCE?  Should not be much of a difference but you never know.

Are you on XP SP2 or XP SP1?

Have you called Gateway Support? Always painful but I am interested in their advice.

Offline Swampy

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »
I got SP2. Trying to avoid Gateway until I completely have to...

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 03:00:55 AM »
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com