Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low end laptop taping?!  (Read 5726 times)

Offline kozakz

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Low end laptop taping?!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 06:10:54 AM »
I would think the UA5 should work well, FWIW I used to use a sound devices USBPre when I was laptop taping, it is a very solid and flexible little box.

UA-5 needs extra battery, it can not be powered via usb.

Offline gratefulbrad

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Denali - May 23, 2019!
    • db.etree.org/gratefulbrad
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »
I use a PDAudio CF with my Toshiba.  Seems to work well with what I do.  You can use whatever PC based recording software (I use Soundforge 9).  The UA5 has both spdif & optical outputs...so theres no problem there.  I think the PDAudio CF is like $200, which is about half the price of the VX Pocket v2.  Good luck with whatever you choose.   http://www.core-sound.com/pdaudio-cf/1.php
http://db.etree.org/gratefulbrad
https://www.rmiguides.com
https://americanalpineclub.org

Mics: JW mod AKG c460b x2
      AKG c460b x4
      AKG c480b x2
      AKG ck1x x2
      AKG ck2x x2
      AKG ck61 x5 / ck62 x3 / ck63 x2   
      AKG mk46 Active Cables x2
      Naiant PFA > AKG Actives x4
      Neumann KM100 > LC3 > AK43  

Decks: OCM Marantz PMD661
       T-Mod Tascam HD-P2
       Tascam DR680 MKii
       SD744t SSD

Pre's Etc: Grace Lunatec V3
           Core Sound MIC2496
           SD442

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 06:35:01 PM »
I use a PDAudio CF with my Toshiba.  Seems to work well with what I do.  You can use whatever PC based recording software (I use Soundforge 9).  The UA5 has both spdif & optical outputs...so. theres no problem there.  I think the PDAudio CF is like $200, which is about half the price of the VX Pocket v2.  Good luck with whatever you choose.   http://www.core-sound.com/pdaudio-cf/1.php

All good, except the above link in my post is for a vx pocket v2 in the yard sale for $100......

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 08:15:17 AM »
www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

The system requirements for the M-audio card seems very moderate!

Minimum System Requirements (PC)
Windows 98SE / Me / 2000 (SP4) / XP (SP2)*
For 96kHz operation: Pentium III 500mHz w/ 128MB RAM
For 48kHz operation: Pentium II 400mHz w/ 128MB RAM

With Roger confirming that Pentium II might be enough, I'll encourage my pal to have a go at lappy taping on the cheap!
Anyone else with success stories using low CPU/RAM specs?

I also noticed the Creative Audigy cardbus card can be picked up on Ebay for $35-45, which sounds like a usable entry level rig...
Any external USB sound cards even cheaper than that?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 02:52:26 AM »
Hi Sunjan,

A problem with many of these PC-Card and USB solutions, is the weak connectors. I have two brooken Digigram breakout cables. The breakout cable itself is bulky and after a long search, I have found some connectors so that I can make my own break out cables. The original break out cable is expensive.

I have also made some more testing to find out the noise floor of the mic input. With 30dB gain it is about 74dB (wideband) below 0dBfs. Some USB solutions are worse, like the M-Audio MobilePre USB.

One also need a suitable recording software. If the laptop is older, look for one that it can handle with ease! Soundforge 5 seems to work with a 300Mhz cpu. Now I use Soundforge 9.

I would not use a laptop for stealth recording, it is too bulky. I am using it beacause I can do the editing with it too.

Roger

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 10:03:04 AM »
A problem with many of these PC-Card and USB solutions, is the weak connectors. I have two broken Digigram breakout cables. The breakout cable itself is bulky and after a long search, I have found some connectors so that I can make my own break out cables. The original break out cable is expensive.

I have also made some more testing to find out the noise floor of the mic input. With 30dB gain it is about 74dB (wideband) below 0dBfs. Some USB solutions are worse, like the M-Audio MobilePre USB.

One also need a suitable recording software. If the laptop is older, look for one that it can handle with ease! Soundforge 5 seems to work with a 300Mhz cpu. Now I use Soundforge 9.

I would not use a laptop for stealth recording, it is too bulky. I am using it beacause I can do the editing with it too.

+T, thanks Roger, those are valid concerns that you point out. Surely, the lappy would be for open taping only!

So an external breakout box connected to the USB port should be less fragile than those PC-card type connectors, right?

I found a good primer on lappy taping here:
http://www.sonicsense.com/10myths.htm
Written by Marc at Sonicsense, it's heavily outdated, but the fundamentals are spot on...

Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 10:19:54 AM »
I recorded with a Vaio C1VN for 5 years and still use it periodically.  The C1VN has a Crusoe 600 MHZ processer with (I think) 192 MB of RAM.  These days this is obviously a very modest laptop, but (when things were working - ie - I had plenty of juice, cables plugged in and not shorting, vxpocket cable didn't break, etc) the lappy prooved to be flawless using MiniMe -> VxPocket or USB -> WaveLab @ 24/48.

Never tried 24/96 since USB out of the minime and VxPocket don't support it.  I had this lappy pretty well tweaked (including a bare-bones Win2K installation used exclusively for recording), so YMMV, but it can be done.

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 12:32:09 PM »
So an external breakout box connected to the USB port should be less fragile than those PC-card type connectors, right?1

Hi Sunjan,

Here are a couple of pictures of the Digigram soundcard and its breakout cable and connectors. The connector themselves seems to be almost impossible to get nowdays.
I will use some smaller connectors in place of the bulky XLRs. Using 5-pin connectors for stereo, one for input and one for output (the phono connectors are not needed either) would reduce the size and weight of the breakout cable.

Roger
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 12:36:40 PM by Roger Gustavsson »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com