Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Core Sound's High End Binaural (HEB) Microphone Set  (Read 5508 times)

Offline surf1div1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Core Sound's High End Binaural (HEB) Microphone Set
« on: May 16, 2008, 02:19:30 PM »
Anyone know why these MIC's Through Core (HEB) are 1/2 the warranty period then the  ones that DPA gives for the same mics (i.e. 4060?). I mean, why would I pay more for the same mic with 1/2 the warranty? Am I missing something, or is Core Sound's better then the matched ones that I can get directly from DPA (matched) for less money. I'm all for supporting a site supporter of Taperssection, but based on the service, and pricing and now the warranty that Core gives, isn't there a better source for mics then Core?
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Core Sound's High End Binaural (HEB) Microphone Set
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 02:44:52 PM »
Anyone know why these MIC's Through Core (HEB) are 1/2 the warranty period then the  ones that DPA gives for the same mics (i.e. 4060?). I mean, why would I pay more for the same mic with 1/2 the warranty? Am I missing something, or is Core Sound's better then the matched ones that I can get directly from DPA (matched) for less money. I'm all for supporting a site supporter of Taperssection, but based on the service, and pricing and now the warranty that Core gives, isn't there a better source for mics then Core?

You have a DPA source that sells 4060's matched? 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 02:57:46 PM »
DPA in Denver will match them for a reasonable fee, if you ask for it.

Buying them as HEB's from Core Sounds you're also getting the Core battery box and the mic cables re-terminated from the standard DPA micro-dot to whatever the batt box input is (mini-XLR I think).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »

That is great!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:16:42 PM »

That is great!
as well, if you buy the smk 4060, they come matched.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 04:33:30 PM »

That is great!
as well, if you buy the smk 4060, they come matched.

The SMK is only available with 4061's unless they've changed something since I checked.  I tried to get them to substitute 4060's a couple years back when they first introduced the stereo kit, but they wouldn't do it as the kit comes matched from Denmark.  They match individual pairs of miniatures here in the US AFAIK.

[edit- It appears they do offer a SMK4060 kit now with matched 4060's.]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 09:18:36 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 08:41:19 AM »
surf1div1 wrote:

Anyone know why these MIC's Through Core (HEB) are 1/2 the warranty period then the  ones that DPA gives for the same mics (i.e. 4060?).

This is incorrect: Core Sound provides the full DPA warranty on the microphones themselves, and a one year limited parts and labor warranty on the battery box and cabling.  We'll correct the Web page.  Thanks for calling this to our attention.

We match to within 1 dB in frequency and sensitivity.  While the DPA factory in Denmark can match as we do in frequency and sensitivity, to my knowledge DPA in Colorado can't.

DPA's battery box uses electrolytic capacitors and diode voltage clamps -- both potentially add distortion.  Our battery box uses metallized film capacitors and no clamping diodes, eliminating those potentially troublesome components.  The DPA box is plastic and our's is cast aluminum -- much more rugged.  The DPA uses 1/8-inch mini-jacks while ours uses a locking mini-XLR.  We also offer a switchable bass roll-off filter as an option (with a locking toggle switch), while DPA does not.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 09:06:26 AM by Len Moskowitz (Core Sound) »
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 09:53:19 AM »

afaik, dpa does not offer a battery box with a mini (1/8") input. 

I was referring to the output of the 6030.

Thanks for the info on the other battery boxes -- I'd forgotten them.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 11:42:20 AM »
i don't follow what the output of the mps6030 has to do with anything since the mps6030 has a single 1/8" mini output; the same connector you offer on your heb battery box[/url]. 

This is incorrect.  Our HEB battery box has only a single locking mini-XLR jack that has both input and output signals on it.  The output from our HEBs is a single 1/8" stereo miniplug (from Switchcraft -- the highest quality connector available), not a jack; it's at the end of a cable, not on the battery box.  And we use it only because lots of mass market recorders use 1/8" for their mic inputs. 

In general, the 1/8" miniplug/minijack is a crappy and unreliable connector -- that's why, given the choice, the pros use XLR, mini-XLR, Neutrik, Hirose, BNC, TNC or just about anything but 1/8".

...could it be you "forgot" about the other boxes because they just so happen to be in direct competition to your "heb" package?

If you'd like to provoke a fight, you won't get one from me. 

DPA makes the finest miniature microphones in the world, bar none -- that's why we use them in our HEBs. 

Some of their other products are not the best in the world, and though they're quite fine, sometimes they can be improved on in both function and price.  When we can do it (and it's not often, simply because the folks at DPA are excellent engineers), we do.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com