Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: creating a mix of two recordings, help and opinions needed  (Read 1136 times)

Offline twoheadedboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
creating a mix of two recordings, help and opinions needed
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
Some would call this a matrix...either way.

Here's what I have:

Source #1 - mp3 soundboard. Generic stereo mix. Weak bass and no balls, clear and up-front vocals.
Source #2 - my audience tape. GREAT stereo/binaural mix. Great bass definition. Low vocals. Signal above 16khz as it was not recorded in a lossy format.

That sums up the audio quality, but there's a couple of other issues:

-Source #1 has 3 songs missing, and one other is sub-optimal due to it being unamplified and off the stage ("The Fool"). It also has audience banter/setup time cut at unknown times in unknown lengths.
-Source #2 has very poor quality on 2 songs (one being the same one that is sub-optimal on source #1, "The Fool", the other is one of the missing songs from source #1, "Engine") due to them being unamplified and performed at the back of the floor (tape was made 2nd row center GA).

I should add that a 3rd source exists, but is not available in full yet. What is available are the 3 missing songs from source #1. "Engine" is fantastic quality here, but since "The Fool" was on source #1, even though in sub-optimal quality, it was not made available at the time it was released. And these are in mp3 format as well. Supposedly this will come out shortly in lossless for the whole show but I haven't heard from this taper in a while...

So that's what we've got. To the best of my determination, the only way to go with this is to do the following:

1. Mix sources 1 and 2 when audio is available from both sources for a song. Mixing in source 3 will not be necessary.
2. "The Fool" and "Engine" will be source #3 alone, source #1 will be scrapped altogether for this one.
3. The other two songs missing from source #1 will be a mix of sources 2 and 3.
4. No attempt to maintain the whole show in continuous form will be made, it will just be a compilation of songs. The whole show was over 3 hours in length! The mix and overall volume coming from the stage varied on each song as well, as there was a rotating cast of approx 15 people with a different subset involved on each song.

Now with that in mind, and without further adieu, I present a link to two test mixes I made: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7SEODLQK

Included in the .zip is sources #1 and #2 and the mixdown I made for two separate songs.

Your opinions and suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com