Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Large Diaphragm mic positions?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline princecaspian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Large Diaphragm mic positions?
« on: August 23, 2009, 07:02:36 PM »
How would you set up 2 Large Diaphragm mics in a concert taping situation?

Do you use the same positions as you would with a small diaphragm i.e. ORTF, NOS, XY, etc.

Thanks,

Matt

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
Re: Large Diaphragm mic positions?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:57:41 PM »
are you talking about multi pattern mics?
if so, yes you would...
but you might try various setups to see which you prefer
I ran AKG 414s for 3 years and tried alot of different things
for Cardiod I liked DIN (20 cm @ 90 degrees)
never really liked ORTF (17 cm @ 110 degrees) indoors for cardiod and outdoors I ran Subcardiod
for Subcardiod I liked NOS (30 cm @ 90 degrees)
for Hyper I liked DINa (17 cm @ 90 degrees)
I really liked the Figure 8 running Blumlein (0 cm @ 90 degrees)
but you need to have a quiet crowd and be fairly close
there are people here that like Omnis (wide spaced or Jecklin disc)
I personally don't like to use Omnis

but like I said... try different things and have fun!

Offline princecaspian

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:59:32 PM »
Yeah, maybe something like a Neumann TLM 170 R [   http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_microphones&cid=tlm170_description    ]

Would setting them up just facing the stage (AB pattern?) be sacrilege/ineffective?

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:06:17 PM »
Yeah, maybe something like a Neumann TLM 170 R [   http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_microphones&cid=tlm170_reports    ]
Would setting them up just facing the stage (AB pattern?) be sacrilege/ineffective?

depending on the pattern and how far away you are that would WORK
but you may like to put some angle between the caps
no 1 configuration works for all situations... try different stuff and see what YOU like best
I'm sure someone else will mention the Stereophonic Zoom
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,119057.0.html
read that and see what you think as well

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 08:38:47 PM »
Yeah, maybe something like a Neumann TLM 170 R [   http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_microphones&cid=tlm170_reports    ]

depending on the pattern and how far away you are that would WORK
but you may like to put some angle between the caps
no 1 configuration works for all situations... try different stuff and see what YOU like best
I'm sure someone else will mention the Stereophonic Zoom
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,119057.0.html
read that and see what you think as well

Good call on stereophonic zoom, Mike.

With AB set up you may not get the stereo separation you'd like.  But as Mike says, your ears are the boss.  He's also entirely correct when he says it depends on the situation, and that you've got the same options with LDs as with SDs.

Unlike Mike, I LOVE running omni LDs, indoors or out, whenever I can get away with it.   ;D
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline chrisnubar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:41:30 PM »
almost straight ahead, seperated if possible, and the closer to the stage the better, like the fifth row. but that's not really possible. they will get whaled unless you have a bodyguard.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 06:56:14 PM by chrisnubar »
Beyer M160 Ribbon Mics
Minifon P-55 Wire Recorder

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 06:45:27 PM »
I always liked my C414B-ULS and -XLS coincident, with included angles appropriate to the situation.  Never t particularly cared for near-coincident or split, unless it was split omnis on-stage.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 10:18:12 PM »
The basic Stereo Zoom technique is using less angle between mics when either the distance between them is larger or when choosing a more directional pattern.  Conversely you'd use more angle the closer together they are or the less directional the pattern.   There are various reasons to choose different combinations along that continuum.  That's the general approach regardless of mic type. 

Of course, the particularities of the mics and personal preference are more important.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 08:01:49 AM »
I always liked my C414B-ULS and -XLS coincident, with included angles appropriate to the situation.  Never t particularly cared for near-coincident or split, unless it was split omnis on-stage.

I've heard similar sentiments from at least one other person. I wonder what makes those specifically (more) palatable in coincident configurations?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 08:17:02 AM »
Prof. Williams' charts ("Stereophonic Zoom," etc.) are based on the assumption that the polar pattern of the microphones is consistent throughout the frequency range. That assumption is generally not true for large-diaphragm microphones, unfortunately. Partly that's due to their size (the microphone disturbs the sound field beginning in the upper midrange) and partly that's due to the fact that nearly all large-diaphragm microphones use dual-diaphragm capsules.

One person in this thread mentioned Blumlein--that's perhaps the best case among the well-known setups that have catchy names, in that a figure-8 pattern can still be reasonably well maintained across a reasonable part of the range. On the other hand the constraints of setup geometry still apply; Blumlein can only capture a relatively narrow physical stage width, which often would mean that you'd have to place it pretty far away from the sound sources, and then you'd be picking up too much room sound relative to the direct sound. Blumlein is ideal on paper, and occasionally in the real world as well--but unfortunately only occasionally.

The A/B approach may actually have more to recommend it than the usual coincident or closely-spaced approaches that work well with small, single-diaphragm microphones, but be prepared for some trial and error ...

--best regards
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:19:51 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:29:10 PM »
I'm just moving on from u89i's, but I agree completely with Brian's post above.  With the u89's, I didn't think they sounded nearly as good (as other configs) in the DIN, DIN, or ORTF configurations.  I'm not sure why, they just didn't.  In XY, they sounded alot better indoors using the directional mic patterns.  However, my favorite and the best sounding patterns were mid-side at the stage lip either indoor or outdoor, blumlein from DFC to FOB outdoors (easily the best sounding), and split omni from DFC outdoor.  When splitting omni's, the mics needed to be at least 3 feet apart before they started sounding best.  I'm not sure why the dynamic interaction between the mics is such that putting them side-by-side doesn't sound as good as the other configurations, but the proof is in the pudding as they say...it's just a fact that's how it is.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com