Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone upgrade from HD280...?  (Read 11901 times)

Offline PeteJE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Headphone upgrade from HD280...?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
I love the Sony MDR 7506 - price is lower, but don't let that sway you, these translate great and accurately for me.

thats what i thought until i got the ATm5os!!

I will have to check those out.  Thanks!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 07:27:05 PM »
You may also consider the at-am700 open style headphones. I believe that is the correct model, but I'll check later.

I don't own them but I have read many positive reviews of them.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 08:31:29 AM »
The cable is heavy gauge coiled cable with a nice beefy jack with a spring strain relief. 

Just wanted to add that there is also an AT-M50s version with a straight cable.

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 05:29:06 AM »
Ha ha!!

you're all wrong!!

THIS is what you want!!
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 05:38:06 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded on this thread, it gave me a good baseline to make some decisions on my own head gear.  I just picked up the BeyerDynamic DT-880-PRO version(250 ohm), so far they sound excellent. Spent about 1.5 hours listening to them at the shop. Got 'em home for $221, I made Guitar Center price match B&H.... :) Time to break these suckers in!

J
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 05:36:17 AM »
I love the Sony MDR 7506 - price is lower, but don't let that sway you, these translate great and accurately for me.

For 15 years or so I've used Sennheiser 580's (now kaput), 600's & 650's for home use and I love them. Also for 15 years or so I've been using Etymotics for noise canceling (ER-4P and HF5).

However 15-20 years ago I used the MDR-7506's predecessor, the  MDR-V6 both for home use and when I wanted to reduce noise. I loved them and thought they sounded great. I've read great customer reviews of the MDR-7506 and you can pick up a new pair for next to nothing on E-Bay (under $50 shipped). They seem to be used for mastering quite a bit. I bet they'd still sound great to me and I'm sure there's loads and loads of much more expensive phones that don't sound as good.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »
The 7506's and V6's are the same headphone.  Just made for marketing towards different crowds (professional use vs. consumer use) and the 7506 has a gold plated plug. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
The 7506's and V6's are the same headphone.  Just made for marketing towards different crowds (professional use vs. consumer use) and the 7506 has a gold plated plug.

The V6's also have a bit wider frequency response. 5–30,000 Hz on the V6 vs. 10–20,000 Hz on the 7506's.
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »
^^
That may be nothing more than marketing differences targeting different groups, if there is no tollerance stated for the measurements.

The smaller range stated for the professional crowd may be the same driver measured to a tigher tollerance.  Most consumers have no concept of meaurement tollerance so if they see a larger range of frequency numbers stated, they simply take that to mean 'better'.  Even though the response may be nothing close to flat and WAY down at those extremes, the driver is still producing measureable sound, so technically it's truthful.

I still have a 25 year old pair of Sony V6.  Haven't used them in the last 15 or so since the pads disentigrated.  They were good cans I'd have no problem recommending in general, even though I can't say how they'd compare at this point.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline George

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »

The V6's also have a bit wider frequency response. 5–30,000 Hz on the V6 vs. 10–20,000 Hz on the 7506's.

Like gutbucket said, its just marketing crap.  Go on head-fi and look it up, there was a big thread where people who own both stated they sound exactly the same.  They look exactly the same as well. 

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline George

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 03:46:42 PM »
^^
That may be nothing more than marketing differences targeting different groups, if there is no tollerance stated for the measurements.

The smaller range stated for the professional crowd may be the same driver measured to a tigher tollerance.  Most consumers have no concept of meaurement tollerance so if they see a larger range of frequency numbers stated, they simply take that to mean 'better'.  Even though the response may be nothing close to flat and WAY down at those extremes, the driver is still producing measureable sound, so technically it's truthful.

I still have a 25 year old pair of Sony V6.  Haven't used them in the last 15 or so since the pads disentigrated.  They were good cans I'd have no problem recommending in general, even though I can't say how they'd compare at this point.

The velour pads from the beyerdynamic dt250's fit them perfectly.   ;)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »
The velour pads from the beyerdynamic dt250's fit them perfectly.   ;)

That's good to know, thanks!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »

Like gutbucket said, its just marketing crap.  Go on head-fi and look it up, there was a big thread where people who own both stated they sound exactly the same.  They look exactly the same as well.

Yeah for sure. I was just quoting the stated specs. I didn't make any claim it made them better or sound different.  Who knows, maybe it applies to someone studying ultrasonic bat calls, or a 6Hz whale fart.  ;D (although not likely)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
you gonna up that whale fart recording somewhere?  :)

stevetoney

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 06:44:40 AM »
you gonna up that whale fart recording somewhere?  :)

I'm also interested, but not without photos.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com