Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need Help: FCP-X, Duel Eyes, 5D MKII, SD744T  (Read 4074 times)

Offline JoeRay

• Joe Ray Skrha, Attorney at Law
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Need Help: FCP-X, Duel Eyes, 5D MKII, SD744T
« on: September 25, 2011, 06:09:39 PM »
     This past week I started to master several live performances I shot on a train of Dave Alvin, Peter Case, Chris Smithers etc.  I shot it with my Canon 5D MKII which limited my video clips to 12 min or less.  I embedded audience audio into the video that was recorded next to the camera with my Schoeps MK4 mics and NBOX with -20db attenuation.  I made a separate recording off the soundboard at 24bit 96 with my SD 744T. Because of the noise on the train, I would like to use the audio of the board for 80% of the audio but I'd like to mix in a little of the audience sound in the final product.  As for post production, I'm using a Mac Pro, Final Cut Pro X and Duel Eyes to join the soundboard audio to the video. 
       I'd like to mix the two audio feeds prior to syncing in Duel Eyes.  Can anyone give me an idea how best to do this?   Assuming I strip the audio off the video clips, what can I use to sync and mix the audience audio from the video to the soundboard audio?  I still have Soundtrack Pro from final Cut Pro Studio 7...  I appreciate any recommendations.  Sincerely,  Joe Ray  at: joeray@alaska.net
Joe Ray Skrha
Videographer-Songwriter-FlyFisherman
Attorney at Law
110 North Willow St; Suite 137
Kenai, AK 99611
907-283-7100 office
907-283-6100 fax
907-398-1800 cell
joeray@alaska.net

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Need Help: FCP-X, Duel Eyes, 5D MKII, SD744T
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »
     This past week I started to master several live performances I shot on a train of Dave Alvin, Peter Case, Chris Smithers etc.  I shot it with my Canon 5D MKII which limited my video clips to 12 min or less.  I embedded audience audio into the video that was recorded next to the camera with my Schoeps MK4 mics and NBOX with -20db attenuation.  I made a separate recording off the soundboard at 24bit 96 with my SD 744T. Because of the noise on the train, I would like to use the audio of the board for 80% of the audio but I'd like to mix in a little of the audience sound in the final product.  As for post production, I'm using a Mac Pro, Final Cut Pro X and Duel Eyes to join the soundboard audio to the video. 
       I'd like to mix the two audio feeds prior to syncing in Duel Eyes.  Can anyone give me an idea how best to do this?   Assuming I strip the audio off the video clips, what can I use to sync and mix the audience audio from the video to the soundboard audio?  I still have Soundtrack Pro from final Cut Pro Studio 7...  I appreciate any recommendations.  Sincerely,  Joe Ray  at: joeray@alaska.net

You can let Dual Eyes sync the audio as is, then bring that into SoundTrack to "mixing" how heavy you want each source.  Then take that mixed audio into Dual Eyes.  In my experience, chopping the audio up into smaller piece gives better results.  You are dealing with all digital sources, so things will be fairly close, so maybe do chunks of 6 mins or so.  I've had some analog sourced audio and video and had to use chunks as small as 90 seconds.

Good luck.  I don't know how that will work with FCPX.  I dabbled in it, but frankly it was so different that I ran for the cover of FCP7 and my security blanket.  I'll try it again when I have more time.  And maybe you should even try the native syncing built it, before trying DE.

Offline JoeRay

• Joe Ray Skrha, Attorney at Law
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 05:26:33 AM »
Thanks for your comments...  I did have a great epiphany today...  i have loosing most attempts to sync when I discovered Dual Eyes does not work well when you use two different hard drives.  I have 4 stat drives in my Mac Pro.  When I put the to be sync'd video and audio in the same drive as my operating system, everything seems to work perfectly well.  I hope this is a help to all future users... Peace,  Joe Ray
Joe Ray Skrha
Videographer-Songwriter-FlyFisherman
Attorney at Law
110 North Willow St; Suite 137
Kenai, AK 99611
907-283-7100 office
907-283-6100 fax
907-398-1800 cell
joeray@alaska.net

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 08:58:43 AM »
In my experience, chopping the audio up into smaller piece gives better results.  You are dealing with all digital sources, so things will be fairly close, so maybe do chunks of 6 mins or so.  I've had some analog sourced audio and video and had to use chunks as small as 90 seconds.

Wow, so dual eyes doesn't even segment the audio into small chunks to fix the timining?  That seems like a basic requirement.   My clocks skew all over the place.

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 03:03:29 PM »
Was this from that 4 day train thing that Dave does each year? (Songwriter workshop?)

Would love to see ANYTHING from that, as I would love to go one year.

Love DA! (I've shot him twice)
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline keytohwy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:13:47 PM »
Thanks for your comments...  I did have a great epiphany today...  i have loosing most attempts to sync when I discovered Dual Eyes does not work well when you use two different hard drives.  I have 4 stat drives in my Mac Pro.  When I put the to be sync'd video and audio in the same drive as my operating system, everything seems to work perfectly well.  I hope this is a help to all future users... Peace,  Joe Ray

Wow, I use multiple drives as well, sometimes.  I'll have to put everything into one folder before trying. 

Also, were these HDD, or any SSDs?  I'd like to try it on an SSD to see how the speed is.

Offline keytohwy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 05:14:48 PM »
In my experience, chopping the audio up into smaller piece gives better results.  You are dealing with all digital sources, so things will be fairly close, so maybe do chunks of 6 mins or so.  I've had some analog sourced audio and video and had to use chunks as small as 90 seconds.

Wow, so dual eyes doesn't even segment the audio into small chunks to fix the timining?  That seems like a basic requirement.   My clocks skew all over the place.

I don't know.  It may, in the background for all I know.  But some of my sources were cassette auds and video auds from the 80's.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com