Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBD Recording (Adobe Audition 1.0)  (Read 1547 times)

JasonGreen

• Trade Count: (0)
SBD Recording (Adobe Audition 1.0)
« on: March 12, 2004, 10:57:15 PM »
Lately I've been recording myself when I play shows using a SBD.  I've been running into a problem.  As you notice from the picture below, some parts are very quiet and some are very loud.  I can't raise the dB up louder than the loudest part or I'll get clipping, but how can I bring up the quiet parts?  Maybe use a compressor when recording?  I'm not sure how to set the SBD (as I run my own sound, or friends do it), but I've heard some SBD recordings that tapers have done and the results (quiet parts vs loud parts) are CD quality.  I find mine to be less than par.  Even when I raise the loudest part up to its fullest, the quiet parts aren't loud enough.  I run a Mackie 808M Powered Mixer if that helps at all.

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re:SBD Recording (Adobe Audition 1.0)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 11:19:33 PM »
are you running the out into any kind of preamp > PC? or you just running rca's > mini into your computer. check to see if your using the line, or mic input, cause if your using the mic input you have the option of i think a 20 db boost, i wouldn't use that really, cause that will introduce more noise.  The only thing i can think of is that you are either louder on that song. and then get softer, or you turn your levels down on the board, and the next song is just softer.  like when i record my shows i set it and forget it, but i do run a matrix so that a little different, but all i can say is test it at home, figure out how to get even levels the whole time, and then do that.. good luck.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 02:40:13 PM »
a sbd recording will show the dynamics(louder/softer passages) much more so than a aud recording will. your only options are to normalize(via rms) or use some slight compression + gain.

the water's clean and innocent

JasonGreen

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 05:05:27 PM »
I'm running into a Nomad Jukebox 3,  Line-In, 0 dB from the RCA line out on the master tape for the Mackie.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com