Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stuttering while editing HD multicam  (Read 15528 times)

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Stuttering while editing HD multicam
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 11:02:39 PM »
Just so i understand are you synching the HD clips (which are segmented...not continuous...and or have breaks) each into its own SD counterpart OR synching all segmented HD clips into the proper position and then making one long SD clip for each angle? If Yes, and your having trouble with playback of the HD clips, it seems that synching at that point would be problematic.

I line up all the segmented clips that make up one angle, synch them to my audio, and then encode one SD 720X480 .avi file.  When I work with just one HD angle, the stuttering isn't too bad, so I am able to do a fairly accurate job with synching.  It's when I stack up several HD angles that the stuttering gets to where I can't do my work.  Of course, there are gaps between some of the clips - but I don't worry about them.  They just shows up as black screen.  I leave the original audio intact (but muted) when mixing (although I've already deleted the audio in the project in the picture below as the mixing is complete), and since there is no video/audio in those gaps, it's easy to see them because the audio below those gaps will be a flat line.

I start the proxy file for each angle at the same point where the audio I'm going to use in the final project starts.  So if the angle doesn't kick in until 30 seconds into the show - that angle will start off with 30 seconds of black screen.  The key to this is that I don't have to worry about establishing a cue point OR worry about something accidentally sliding out of place - as every proxy angle starts at the 0:0.00 second point on the time line.  If I notice something is out of whack with the synching - it only takes a second to get it back where it's supposed to be.

After encoding a proxy file with the original segmented HD clips for one of the angles, I group the clips for each angle into a "group" so that the gaps don't accidentally get out of synch.  I then move them off to the far right of my project - on the same timeline as their corresponding proxy file.  I like to line them up starting at the 2 hour mark of the timeline (if the show I'm working on isn't longer than two hours).  This way, if I discover something out of the synch while working with the proxy files, I can easily go back to the out of synch HD clip on the right side, ungroup the clips, make the (typically minor) adjustment, and then regroup the clips.  It's easy to find which clip - because wherever it occurs on the left side - I just add two hours because the HD clips start at the 2:00.00 mark.  Of course, this results in two cuts in the proxy clip - but it's actually fairly rare and one or two cuts in the proxy clip does not make it unmanageable.

Here's a visual example of how I do it.  The 720x480 SD .avi files are on the left side and all mixing is complete.  I know the actual cue points for the HD clips on the right.  So after I delete the clips on the left side of the timeline, I will slide everything on the right side to each angle's beginning cue point, and then encode as an HD file.

Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2012, 04:31:34 AM »
Randy that is alot of effort

Store and organize all your original Hires Files to one folder

Create a set of Avi or HDV files in a 'proxy' folder with identical file structure but a slightly different root name

I used to create 720p HDV files of all my 1080i mts files, i would edit using the HDV files and then when i was done with the mix i would close SVP and then  I would rename the proxy folder and when SVP asked me where the folder went I would tell it to use the master folder and then render.    The nice part was since HDV and MTS are both mpeg streams as long as the file names are the same SVP would automatically do the substitutions for all files. 

if you can afford it just buy a decent quad core computer and you should be able to handle editing multiple mts files with only minor glitches.  I have a Lenovo Thinkpad i7-2670 with 4gb laptop and i can edit avchd 8 cams with only minor glitches, yeah i have to use preview mode but thats fine.  Computer only cost 540 and that was 6 months ago.
If you are using Sony Vegas, dont bother with more than 4 gigs or ram or a high end video card, it wont help sony vegas go any faster.
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline guitard

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »
I'm using a 2 1/2 year old HP laptop.  I thought it was the shit when I first bought it because it could actually play HD files (previous laptop couldn't play them at all - stutters or no stutters).  I'm getting a new laptop this spring, so I should be all set once I get it.

How do you do batch encodes to 720p in Vegas?

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 06:28:03 PM »

Put all the files you want to convert on a single timeline,  double click each file one at a time and hit R, once you have done them all

Tools > Scripting > Batch Render

Choose the file format you want to transcode to and where to save them

Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline guitard

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 08:41:04 PM »

Put all the files you want to convert on a single timeline,  double click each file one at a time and hit R, once you have done them all

Tools > Scripting > Batch Render

Choose the file format you want to transcode to and where to save them

Damn . . . too easy.  This is going to save me hours of encoding proxy files using my method) - not to mention it's going to make making corrections really easy.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:30:25 AM by guitard »

Offline achtungpop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 03:21:12 PM »
I've never had problems to render m2ts files until the 1080p 50fps appeared ! And I don't know it it's because it's progressive or if it's 50 fps, but then my rendering on a 2 cores PC was far to be good !
So I've bought a new computer, i7 provessor and 8 Gb ram . and guess what, it's just " a few better" !! It was not better with vegas 11, but with vegas 12 the miracle happens, I can render even in optimal quality and I can now multicam without risks of unsynchro later ! But it seems it's more due to vegas 12 than to my computer !! I've read everywhere that for 1080p 4 cores is the 1st condition ... !!!

Offline guitard

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »
But it seems it's more due to vegas 12 than to my computer !!

Funny you mention that...

I just upgraded from Vegas 9 to Vegas Pro 12 last night.  I opened an HD multi-cam project in Vegas 12 that I had created in Vegas 9 - and much to my surprise - it played very smoothly.  I dare say . . . I might even be able to now edit multi-cam HD projects without creating proxy files.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:48:59 AM by guitard »

Offline achtungpop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 09:08:54 AM »
I just upgraded from Vegas 9 to Vegas Pro 12 last night.  I opened an HD multi-cam project that I had created in Vegas - and much to my surprise - it played very smoothly.  I dare say . . . I might even be able to now edit multi-cam HD projects without creating proxy files.

nice to read ! let me know if you have sometimes problems like vegas 12 which closed for unknown problem! Due to this I have to make "save" VERY often to avoid surprises, else it's still the best Vegas ever ! I don't know if I could create an automatic save like every 30 sec, do you know where we could do that please ?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com