Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: active cables  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
active cables
« on: April 01, 2004, 04:28:43 PM »
i originally posted this in the archive section under the active cable post there, but this is probably a better spot to get help on the subject...

so i've been slacking today at work and looking at actives and such.  in my hunt to see if you could make your own...i discovered this

looking at this

the BUF634 in the middle can be used inside the feedback loop of op amps to increase output current, eliminate thermal feedback and improve capacitive load drive.  It seems like a cable with this attached going from the cap to the body would boost the cap enuf to have it be away from the body.

so you'd end up with a cable with this in the middle

which really doesn't seem like it'd be that bulky if you could make your own active cables for less than $100.

i guess what i really need to know is what is it that actives do.  they have to be more than just cable.  and it seems like if a person had enuf electrical skills they could make their own.  are there any active cable specs out on the net?  even user manuals might help that came with the cable/mics.  if i could figure out what it is they do exactly, it might be easier to figure out what i should be looking for to make my own. any specifications or schematics would be helpful too.

if its just a cable, why wouldn't any cable work...could you just have a regular cable and have them be "passive" cables.  seems like if the booster didn't introduce noise that they'd work.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline cwfen

• Taperssection Member
Re:active cables
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 05:51:50 PM »
Check the oade.com tapers section under the DIY heading. Someone had a similar question and Doug mentioned, briefly, why just cable wouldn't be enough. I think what you are onto with the amp section to boost the signal is along the lines of what Doug was saying...

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 05:57:34 PM »
yeah, thats actually what got all this going...he told the other guy that he'd need a FET cap i believe...i wonder if i asked for more info if he'd give it to me.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline cwfen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 08:13:29 PM »
Doug Oade is very helpful in the DIY realm, and even if he, personally, didn't know enough or feel comfortable telling you more, I'm sure he would be able and willing to direct you to someone or a website with more info. Just be sure to request the redirection in your post so he understands the fact that you really want some details if he can't or won't provide them himself. Doug Oade doesn't have a problem with people doing for themselves, as long as they realize that it is an AT YOUR OWN RISK situation!!! Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 01:51:24 AM »
cool, i'm gonna post over there tonight and hope for the best.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com