Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ok, What Pre Sould I Add Neumann TLM 170 > ?? > SD744  (Read 11352 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Ok, What Pre Sould I Add Neumann TLM 170 > ?? > SD744
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 10:44:12 PM »
When I really want to bring home the heat I soak my windscreens in either Tabasco or Siracha over night before a show. Sometimes I soak the cables as well.

That explains so much... I thought I recognized that smell.  :o

If so, then I'd be going for a preamp that leans warm, like maybe a Portico 5012.

That was the theory I was headed for, you have a clean and clear solution, and then something that is as far away from that as possible so you have choices. The only other thing might be a 148 (but I'd probably get the Neve first just for the Silk options alone).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 10:34:11 PM »
Yea I think ive actually heard a 170>Neve[Silk ON] and it was heavenly. Im sure its on archive and I even think it was moe, so check it out marcus ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline flarcus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 12:30:21 AM »
i saw the portico and sent a pm, but is it portable?  didn't seem like it

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 08:15:59 AM »

If you have a fork lift  ;D
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »

At first glance, they don't appear to be portable because they come standard with rack mount ears, but they can be powered from batteries or a wall wart.  I've never owned one, but I think they're a little bigger than a V3.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »

Portable is definitely a relative term
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 10:49:25 AM »
I generally lean clean, but I'm currious to hear what a Neve portico would do in my chains, since of the 'preamps with color' that's one that piques my interest.  I probably won't though simply because of practicalites (size, weight, extra battery, additional potential points of failure with more connections).. and if I really dug it I'd need to rethink things to accomodate all that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 10:54:40 AM »

Portable is definitely a relative term

kangfirmed

A cart or other rolling apparatus goes a long way, but I wouldn't know anything about that...

In the case of the portico, they don't call it "big iron" for nothing.

I generally lean clean, but I'm currious to hear what a Neve portico would do in my chains, since of the 'preamps with color' that's one that piques my interest.  I probably won't though simply because of practicalites (size, weight, extra battery, additional potential points of failure with more connections).. and if I really dug it I'd need to rethink things to accomodate all that.

Ditto. It's a specialty piece of gear IMHO, not something I'd want to use all the time, and I'd want to be very familiar with the sound to know when to use it and when not to. I have heard some impressive results with it though, and I suspect the silk mode on stage to temper some of those super clear transients would be really attractive...
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 11:49:17 AM »
OK i have a portico, and havent used it yet in the field?!  :facepalm:  Ive just been running my Telefunken rig exclusively...I bought it thinking i was going to build another rig and i am at some point.  I dont know if the one in the yardsale has the milled off rack ears but that is what i did to mine in this pic. yes its big but it is much more magable with the ears gone. Also i have this rakgear backpack for it and it fits great in there.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:50:52 AM by jazzgtrl4 »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »
actually, now that I think about it, sticking the portico (set to minimum gain) in front of my playback stereo equipment would be a hell of a coloration option...  :hmmm: :guitarist:

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 07:01:42 PM »
I ran a Portico for a little bit, it's heavy yes but the real issue is the depth. The sound is worth it though, with or without silk. When I ran mine I had a Battery Geek portable power pack that ran it for at least 5 hours. If I had the cash I'd grab the one in the YS & make it fit.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com