Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rega Planar 3  (Read 2447 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Rega Planar 3
« on: November 14, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
Well, over the past year a friend of mine has been wanting to get a replacement turntable for his ailing B&O. He did not want to spend more than $500.00 and in reality, it seemed that he wanted to spend much less than that. He looked at a few of the usual sub 500 tables that were new. Knowing that he could get a much better table used for the same amount of money I gave him a number of leads over the year, however, his follow up often came up short, as the table would be sold by the time he inquired.

Having enough of this hit and miss led me to do the work for him. So, when a Rega Plannar 3 came up for sale for $330, I grabbed it for him. It was sans cartridge, but I had a first generation AT PM7000 that I could throw on it for him. In a few short days the table arrived and it was in very good shape for its vintage. The plinth was clean; arm was without issues, bearings smooth and motor steady and quiet. I cleaned and re-lubed the table for him and did a repair on the hinges of the dust cover, as well as buffed it out with car lens cleaner. (This is an essential trick for anyone who has a scratched up dust cover and can, in some case, remove all but deep scratches.

After mounting the cartridge and tweaking the table a bit, e.g., O rings on the counter weight and a vinyl platter mat. I gave it a listen. Yep, it sounded good and everything seemed to be operating as it should. His total cost ended up under $450.00. He received it last night and immediately engaged in a vinyl revival, much to his satisfaction. I directed him to TANGOSpinner, as an excellent resource for aftermarket upgrades, recommending the sub platter and pulley as a good place to start. He was also advised to consider replacing the inferior interconnect cable, as this is a pre-Klotz example of the P3. However, I suggested that he enjoy the table as it is and look down the road for sound improvements.

Anyway, here are a few shots of the cleaned up table, as received by my friend.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 03:00:06 PM by raymonda »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Rega Planar 3
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 01:04:01 PM »
I have had great luck with Rega tables.  Went from a P1 to a Thorens TD165 and currently own a P3-24 with a Benz cart.  Honestly, my vinyl rig beats my digital setup every time.

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »
The older Planar 3 was my first really good TT.  What you got your friend is a genuine giant killer.  He's lucky to have such a good friend.  +T.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »
Killer deal!  I had a Planar 3 and sold it like a dope several years back.  I wound up buying a RP1 this year and it sounds glorious.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 12:24:23 AM »
Wow,  how very fucking nice of you.  Can I be your friend?

My "friends"  suck
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 03:30:06 AM »
Next time you find a P3 for $330...hit me up ASAP!

That is a hell of a deal.

99% of people don't need anything better than that.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com