Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser AMBEO SMART HEADSET  (Read 38023 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sennheiser AMBEO SMART HEADSET
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2021, 12:23:40 PM »
OK! I tried this time. Was in the sweet spot. Wore the mics in my ears. Other than the crowd being fairly rowdy for being pretty old...the recording turned out decent.

I wouldn't be satisfied if all of my recordings were of this quality but for shows that I'd like a copy without having to jump through too many hoops for a stealth job they are pretty good.

Here's a sample. I have applied a bit of EQ (the master is pretty boomy), and a tad bit of compression.

https://soundcloud.com/fatah-ruark/bob-dylan-simple-twist-of-fate-live

EDIT:
Full show audio here. I did add a bit more EQ and Compression to this version (feel free to let me know which one you like more):
https://youtu.be/X3sHVgTBhOQ

Yeah, the full show audio sounds better to me, good job, got a black pair coming from Santa  ;D
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2021, 12:46:40 PM »
I just bought a second Ambeo headset, a black one which will be less obvious in use.  I got it from this Amazon seller (with whom I have no connection) -

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-AMBEO-Smart-Headset-Ear/dp/B08F72P94X - about $65 - seems fine even at that price.

Thanks Santa's got one on the way.  :djsmilie:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2021, 02:48:46 PM »
At $65 this should be in everyone's kit that owns an iPhone or iPod Touch.

They certainly do not make the absolute best recordings, but certainly pull an acceptable recording when security is tight, or you don't want to put much effort in for whatever reason.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2021, 05:25:52 PM »

They certainly do not make the absolute best recordings, but certainly pull an acceptable recording when security is tight, or you don't want to put much effort in for whatever reason.

And remember, with a suitable adapter they can work on Android devices too - but not all, for some reason.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2021, 05:48:13 PM »
I just ordered a second pair in black.I already have the white ones.

Still i have never recorded a show with them.Seems like you'd draw more attention wearing earbuds during a show unless you have long hair.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2021, 06:29:27 PM »

And remember, with a suitable adapter they can work on Android devices too - but not all, for some reason.

I tried this. Didn't work very well. It was for the Rolling Stones so medium loud show. Recording was overloaded. Might work for an acoustic show though. I ended up buying a iPod Touch. I find that it's nice to have the iPod Touch as a recorder so I can still use my cell phone independently during the show if needed.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2021, 09:51:45 AM »

I tried this. Didn't work very well. It was for the Rolling Stones so medium loud show. Recording was overloaded. Might work for an acoustic show though. I ended up buying a iPod Touch. I find that it's nice to have the iPod Touch as a recorder so I can still use my cell phone independently during the show if needed.

You mean recording on an Android device?   I haven't tried it at a loud show, but I have found that it's necessary to use the toggle on the control to set the level to low if necessary, and also there seems to be different virtual inputs on my phone, which operate at different levels.  In the "Field Recorder" app there is provision to choose the virtual input, and the recording level varies significantly according to which one you select.  All a matter of experimenting at home before going to a concert.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2021, 11:33:59 AM »
Finally got a chance to try these things at a couple of real shows. Setting audio levels

I ran Ambeo Headset > iPod Touch 32GB > Apogee Metarecorder.

EDIT: Had a hard time getting the files transferred. I had to use iTunes, which I had thought was discontinued.

CopyTrans suite can copy files for free (copy trans Apps module)
also sandisk flash usb drives can copy them directly from iphone

like most omnis, they sound better when baffled by your head or some distance (or binaural like these are meant to be used)

Care to ellaborate on this.....

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2021, 12:51:06 PM »

You mean recording on an Android device?   I haven't tried it at a loud show, but I have found that it's necessary to use the toggle on the control to set the level to low if necessary, and also there seems to be different virtual inputs on my phone, which operate at different levels.  In the "Field Recorder" app there is provision to choose the virtual input, and the recording level varies significantly according to which one you select.  All a matter of experimenting at home before going to a concert.

Yes Rolling Stones was with my Android phone and the setting was at low. Recording is distorted. Not horribly bad, but bad enough that I wouldn't listen to it.

When I switched to the iPod Touch everything was fine.

Maybe there is a way to get these to work with Android. That would be great to figure out. I haven't had any issues putting my phone/iPod and the Sennheiser's in the bin at security, but one less item would be a nice option.

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2021, 03:12:57 PM »

The very first show I recorded was the Rolling Stones, first night Hartford '81. I was in high school and didn't know anything, I used my fathers micro recorder, a dictaphone I think, he was a lawyer and it's what he used to take notes. The tape is long gone, I wouldn't record full songs, just start at the beginning of songs and announce them like a DJ, let it record a bit then stop. It did help me remember set lists and stuff like that.
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2021, 07:23:32 AM »

[/quote]

Yes Rolling Stones was with my Android phone and the setting was at low. Recording is distorted. Not horribly bad, but bad enough that I wouldn't listen to it.

When I switched to the iPod Touch everything was fine.

Maybe there is a way to get these to work with Android. That would be great to figure out. I haven't had any issues putting my phone/iPod and the Sennheiser's in the bin at security, but one less item would be a nice option.
[/quote]

It does seem to be hightly dependent on the particular Android device.  I have a Mi 9T which only seems to record the Ambero in mono, regardless of the app.  I have a Poco F1 which reoords in stereo but at radically different levels according to the input you select - if the app you use supports that function.  So - YMMV and clearly has!

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2022, 09:08:34 AM »
Just a heads up for those in Europe:
My Ambeo Smart Headset's cords are cracking and I checked Amazon.de for the price of a new set.
I was excited to see that it is only €35 EUR (list €299).
While not worth the list price, €35 is an amazing bargain.
https://smile.amazon.de/-/en/Sennheiser-Ambeo-Smart-Headset-White/dp/B073TTRB9F/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2PWHYJDE45V32&keywords=sennheiser+ambeo+headset&qid=1660827565&sprefix=sennheiser%2520ambeo%2520headset%2Caps%2C192&sr=8-3

I opted for the the black version for €11 more, as it is a bit more stealth.
https://smile.amazon.de/-/en/Sennheiser-AMBEO-Omnidirectional-Smart-Headset/dp/B07922P4DQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2PWHYJDE45V32&keywords=sennheiser+ambeo+headset&qid=1660827565&sprefix=sennheiser%2520ambeo%2520headset%2Caps%2C192&sr=8-4

If you have an iPhone, this is the easiest setup to get into a venue. Just saying.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2022, 06:23:23 PM »
Thanks for that info - despite owning a black one and a white one, I can barely resist the bargain even though I don't need it!

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2022, 07:51:07 PM »
Thank you.
Ordered a black one to complement my white.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 06:21:02 AM by justme »

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2022, 04:35:27 PM »
I've ordered just another white one plus a set of foam rubber earpieces as I've never been really happy with the original silicon ones. I'll report as soon as I've tried them.

Stay tuned...

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.231 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com