Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New AT853 mounts  (Read 3815 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
New AT853 mounts
« on: November 02, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »
I had a couple ideas and Scott (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/srsrecordingservices) came through.  Here are a couple quick pictures of the mounts (sorry for the crappy image quality).  As for how they'll be used...well, just use your imagination  >:D
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
Re: New AT853 mounts
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:32:30 PM »
Turn the clips around the other way so the capsule is overhanging the clip, and you've got boundary mics to sit on a stage lip.  The mounts with 4 holes imply they'll be screwed down to a surface.  The other ones wil the slots might be putting velcro straps through and attaching to a rail of some sort.  Without fastening them down they'd tip over which is why I suspect you have them this way for the picture.  You wouldn't really want to orient them that way as the clip base would cause an early reflection point right in front of the capsule.

EDIT: Seeing your other thread asking about stage lip setups, can I assume my theory is correct?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:43:36 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline heathen

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:22:57 PM »
Turn the clips around the other way so the capsule is overhanging the clip, and you've got boundary mics to sit on a stage lip.  The mounts with 4 holes imply they'll be screwed down to a surface.  The other ones wil the slots might be putting velcro straps through and attaching to a rail of some sort.  Without fastening them down they'd tip over which is why I suspect you have them this way for the picture.  You wouldn't really want to orient them that way as the clip base would cause an early reflection point right in front of the capsule.

EDIT: Seeing your other thread asking about stage lip setups, can I assume my theory is correct?
I didn't have stage lip in mind for these.  I also wasn't thinking of using screws.  I've got some ideas about using these incorporated into a backpack and/or jacket.  That said, you raise some interesting ideas I hadn't considered!
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 09:39:14 AM »

I didn't have stage lip in mind for these.  I also wasn't thinking of using screws.  I've got some ideas about using these incorporated into a backpack and/or jacket.  That said, you raise some interesting ideas I hadn't considered!

Now I have some ideas >:D
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »
Bumping this because Ted just helped me procure some 853's! Anyone ever try this mount? I'm trying to figure out a good way to get a stable stereo image in a stealth rig. I'm not sure this will work but it's kind of promising.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/S5XVPFVUX/ortf-at853?optionId=61587324

ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline heathen

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 07:56:43 PM »
Bumping this because Ted just helped me procure some 853's! Anyone ever try this mount? I'm trying to figure out a good way to get a stable stereo image in a stealth rig. I'm not sure this will work but it's kind of promising.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/S5XVPFVUX/ortf-at853?optionId=61587324

I have that one.  What do you want to know?

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 05:10:18 AM »
You've been happy with it overall? Do you think it would fit in a hat for a stealth rig? Get a good stereo image with it I assume? Anything I should be aware of?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 06:23:53 AM »
I just wanted to chime in and say that Scott / SRS Recording makes great products and has outstanding customer service.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline heathen

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 08:39:27 AM »
You've been happy with it overall? Do you think it would fit in a hat for a stealth rig? Get a good stereo image with it I assume? Anything I should be aware of?

Yes I've been happy with it.  For low profile applications I'd like it better if the mic clips pointed out rather than straight up, but that's just theory because I haven't stealthed with this mount.  Stereo image is what it is...if ORTF is right for the particular situation, this mount will get you there.

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 08:42:23 AM »
Thanks. Is anyone aware of something that is perfectly suited for stealthing? I may have to get a 3D printer to work out something custom. It would be great to be able to stuff into a hat.

mcfoster

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »
This thread has made me wonder if someone is eventually going to 3D print a stealthy hat?? Like a baseball cap with clips underneath to attach the mics to? Not sure what  if any flexible materials might be able to be used in a 3D printer, but it seems some sort of nylon is already commonly in use. -Marc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.132 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com