Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to measure mic voltage from Plug-In Power recorder?  (Read 5380 times)

Offline gunk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How to measure mic voltage from Plug-In Power recorder?
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:27:38 PM »
I want to check how much voltage is being supplied to the mic via Plug-In Power from my recorder. 

I put a mono jack plug with an attached lead in the mic socket.  When I put a meter across the leads I get no voltage at all. 

Does the mic need to be present and drawing current for a voltage to appear?

I tried a few recorders including an Olympus LS-P1 and got no reading on any.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Re: How to measure mic voltage from Plug-In Power recorder?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »
I've never used PIP on a recorder before but you may need to use a stereo 1/8" as opposed to a mono.  The mono has one ring and the stereo has two.  The mono may not be passing a voltage because of this.  ?? :shrug:
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:30:18 AM »
Assuming plug-in-power is turned on, you should be able to measure a voltage of around 1.5V to 5V (typically around 3V) between the sleeve (ground) and tip or ring connections of the TRS mic input jack.

It shouldn't matter if the tip and ring connections are shorted, which is what a mono TS mini-jack plug will do when inserted in a stereo input jack.  You should see the same voltage.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline gunk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 05:56:54 PM »
I wonder if the voltmeter's very high resistance doesn't allow enough current to be drawn for the PIP circuitry to offer its working voltage?

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
PIP microphones don't typically draw very much current.  Which is why a 9V battery in an external battery box lasts so long.

The issue is usually that the PIP Voltage produced by the recorder may only be 1.2-3V or so, whereas PIP microphones usually perform optimally with 5-10V. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com