Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Surprised at quality of m10 preamps  (Read 7127 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Surprised at quality of m10 preamps
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »
First chance to try out my new baby Nbox the other night for something I didn't really care about, Michael Franti. Maybe slightly inferior detail to the IPA but to me it's also warmer and more Tuby than the IPA. I'm really amazed. And had to run just below 4 on the dial with -1 peaks so gain isn't an issue.All things considered the Nbox sounds better than both but the size factor and me running 95% 😈 Means it's either IPA or babynbox. Love that I don't have to toss batteries which makes the baby nbox the winner for me. Someday I'll do a side by side comp, issues with security nixed that and the opportunities are rare.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:00:10 AM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
Re: Surprised at quality of m10 preamps
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 12:08:00 PM »
I like it best with the mixpre3 but for handheld recorders, I think I am most happy when paired with the R05. Edtyre's R07 recordings sound great too.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »
First chance to try out my new baby Nbox the other night for something I didn't really care about, Michael Franti.

what we really need to know is how you feelin?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 03:13:52 PM »
The one thing that I have noticed is that MK41>BabyNBox>M10 seems to be lacking in bass response. Not sure if this is more a function of the hypers having less bass response along with the show's I've used this rig on or not. Or if the BabyNBox is effecting the bass response. Nothing major that a bit of EQ can't fix though.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 04:26:11 PM »
First chance to try out my new baby Nbox the other night for something I didn't really care about, Michael Franti.

what we really need to know is how you feelin?

I feeel like raising my arms and jumping. 😉

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 04:30:20 PM »
The one thing that I have noticed is that MK41>BabyNBox>M10 seems to be lacking in bass response. Not sure if this is more a function of the hypers having less bass response along with the show's I've used this rig on or not. Or if the BabyNBox is effecting the bass response. Nothing major that a bit of EQ can't fix though.
.  Your Waters has no shortage of good sounding bass but maybe that was added in post?

Going to run 41v>bnbox in a Couple of weeks but it’s an acoustic duo no bass. Noticed no lack of low end with 4v>babynbox but that’s one show.

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 04:55:59 PM »
How big is the difference (soundwise) between Platinum and Baby?
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 05:16:17 PM »
I think the nbox has better high end and overall more definition imho

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »
I’ve really only ever used M10’s with the line in setting. I tried the external mics once or twice and was pleasantly surprised. I don’t own a Naiant IPA or BNbox. With these devices you go mic in? I know stupid question. :yack:

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 11:13:32 PM »
IPA supplies power and gain want to go line in. Babynbox powers mics but no gain, so mic in.

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 01:42:53 AM »
I've run the Church pre's in front of the M-10 as well as Tinybox and Littlebox. I don't know if it's my imagination but the sound comes out really nice if I have less gain from the preamps and more gain form the M10's dial. It seems like the M10 has a "flavor"? Or warmth? I don't know, but I like it.
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 04:53:52 AM »
Went to see Thom Yorke in Manchester the other night. I knew security would be high following last year's terrorist attack in Manchester, so went in very light. Just some Church CAFS into an Ugly battery box and then into the mic in on my M10. Turned out to be one of the best recordings I ever made.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 10:26:09 AM »
.  Your Waters has no shortage of good sounding bass but maybe that was added in post?

I did do some EQ on the Waters to bump up the bass a bit. It was there, just needed some boosting.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 10:41:02 AM »
We discussed this before and Nick told me that he can increase the bass response by changing out the caps.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:56:07 AM by larrysellers »

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 10:51:49 AM »
We discussed this before and Nick told me that he can increase the base response by changing out the caps.
Interesting! I'll have to get in a few more recordings to make sure that is needed but great to hear that is an option.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »
Need a few more outings with 4v but it's great to have the upgrade option

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
After a few uses, my preliminary opinion is that the Sony pre is very good for acoustically based music, not so much for loud rock. It seems to lose cohesion when running -1 peaks for rock. I'd run lower levels to try and mitigate the "effect" but according to Doug, The Sony pre is true sub 16 bits, which is gonna be way worse running conservative levels. So Doug is warm modding two Marantz 620s. The specs blow the Sony away. And a little Oade warmth will be really welcome. Until switching from 4022s to dark side I'd run either an m148,
warm mod sbm1 or a 661 warm mod. Miss that sound, no disrespect to the Sony and nbox.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:20:39 PM by MakersMarc »

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 03:05:05 PM »
My own opinion is >>>> that after running the R-07 for a bit, i really like it for mic IN stuff (babynbox)
It is much better than r-05 and M-10. The headphone out (R-07) is WAY better than the others,
this bodes well for folks using a Sonicport for streaming, or for listening via headphones.
For very loud shows i still like the r-05. The M-10 has great sound and you can't go wrong with one
(i did 500 shows with one) But i never liked the gain wheel and the off/lock switch, this is the only reason
i stopped using one, the sound was not the problem.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2018, 04:37:50 PM »
M10 preamps are excellent.  Very low noise.ADC are very good, but not quite as excellent as some other gear.

The main problem I have is with the mini 1/8" connectors.For stealth recording I often tape the connectors and level controls and all switches.Gaffers tape + hot melt glue.That's right.  Hot melt glue keeps everything in place, lol.
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2018, 05:13:38 PM »
lol indeed!!

I have always kept rectangles of Gaff tape over the 2 switches on the back of the M10.

Off the subject of preamps, but on the subject of the M10...

I like having a screen protector too, to hold the broken glass in when it finally fails! I've been running the "1i" unit that cushioned the fall of a small mic stand, for over five years without the use of the LCD display and it records fine. I use my unbroken "EMTEN" machine when I need to change something in the menu, like to switch to Memory card. I do not attempt to modify the clock setting and it's about 12 minutes ahead now.

I bought a 3-pack of iPhone 4 screen protectors off ebay for 99 cents with free shipping and I cut them up for smaller screens.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com