Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope Rx 7  (Read 54186 times)

Online WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
iZotope Rx 7
« on: June 19, 2018, 11:34:37 AM »

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Re: iZotope Rx 7
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 02:12:24 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1540024830/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

A strange way to announce a new product, ya think?

I don't think this isn't the product, it's a how-to book.  The author probably just threatened to violate his NDA
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 07:30:55 PM »
Obviously it's just a book.  But unlike, say, announcing a book for January, 2019 on "How to Pilot Your Tesla Mars Rover with Windows 11.0," it's unlikely to be a joke (if it is, it's got to be the most esoteric joke ever).  So it does imply that Rx7 will be out by year-end and the feature set is already fixed enough to give a very fast writer (or maybe just a very sloppy one) time to produce copy.  So far as I know, there's no book on Rx1-6 that you could just update, either.

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 04:59:15 PM »
Yeah I thought that was funny.  I'm seeing there's discounts through the end of the month, I wonder when the next version drops? 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »
Okay, now I'm getting really spooked.  Both ricola and voltronic in this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186981.0 towards the end claim to be using Rx7.

???

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 06:07:53 PM »
Ghosts......

So I upgraded from 5 to 6 yesterday, and the tools I've used definitely work better with less fuss than before, so totally worth it.  I was working on a studio recording with an acoustic guitarist who had tons of random noise, squeaky strap, managed to tap his foot on the edge of a music stand, etc.  Painted all that stuff right out like it never happened, can't hear any music damage.  5 would have taken a lot more do/undo/futz/do/undo cycles and not worked as well. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 06:54:40 PM »
Okay, now I'm getting really spooked.  Both ricola and voltronic in this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186981.0 towards the end claim to be using Rx7.

???

That's because I have perfected time travel.  Man, wait until you guys get a load of the new machine learning algorithms!

Seriously, I was mixed up with my Ozone 7.  In reality, I have RX6.  I'll edit my posts in that thread.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »
Okay, got a teaser email from iZotope today with subject: RX 7: Welcome to the New Frontier

It was blank, but their website offers, if you buy Rx6 today, a free upgrade to Rx7 when it is released LATER THIS MONTH.

Jeff

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 08:40:25 AM »
Of course....

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=5G2GAZpUhKQ

These guys are going straight to heaven.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Rx 7? Are those features they promote usable for enhancing a stereo music recording, or is it marketing mumbo jumbo (I sure hope it's not) ?
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 12:25:38 PM »
Definitely a cool program. I wouldn't say it's a must have for tapers, but I don't think I've had the opportunity to use everything.

I need to find some old masters where I can try the De-wind and De-rustle plugins.

For RX7 the Music Re-balance tool is freaking amazing. No use for it for us, but it's fun to play with.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 05:56:43 PM »
Definitely a cool program. I wouldn't say it's a must have for tapers, but I don't think I've had the opportunity to use everything.

I need to find some old masters where I can try the De-wind and De-rustle plugins.

For RX7 the Music Re-balance tool is freaking amazing. No use for it for us, but it's fun to play with.

I want to try the demo and apply Music Rebalance to some commercial recordings I have where the vocal is WAY too loud in the mix. 
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 11:30:07 PM »
The recordings I work with are simple 2 channel stereo concert recordings from either AT933 cards or hyper caps or audio reality binaurals.

Until recently, I’ve been using Audition 3.0

A few months ago I bought Izotope RX 7 standard as an adjunct. I’m still a neophyte as far as using all the capabilities of both Audition and Izotope – but – here’s what I’m finding about RX 7.

The promo videos constantly highlight music rebalance and music repair assistant features.
Honestly, for the type of recordings I have, these haven’t been as helpful as of yet.

What I HAVE found helpful are:

Clip Gain – although available pretty closely in Audacity, it’s been very easy to use to boost artist banter in between songs.

De –Click – probably the most outrageous module I’ve ever used to eliminate or drastically reduce clapping from people sitting close by. Select output clicks only and slide the choices up and down til you only hear the claps. Deselect output clicks only and render and the claps are almost totally gone or diminished so much that if you listen in headphones, they no longer bother you.

De Reverb – A subtle touch is required here, but for my recordings that had a bit of echo off the walls of the venue, this has helped to bring the audio of the instruments and vocals a bit more up front.

Spectral Repair – I’ve been learning to rely on the spectrogram views. For me, this is proving to be extremely helpful to reduce or eliminate those loud whistles that some audience folks insist on doing at various times. While both Audition and Audacity give good spectrogram views, RX 7 allows you to vary colors and level views so you can really see and highlight the offending noises. Then you can attenuate or replace from adjacent area. For me – great because I like to listen back to my recordings in headphones.

Spectral De Noise – I’ve only used this once so far. In one of my concert recordings, the artist wandered off stage and played his electric guitar off amp and sang without any amplification. The recording was extremely quiet and had hiss in the background. I was able to highlight the small bit of hiss/silence and get rid of it without (to me) any noticeable change in the audio I wanted to hear.

OK – so that’s what I’ve found really helpful in RX 7 standard.

On the negative side, the Equalizer leaves a lot to be desired. You get to use the EQ with some really nice features but to see your waveform, you need to open a separate window.

In RX 7 standard, there are no compressors or limiters included. RX 7 installs in both 32 and 64 bit. I’ve been choosing to use the 64 bit version. In 32 bit, I could include all the Audition VST plugins but they are all 32 bit. So instead, I installed the Tokyo Rose Koltenikov 64 bit compressor as well as the Loud Max 64 bit limiter.

That leaves the poor EQ choice.

I ended up buying the Ozone 8 elements plugin. This allowed me to see changes in the waveform in the same window as the equalizer. In addition, you can control very easily the audio you balance and hear in both channels equally. I can’t explain this easily – watch a video or download a demo to see what I’m talking about.

All this being said – I’m finding that I can both screw up or improve my recordings based on how much fiddling I do.

Again, keep in mind this review is what I’ve found helpful for 2 channel concert recordings that I’m trying to enhance or fix. There are other features that apply to multi-channel recordings that don’t apply to my usage.

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 09:35:21 AM »

Since I've had it, I've pulled many a buried vocal up out of an audience recording with great success, pulled bass up to match kick drum, bass down to match rest of band, drums down to match rest of band.  On the right sort of source, you can turn the bass player OFF like there isn't one at all, without it touching the kick drum.   Total lifesaver with stealth recordings, poor rooms, poor PA, poor soundguy. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com