Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What to try next: DINa (or DIN) vs. ORTF vs. NOS vs. PAS - CKG63 actives  (Read 3214 times)

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Recently got my CK63's back with some nBob actives and am looking at SRS for a couple of bar options.  I've run DINa previously with my MK41's and in some of the rooms I'm in, especially in Toronto, I find I get quite a bit of reverb/boomyness/echo with that pattern.  I know there isn't a "one size fits all" but is there something else I should give a shot to with the CK63's or should I simply stick with tried and true DINa?

I realize I could eliminate some of the hollowness/echoey recordings if I wanted to play human mic stand for the evening but this becomes a pain when trying to matrix a recording (especially when I've had permissions to record from the artist).

Curious to thoughts on this.  Thanks all.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What to try next: DINa (or DIN) vs. ORTF vs. NOS vs. PAS - CKG63 actives
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 05:59:24 PM »
but this becomes a pain when trying to matrix a recording
Great point. Making a matrix work is FAR easier with the two sources fixed in space relative to one another, like mics on a stand.

I'm the wrong guy to ask about pattern. I keep getting and losing mic mounts and so I run with what I have. I loved ORTF but XY was fine too. Now my old "active" cables allow noticeable RF noise through so I don't use them and I just stick the mics on a crappy old stereo bar and wing it.

Nobody ever complains.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 06:26:15 PM »
You are likely aware already so forgive me if that's the case, but this is precisely what Improved PAS is intended to help with.  Yes it offers a 'variable' answer based on PAS angle, but if you find about the same angle to the PA or edges of the stage at most of the locations in which you record, pick whatever solution from the table is closest to that in the PAS angle column, then have a bar printed which uses the spacing indicated in the supercardioid column for in the same row.

If they are inexpensive, you might have a few printed to cover a range of situations you find yourself in.  I believe this to be your best option.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=167549.msg2087409#msg2087409

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 07:39:25 PM »
Thanks Gutbucket.  I'll have to look at other mounting options, I guess so I can figure out the desired spacing.  Appreciated.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com