Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)  (Read 142498 times)

mcfoster

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #420 on: February 25, 2022, 04:25:22 PM »
This is a random, somewhat related question. I recorded a band last night, 3 channels at 32/48 on a 64GB card. I left the recorder running for 4 hours straight. I was surprised to see that the F6 Split the files after 3 hours or so. Is there a max file size or something I do not know about with the F6? I was going to pull up the manual, but this thread was right here and relevant. Thanks-Marc

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #421 on: February 26, 2022, 06:39:53 AM »

Funny how this wasn't an issue at all until the pandemic and I had no concerts to record for over a year.

I'm kind of fortunate that my recording days were over well before the pandemic hit, and thus I wasn't suddenly "gigless" like that.  Given that recordings of the kind you seem to do were my only source of income, I would have been up the creek sans paddle.  You have my sympathies!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #422 on: February 26, 2022, 07:41:54 AM »
This is a random, somewhat related question. I recorded a band last night, 3 channels at 32/48 on a 64GB card. I left the recorder running for 4 hours straight. I was surprised to see that the F6 Split the files after 3 hours or so. Is there a max file size or something I do not know about with the F6? I was going to pull up the manual, but this thread was right here and relevant. Thanks-Marc

The WAV format is limited to 2 GB. Should be 4, but the thread below explains why in practice it's usually 2:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=32422.0
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #423 on: February 26, 2022, 07:43:17 AM »
Tried out some old cheap cards. The only ones that pass the full test are the 16 gb ones. All other cards are 64 gb and more and fail. So I guess it must be overheating because of the long test routine.

Even just the card test built into the F6 software fails? Nothing should be overheating in that case.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #424 on: February 26, 2022, 01:12:34 PM »
Tried out some old cheap cards. The only ones that pass the full test are the 16 gb ones. All other cards are 64 gb and more and fail. So I guess it must be overheating because of the long test routine.

Even just the card test built into the F6 software fails? Nothing should be overheating in that case.

So what else?

mcfoster

« Reply #425 on: February 26, 2022, 02:50:27 PM »

The WAV format is limited to 2 GB. Should be 4, but the thread below explains why in practice it's usually 2:

Ahh, I had a mix pre and It didn't do that I don't think, but I think the error on my thinking is that the folder size is gigantic, but the individual track sizes in the folder is what determines the split point. I have had Tascams, do the 2GB split, which I hate, but it was 2 tracks making up that file size. In this case I am getting ISO's. Thanks

Offline voltronic

« Reply #426 on: February 27, 2022, 10:02:38 AM »

So what else?

No idea. I would take it to Zoom tech support.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #427 on: February 27, 2022, 12:06:20 PM »

Ahh, I had a mix pre and It didn't do that I don't think, but I think the error on my thinking is that the folder size is gigantic, but the individual track sizes in the folder is what determines the split point. I have had Tascams, do the 2GB split, which I hate, but it was 2 tracks making up that file size. In this case I am getting ISO's. Thanks

I had a mixpre 10 ii and it split files as well.
Not a problem at all. In fact by the way it could add security in case a file gets corrupt.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #428 on: February 28, 2022, 09:56:30 AM »

Remember the size of a WAV file is determined by the number of channels interleaved in it as well as the bit-depth and sample rate. As single channel files, ISO's will run twice as long before reaching the size limit and starting a new file in comparison to a stereo WAV recorded at the same bit-depth and rate, and six times as long as a 6 channel WAV.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #429 on: February 28, 2022, 02:48:11 PM »
The maximum file size for WAV is 4GB; the MixPre series automatically splits files at that point. So, as Gutbucket points out, the amount of time depends on the number of channels, sampling frequency and bit-depth. Incidentally, other recorders also split at 4 GB, such as the Marantz PMD620 and PMD661. And those came out a long time ago (maybe 15 years for the 620). I am pretty sure other devices also allow 4 GB WAVs.

mcfoster

« Reply #430 on: February 28, 2022, 04:21:05 PM »
Thanks Everyone, I am used to only using 2 channels, and I never usually let a recorder run that long, but I have found that when you don't have to worry about levels at a 3 set 4 hour event, processing is less time consuming as one long file haha! atleast, that was my theory until this split came up at 3:06...

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #431 on: March 04, 2022, 02:34:40 AM »

No idea. I would take it to Zoom tech support.

Zoom confirmed the issue. At least when using dual record in 24 plus 32 bit, audio can be skipping, so the recorder doesn’t work reliably. It’s crazy that they don’t warn their customers as a lot are using them professionally..
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 05:29:32 AM by SoundPete »

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #432 on: March 07, 2022, 02:51:19 AM »
Zoom confirmed the issue. At least when using dual record in 24 plus 32 bit, audio can be skipping, so the recorder doesn’t work reliably. It’s crazy that they don’t warn their customers as a lot are using them professionally..

Is there any way to record 32 bit only and still keep a fixed trim-setting everytime you start recording?
Its annoying to set the levels again and again every time you start recording and then adjust the fader level again.
I know you can fix it in post - but most editing applications allow volume adjustments only to a certain extent.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #433 on: March 07, 2022, 01:02:31 PM »
Don't want to confuse things as I don't know how similar F6 recording 32bit float is to F8 recording 24bit, but I deal with a similar situation with regards to monitor/mix levels on F8.  I generally keep input trims set the same recording to recording, and as a general starting point, I would like to have the monitor/mix levels remain set the same each time as well  ..and they are unless the channel input knobs are accidentally adjusted.  The problem is they are easily knocked, throwing off the monitor/mix for that and each subsequent recording until being readjusted again.  Fortunately this is mostly an annoyance, in that it is not effecting recorded levels.  Still its nice to avoid.

The best fix I've found is to set the lock-function to lock only the channel knobs (I also lock-out the slate-mic/test-tone switch) but none of the transport controls, menu button nor input knob.  I would leave them locked out all the time if I could, however, since the lock-function resets to unlocked upon power down, each time I power up I still need to manually check all the monitor/mix track knob positions prior to locking them down, but they then will remain unchanged during the recording session, and the monitor/mix levels stored with the files will reflect that desired generic starting point.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #434 on: March 12, 2022, 10:38:17 AM »
Oh no! The same issue has just happened in 24 bit only recording. A lot of clips are completely out of sync!
No word from zoom, no answers to my mails anymore..

Is there any way to record 32 bit only and still keep a fixed trim-setting everytime you start recording?
Its annoying to set the levels again and again every time you start recording and then adjust the fader level again.
I know you can fix it in post - but most editing applications allow volume adjustments only to a certain extent.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com