Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shure Mv88  (Read 5460 times)

Offline hotdog

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Shure Mv88
« on: June 20, 2019, 10:20:20 AM »
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MV88--shure-mv88-digital-stereo-condenser-microphone-for-ios

Anyone have any thoughts a buddy has done 5 shows at the egg and they sound great 👍
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 02:50:05 PM by hotdog »
Schoeps MK4/ MK41vs//active /Nbox
> 702> 744t

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
Re: Share Mv88
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 11:39:54 AM »
Had one, did a few shows, doesn't pass metal detection so i would opt for something better.
Sound is pretty weak imho
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
Re: Share Mv88
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 11:54:34 AM »
I've had variable results.  For one show it amazingly outperformed a set of AT943s.  Other times not so good.  I'm keeping mine in the arsenal for use as a backup or for special situations.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Shure Mv88
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 11:48:24 AM »
I have one that I've used quite a bit - I like it, and think it's capable of pulling some nice tapes.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 03:44:19 PM »
It's not as good as a "full rig" or certainly DPAs + d:vice (not even close) but it's a pretty nice piece of gear for the convenience/price. I've done a few shows with one. And I did get through a metal detector just fine.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 10:00:55 PM »
Metal detector shouldn’t be a concern really. It’s just a thing that you use with your phone...

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 03:41:33 PM »
Metal detector shouldn’t be a concern really. It’s just a thing that you use with your phone...

Tell that to security at Ceasars Palace in Vegas or even at The Well's Fargo Center in Philly
where it sets it off. Sure, at some venues it wont set off, the ones where you can get your full size rig
in easy anyway. I made a decent, not killer recording of The Who and yet a decent but not killer of Karla Bonoff
then i sold mine. "I need killer like a crack addict needs crack" said a taper i know :-)
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 10:56:35 PM »
I think what detroit lightning is saying is--you don't need to put it through the detector, just put it in the dish with your keys and phone and if they ask what it is just give 'em some BS.  I'm really good at BS'ing.   ;) ;D

Tell that to security at Ceasars Palace in Vegas or even at The Well's Fargo Center in Philly
where it sets it off. Sure, at some venues it wont set off, the ones where you can get your full size rig
in easy anyway. I made a decent, not killer recording of The Who and yet a decent but not killer of Karla Bonoff
then i sold mine. "I need killer like a crack addict needs crack" said a taper i know :-)
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 11:28:40 PM »
Yup. Can only speak to my experience with it, but yeah, throw it into the dish with the other 5000 things in your pockets.

I think what detroit lightning is saying is--you don't need to put it through the detector, just put it in the dish with your keys and phone and if they ask what it is just give 'em some BS.  I'm really good at BS'ing.   ;) ;D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 05:06:41 PM »
5 shows at the egg and they sound great 👍

The Egg has good acoustics.  I suspect a large part of why the recordings sound great is the qualities of the room as much as those of the microphone.

I made a decent, not killer recording of The Who and yet a decent but not killer of Karla Bonoff

+T
Mo killer!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 09:27:23 PM »
I have Ed’s.  Used it for Def Leppard and Journey at the Gorge.  Two different sounding sets.  Journey definitely sounded better but Def Leppard cleaned up nicely. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 09:18:41 AM »

Looks like a handle to mount your phone on to take videos to me.
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2022, 03:41:22 PM »
Based on the advice in another thread, I picked up this lightning extension cable that allows for separating the mic from your phone. Can confirm that it does work, in case anyone is looking for a similar solution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0963KH66F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone have experience / ideas for unique mounting opportunities? I'm mostly using this as a backup to my DPA rig these days - but having the ability to extend it from the phone should have some benefit. Taping it to railings, posts, tables all seem to make sense. Just trying to think of some other ways to use it...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2022, 04:44:41 PM »
I'm still awaiting the ability to record more than two channels into a phone.

MV88 in the middle between your DPA omnis spaced to either side would be an attractive option to my way of thinking.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2022, 04:56:16 PM »
I'm still awaiting the ability to record more than two channels into a phone.

MV88 in the middle between your DPA omnis spaced to either side would be an attractive option to my way of thinking.

Absolutely.

I do have two phones, so while I can’t run 4 channels in one recorder, I can record 2 stereo signals

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com