Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oddball microphone technique (OMT) - part 3  (Read 74953 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Oddball microphone technique (OMT) - part 3
« Reply #255 on: April 02, 2022, 03:25:25 AM »
I ran a seven channel OMT at Tedeschi Trucks Band on Saturday:https://archive.org/details/ttb2022-03-26.omt7audmtx.perez.t-flac16

This is the OMT sound I recognize. Sounds right!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #256 on: April 02, 2022, 11:06:52 AM »

This is the OMT sound I recognize. Sounds right!

Thanks gb. The OMT approach has been extremely helpful, especially for a budget taper like me.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2022, 09:05:59 PM »

Snip < "I've previously had concerns about the acoustic effect of the rubber cup-disk on the back of the Movo windscreens which many tapers have shifted to from BAS, but that concern now seems less important in light of this design weakness of the BAS.  I now intend to try Movos in place of BAS..">

I tried everything for outdoor taping after moving to the Midwest - Big Ass Shures being one of them - and the Movo Ballistic Nylon screens, the smooth black ones not the furry ones, have NEVER let me down. Having that sealed gasket around the mic behind the vents takes some getting used to to get them oriented but it works every time. Never had a problem with wind rumble since I started using them. Once on the shore of the Miss River in NOLA at the Fried Chicken Festival I had to strap my stand to the SBD barricade to keep it from blowing over. No rumble. Phasing, however, is a whole other thing...
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #258 on: April 04, 2022, 10:37:58 AM »
^ Will be trickier on these miniature mics that don't have a traditional diameter body.  I may have to make short dummy-body cylindrical plugs or otherwise modify the rubber cuff.

The only remedy for wind-phasing I know of is moving closer, since it's due to the wind moshing up the air around between the source and mics.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline djphrayz

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2022, 02:06:12 PM »
^ Will be trickier on these miniature mics that don't have a traditional diameter body.  I may have to make short dummy-body cylindrical plugs or otherwise modify the rubber cuff.

I recently acquired some DPA 4061s in a stereo kit that came with small foam windscreens.  I have yet to use these mics outdoors.  Do I need to worry about rumble with those small windscreens?  My understanding is that omnis are less susceptible to wind noise, so the foam windscreen may be adequate for "normal" breezy conditions.

What's your experience with wind noise on DPA 4061s?
Mics: AT4031, DPA4061, DPA4099, AKG483, CA-14 cards and omnis
Recorders: MixPre10ii, Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10
Pre: DPA MMA6000, CA Ugly 2

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #260 on: May 18, 2022, 02:26:07 PM »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2022, 03:40:41 PM »
^
Gets windy there! Yet I don't hear any wind in a brief listen to the quiet parts.

I find small foam screens are sufficient for the miniature DPA omnis in most outdoor situations.  You might want something a bit thicker than the super tiny ones that come with these mics if you expect significant gusts.  The somewhat larger generic foams for other lavs work well for me outdoors.

With them flush-mounted in balls as I'm using them in my current OMT rig they probably become a bit more sensitive to wind than they otherwise would be in free space, due to increased pressure build up on the surface of the sphere, but even then I don't worry much and simply use a relatively thin hemispherical foam screen that is something like 3/8" to 1/2" thick over the mic pinned to the ball (generic SM-58 type ball-head mic windscreens that I cut-down to just the hemispherical cap).

The miniature DPA 4098 supercards I'm using are the same size as the omnis, just with a much longer grid, but as directional mics are way more wind sensitive and where bigger windscreens are required, as is the Naiant X-8S - expected as it is a fig-8.  When I mentioned the wind vulnerability of the otherwise stalwart big ass Shure windscreens above and my addition of fur to remedy it, I had no problem with and wasn't concerned about the 4061 omnis needing any additional wind protection.

Offline djphrayz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2022, 04:33:47 PM »

https://archive.org/details/jrad2019-08-29.DPA4061

Thank you, Heathen. Were these mics naked, or were you using windscreens?
Mics: AT4031, DPA4061, DPA4099, AKG483, CA-14 cards and omnis
Recorders: MixPre10ii, Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10
Pre: DPA MMA6000, CA Ugly 2

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2022, 06:29:38 PM »

No windscreens, just flappin' in the breeze.  (I don't recall it being particularly windy that night, though I'm sure there was some wind from time to time it being Red Rocks and all.)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #264 on: May 19, 2022, 07:29:19 AM »

No windscreens, just flappin' in the breeze.  (I don't recall it being particularly windy that night, though I'm sure there was some wind from time to time it being Red Rocks and all.)

Have run DPA4060 at RR in a hat with those foam wind screens that come with the set. Did not have wind noise on the recording. Actually was going to run DPA4022 though it was windy so changed to the DPA4060 at the last minute. No overload on the mics was in row 12 dead center. It was windy. Was surprised their was not wind noise due to frequent gusts. Had to EQ it to get a flat frequency response. It sounded quite nice. Never put it up anywhere due to bands don't allow taping. My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 07:36:49 AM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2022, 11:00:12 AM »

I recently acquired some DPA 4061s in a stereo kit that came with small foam windscreens.  I have yet to use these mics outdoors.  Do I need to worry about rumble with those small windscreens?  My understanding is that omnis are less susceptible to wind noise, so the foam windscreen may be adequate for "normal" breezy conditions.

Yo brother. I have the same kit and have used them outdoors a few times. We tried putting those tiny foam things on them while already mounted on a stand, in the moment, and it didn't work we gave up. Pavilion at SPAC so hardly any wind noise anyway.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #266 on: May 19, 2022, 12:05:19 PM »
I've similarly used 4060/4061 without any foam screens outdoors plenty of times when its not significantly windy without problems. Doing so has made other tapers scratch their heads at times.

Those tiny DPA foams are pretty delicate and can be knocked off easily so are easy to loose. Not sure how useful they really are for us. Slightly bigger/thicker lav foams with a similar internal diameter stay on better and provide more protection if and when it's actually needed. I've used a tiny corner of gaff tape to secure the tiny DPA screens in place when I didn't have other foams, which worked but the adhesive tends to tear them up.

The earlier discussion of Movos and BAS above is all in regards to directional mics, no need for anything that significant for 4060/4061/4063 with regards to music taping.

Fun story- The most windscreening I ever needed with 4060s was when I used my 4 channel 4060 stealth rig to record our car competing at a autocross event years ago.  I attached the four mics to the fenders of the car just above the wheels with gaff tape and the slightly larger lav foams than the DPA's I was using for music recording outdoors, with the intention of quad playback later once we got home.  A quick headphone check after the first run revealed lots of wind noise at speed, not unexpected as the car got up to 50+ mph max or so even on the very twisty course.  I then walked around and found a guy hacking up his front seat cushions to allow him to sit lower in his car and achieve sufficient helmet clearance.  He gave me the yellow open-cell foam he was pulling out of the seats, which I proceeded to cut into four squares, gaff taped to the fenders over the mics, and the following runs were free of wind noise.  Those scrap foam pieces were something like 1-1/2" thick, no more than 2".  Worked great taming the 50mph apparent wind noise.  Back at my place that evening we could hear each tire breaking away and squealing separately in various corners.  Sounded like being there in the car, racing around the track with the top down!

I planed to try it again, but then we got more serious about competing so my attention and efforts were drawn there, which included switching to proper racing slicks that don't squeal like street tires and likely would have made any later recordings less compelling because of it - certainly less "Hollywood move sound" where car tires always squeal even on dirt roads, and divers always shown up-shifting rather than down-shifting to accelerate hard or pass.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #267 on: June 20, 2022, 12:33:22 PM »
I'm very curious to hear from those of you running OMT arrays who have hands-on experience using both X/Y and Mid/Side as center pair regarding differences in substituting one for the other.  Not so much with regards to setup, but rather the impression of any difference in sound, particularly in getting the overall OMT recording sounding the way you want in mixing.

I've not really compared both coincident center pair arrangements sufficiently to confidently conclude from experience that they are as interchangeable in practice as they are in theory.  Complicating things further are differences of implementation using specific microphones, as anecdotally at least some seem to work better in one coincident arrangement verses the other.

This has recently come up in recent discussions with checht regarding his newly realized OMT4 spaced omnis + coincident center pair setup (photos here in rig pics- https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=199895.msg2378547#msg2378547)  ..and has also come to the fore in my mind as I've been working recently on revising the illustrated OMT PDF booklet linked in my signature which I thew together a number of years ago and have been meaning to get back to ever since - in need of updating in light of further evolved experience and thinking, clarifications, simplifications, and additions. 

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2022, 08:24:29 PM »
Here's a sample from a very rough mix of my first try at OMT4 at Gov't Mule Bend, OR 20220616. I used Vanguard V1s w omni caps spaced 4' and mk41s x/y @ 90º in the center.
Playing around w virtual angles, I think I'll try more like 75º next time, for imaging and higher ratio of direct sound.
I've ordered a Naint X8 to try with an mk41 m/s as center pair; since I'm a noob, might as well complicate things some more 😀.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9gkulp9x2abnrh/gm20220616.mp3?dl=0
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #269 on: June 21, 2022, 10:11:40 AM »
Thanks checht! 

A few questions:
>What would you estimate the angle between PA speakers was as viewed from the recording position? Is that the source of your 75º number?
>Or stated another way, approximately how many degrees outside of the direct axis to the PA speakers were the 90º angled X/Y pair pointing?
>Is this the straight X/Y? Or did you make any readjustment of its mid/side ratio, via panning, MSED, or whatever? (just want to confirm, as we discussed that possibility)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com