Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 133425 times)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #315 on: May 22, 2022, 09:50:26 PM »
Feeling like taking a trip to Tokyo soon...

"
Dear Customer
We did not forget about you!

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when the Sony PCM-A10 High-Resolution Audio Recorder (B&H # SOPCMA10) becomes available. We advised you then that we would send you interim updates. We regret the item remains unavailable "
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #316 on: May 23, 2022, 09:56:33 AM »
Well, record both mics pointing forward - that too is an option.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #317 on: May 23, 2022, 11:43:38 AM »

Akihabara?
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #318 on: May 23, 2022, 12:12:02 PM »

Akihabara?
That's how we got our first DAT field recorder. A friend's dad worked for Delta, so he flew for us...
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #319 on: May 23, 2022, 01:57:59 PM »

Akihabara?
That's how we got our first DAT field recorder. A friend's dad worked for Delta, so he flew for us...

I lived/worked in Tokyo for three years back in the '90s and spent a lot of time at Akihabara. ;D
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #320 on: May 23, 2022, 05:21:51 PM »

Akihabara?

Is Team nVidia there?

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #321 on: May 28, 2022, 04:10:23 PM »
I was open taping Belle & Sebastian FOB last night with my primary rig being nakamichi cm-300s, and figured I'd run the a10 internals in wide mode just for the hell of it.

Acoustics were pretty bad where I was at, probably my least favorite pull in the past couple years, but thought maybe the comparison may be of value to someone.

A10:
https://soundcloud.com/roffels/a10?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Nakamichi:
https://soundcloud.com/roffels/nakamichi?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #322 on: May 28, 2022, 06:06:00 PM »
^ Thanks for the chance to listen to it.
Clearly liking the CM-300s for rejection and slight mid-boost
Which may be in part from all those years of listening to Nak recordings

BTW...
Does anyone know if the imports from China, Singapore, and the Philippines are legit Sony product ?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 06:12:01 PM by Clem Cheesy »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #323 on: May 29, 2022, 09:40:23 AM »
Interesting comparison - in terms of stereo image I think the A10 internals seem more focussed in the centre while retaining full width for audience sounds - the nakamichi cm-300s sound slightly undefined in the centre - always hard to turn sounds into words of course!  I'd say you have omni capsules on the CM-300s  rather than cardioid?   Overall, I'd rate the A10 internals, in this example, as "no disaster".

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #324 on: May 29, 2022, 11:06:02 AM »
Interesting comparison - in terms of stereo image I think the A10 internals seem more focussed in the centre while retaining full width for audience sounds - the nakamichi cm-300s sound slightly undefined in the centre - always hard to turn sounds into words of course!  I'd say you have omni capsules on the CM-300s  rather than cardioid?   Overall, I'd rate the A10 internals, in this example, as "no disaster".

The naks were cards. I'm not happy with either set, curious to hear how the a10 performs in a better location.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #325 on: May 29, 2022, 11:28:37 AM »

The naks were cards. I'm not happy with either set, curious to hear how the a10 performs in a better location.

I posted this a few months ago, but I'm pretty pleased with the A10's internal mic performance in the limited use I've had with it. I threw it up on the edge of the balcony and this was the result (mics pointed out, away from each other):

https://archive.org/details/billystrings2022-03-27

It's a little tinny sounding to me, but surprisingly good IMO.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #326 on: May 29, 2022, 07:55:32 PM »

I posted this a few months ago, but I'm pretty pleased with the A10's internal mic performance in the limited use I've had with it. I threw it up on the edge of the balcony and this was the result (mics pointed out, away from each other):

https://archive.org/details/billystrings2022-03-27

It's a little tinny sounding to me, but surprisingly good IMO.

Yeah, that's a good sounding tape. I'm curious how easy it is to distort the mics on these.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #327 on: May 30, 2022, 07:46:01 AM »
Yeah, that's a good sounding tape. I'm curious how easy it is to distort the mics on these.

I got some additions to the NIN Live Archive that were done with the internals of an A10. I honestly was going to shrug them off and just thought they'd be like every other internal mic recording I've heard from other recorders. Just blown out and unlistenable. I used to have this mentality that if you're gonna tape, at least go all out and get some external mics. I was wrong. I even told the taper that and I am VERY surprised how well the internals on the A10 are. They handle SPLs really good. The first link they recorded from the middle of the pit which was very small and very close to the sound source. The bass was intense that close at the show and the A10s mics handled them very well. Way better than my Schoeps, IMO. The other shows below the sound was just as loud, if not louder and I believe the taper was near the board for all the rest. Links provided have 2 minute sample with the source.

In conclusion, big fan of the A10 internals. Maybe just as good as the Sony ECM-717 mic.

Source 4: https://ninlive.com/shows/2022/20220428.html
Source 5: https://ninlive.com/shows/2022/20220430.html
Source 4: https://ninlive.com/shows/2022/20220501.html
Source 3: https://ninlive.com/shows/2022/20220522.html
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #328 on: May 30, 2022, 10:12:20 AM »
The bass on the BillyStrings recording has plenty of bottom end to my ear.  Overall, a perfectly good recording imho. You'd probably have to go to some lengths to have improved on that.  And you're always at the mercy of the PA quality, which can stuff up the sound long before it reaches your internal or external mics!

The samples posted by RyanJ were (once I'd worked out which link to play - I'm getting gaga with old age) were to me a bit less impressive because there was very little stereo image happening, I thought - I doubt whether the mics were in the wide-apart position - but the frequency response was wider than you would somehow expect.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 10:21:43 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline voodoostrat

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #329 on: May 31, 2022, 12:52:19 PM »
A10’s back in stock at B&H. Better hurry.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com