Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 132909 times)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #375 on: June 21, 2022, 06:57:07 PM »
I just upgraded to the 13 Pro today and couldn't get my A10 to connect. I knew that I had read something on here about it and found the post. On the A10, I kept trying to add an Audio Device and nothing would work. After reading this post, I played with some settings and what did work for me was going into Bluetooth>REC Remote. There I saw my old device in the Manage Added Devices. I decided to try the Add Device (Pairing) from there and lo and behold, the bluetooth device was finally recognized on my phone and I'm all good to go. Now, I didn't look up the A10 directions, so maybe this is how it is supposed to be done anyway, but like I said, I was trying to pair the device from the Audio Device menu. Which was wrong.

Just thought I'd add to this.

IMPORTANT FOR iPHONE 13 USERS

I've had my A10 for one year and it's been my main recording deck since the day I got it (previous main deck was an Edirol R-07).  I used my iPhone 12 Pro Max when I first got the A10, and I've been loving the ease with which I can control the recording with an app on my phone.  A week ago, I got an iPhone 13 Pro Max (w/ 1TB storage).  And that's when this conundrum began ... no matter what I did, I could not get the iPhone 13 to recognize (and pair with) the A10.  I tried and tried and tried ... but no dice.  The only saving grace was that the iPhone 12 / A10 combo has always worked just fine, so I was still able to >:D two shows last week while using the A10 app on my iPhone.  But I only have two weeks from receipt of the iPhone 13 to return the iPhone 12 and get the guaranteed refund for the trade-in.  I chatted with Apple support via text at their webpage ... not much help.  I drove over to a Best Buy and found a sharp young guy in the smart phone section and he actually gave it a really good effort (especially considering I didn't buy the phone or recorder from Best Buy so I was just a random guy walking in off the street asking for service).  After that, I finally decided I had to go big, so I made an appointment at the nearest Apple Store, which is an hour drive away.  I don't go there often, so I don't know what's normal, but I was seen after waiting 5 minutes or so.  The person who assisted me was a young lady named Grace, probably in her mid-late 20s.  She dove right into it - had my iPhone 12, iPhone 13 and A10 layed out along with a few other devices of her own and also had the A10 manual pulled up on her iPad.  For a good half hour she poked around through the iPhone menus, ran diagnostics, did various other testing, went to the backroom a couple of times ... but no bueno.  She called her boss Sasha over and he worked on it for five minutes or so.  He had some really insightful ideas for fixes ... but even he couldn't solve this.  Sasha got called away to another customer and Grace went back at it.  Around 45 minutes in - after reading parts of the A10 manual - Grace started taking a hard look at the menus in the A10; in particular, the Bluetooth menu.  And then she found something and BANG - just like that - problem solved.  So the smart thing for me at that point would have been to ask Grace exactly what she had just found that fixed the problem.  But I was super happy to finally get this saga done with and this was 50 minutes into the session; and I could tell Grace needed a break.  So I just thanked her and left.  Just as she was about to solve the problem, however, I do remember her saying she was looking at the bluetooth settings in the A10 and it looked like it was set to send data out to a device like a bluetooth speaker, as opposed to being set to receive data from a recording rig.  So after it was all said and done ... there is still that mystery out there ... if the bluetooth settings in the A10 were the problem (with the iPhone 13), for the last year, why (how?) did the A10 work just fine with the iPhone 12?  Grace was equally baffled by this question.

TL;DR:  If you upgrade an iPhone that works properly with the A10 app, but your new iPhone doesn't connect over bluetooth with the A10 app, the solution is probably in the A10's bluetooth menu.

I started reading this and thought it looked familiar.  And then I read a little more and it started looking even MORE familiar.  And then I looked at the author and realized it was me.  Ha!
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline zeus163

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #376 on: June 28, 2022, 01:06:02 AM »
Yeah, it was totally you! I just wanted to link back to your post because that is what got me messing around with it and working. You did all the hard work.

I just upgraded to the 13 Pro today and couldn't get my A10 to connect. I knew that I had read something on here about it and found the post. On the A10, I kept trying to add an Audio Device and nothing would work. After reading this post, I played with some settings and what did work for me was going into Bluetooth>REC Remote. There I saw my old device in the Manage Added Devices. I decided to try the Add Device (Pairing) from there and lo and behold, the bluetooth device was finally recognized on my phone and I'm all good to go. Now, I didn't look up the A10 directions, so maybe this is how it is supposed to be done anyway, but like I said, I was trying to pair the device from the Audio Device menu. Which was wrong.

Just thought I'd add to this.

IMPORTANT FOR iPHONE 13 USERS

I've had my A10 for one year and it's been my main recording deck since the day I got it (previous main deck was an Edirol R-07).  I used my iPhone 12 Pro Max when I first got the A10, and I've been loving the ease with which I can control the recording with an app on my phone.  A week ago, I got an iPhone 13 Pro Max (w/ 1TB storage).  And that's when this conundrum began ... no matter what I did, I could not get the iPhone 13 to recognize (and pair with) the A10.  I tried and tried and tried ... but no dice.  The only saving grace was that the iPhone 12 / A10 combo has always worked just fine, so I was still able to >:D two shows last week while using the A10 app on my iPhone.  But I only have two weeks from receipt of the iPhone 13 to return the iPhone 12 and get the guaranteed refund for the trade-in.  I chatted with Apple support via text at their webpage ... not much help.  I drove over to a Best Buy and found a sharp young guy in the smart phone section and he actually gave it a really good effort (especially considering I didn't buy the phone or recorder from Best Buy so I was just a random guy walking in off the street asking for service).  After that, I finally decided I had to go big, so I made an appointment at the nearest Apple Store, which is an hour drive away.  I don't go there often, so I don't know what's normal, but I was seen after waiting 5 minutes or so.  The person who assisted me was a young lady named Grace, probably in her mid-late 20s.  She dove right into it - had my iPhone 12, iPhone 13 and A10 layed out along with a few other devices of her own and also had the A10 manual pulled up on her iPad.  For a good half hour she poked around through the iPhone menus, ran diagnostics, did various other testing, went to the backroom a couple of times ... but no bueno.  She called her boss Sasha over and he worked on it for five minutes or so.  He had some really insightful ideas for fixes ... but even he couldn't solve this.  Sasha got called away to another customer and Grace went back at it.  Around 45 minutes in - after reading parts of the A10 manual - Grace started taking a hard look at the menus in the A10; in particular, the Bluetooth menu.  And then she found something and BANG - just like that - problem solved.  So the smart thing for me at that point would have been to ask Grace exactly what she had just found that fixed the problem.  But I was super happy to finally get this saga done with and this was 50 minutes into the session; and I could tell Grace needed a break.  So I just thanked her and left.  Just as she was about to solve the problem, however, I do remember her saying she was looking at the bluetooth settings in the A10 and it looked like it was set to send data out to a device like a bluetooth speaker, as opposed to being set to receive data from a recording rig.  So after it was all said and done ... there is still that mystery out there ... if the bluetooth settings in the A10 were the problem (with the iPhone 13), for the last year, why (how?) did the A10 work just fine with the iPhone 12?  Grace was equally baffled by this question.

TL;DR:  If you upgrade an iPhone that works properly with the A10 app, but your new iPhone doesn't connect over bluetooth with the A10 app, the solution is probably in the A10's bluetooth menu.

I started reading this and thought it looked familiar.  And then I read a little more and it started looking even MORE familiar.  And then I looked at the author and realized it was me.  Ha!
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #377 on: June 28, 2022, 02:29:57 PM »
The PCM A-10 is back in Stock at B&H Photo when I dropped in on my lunch hour.
Walk in and shipping...
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #378 on: June 28, 2022, 04:05:06 PM »
I got the reminder from B&H and tipped off a buddy that wanted one and he was able to scoop one up.

Is there anything this can't do?  I was able to pair it via Bluetooth to my car for playback on the way home from its first use.  I really like this thing
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #379 on: June 28, 2022, 07:06:41 PM »

Is there anything this can't do? 

32 bit float?  But seriously, that apart, indeed it's an excellent little device.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #380 on: June 30, 2022, 12:24:03 PM »
I just got another one of these to replace my faulty one from a few years back.

Question on BLUETOOTH.

Are you just pairing this one time with your phone and leaving bluetooth setting ON in the A-10 or switching bluetooth off when not in use?

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #381 on: June 30, 2022, 12:31:01 PM »
^ I just leave it on. The battery life is already crazy long, and when I do power it up I typically want to pair it.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #382 on: June 30, 2022, 01:32:40 PM »
^ I just leave it on. The battery life is already crazy long, and when I do power it up I typically want to pair it.

Same.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #383 on: July 03, 2022, 06:01:08 PM »
Is there NOT a low sensitivity setting for external mic input?  I only see it for the built in mics.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #384 on: July 03, 2022, 10:58:01 PM »
Is there NOT a low sensitivity setting for external mic input?  I only see it for the built in mics.

External Input Setting can be set to MIC IN or Audio IN.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #385 on: July 04, 2022, 09:36:36 AM »

External Input Setting can be set to MIC IN or Audio IN.

Like, as in,  External Preamp      

woo-hoo !!!!
off to the races, Becky !
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #386 on: July 05, 2022, 12:55:13 AM »

Question on BLUETOOTH.

Are you just pairing this one time with your phone and leaving bluetooth setting ON in the A-10 or switching bluetooth off when not in use?

In what way was it faulty?
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #387 on: July 05, 2022, 06:54:50 PM »

Question on BLUETOOTH.

In what way was it faulty?

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188246.msg2305460#msg2305460

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #388 on: July 05, 2022, 11:04:31 PM »
Just to confirm, this recorder can't be used as a usb audio interface, correct?

edit...no it can't.

Q&A on bhphoto answers this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1447756-REG/sony_pcm_a10_high_resolution_audio_recorder.html/qa
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 12:12:02 AM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Gaerlind

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #389 on: July 06, 2022, 05:39:03 AM »
Just to confirm, this recorder can't be used as a usb audio interface, correct?
Try Roland R07 - it also great sounds and have a lot of settings. Sometimes greater than A10.
With last firmware 1.10 (upgradable by user) it can work as external usb audiointerface.
https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/r-07/updates_drivers/a7768b97-e7e0-453a-b807-a1b5c7846a5f/
Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Olympus LS-100, Zoom H2n, Alesis PalmTrack, Philips DVT7500
Shure SM7B, Shure SM57, Rode NTG-2, Audio-Technica AT875R, Audio-Technica AT35s, Godox Movelink M2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com